First Generation Firebird
Posted By: tex68 leather interior - 11/25/10 05:35 AM
Hello,
Im new to the site and just wanted to know if there is any new info on 68s that has the 281 trim code (saddle leather)?
The 68 I bought this summer has that tag. would like to know how many were made?
thanks,Tex68
Posted By: pedlondarite Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 06:12 AM
Don't know the exact number but it's safe to say very few.

Score.

Does it still have the original interior?
Posted By: tex68 Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 06:19 AM
No, but i was thinking about having the seats redone back to leather.
still kicking it around.
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 01:14 PM
I would. What other options does it have?
Posted By: creekbob Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 02:49 PM
I would, too. If it is in your budget, do it.
Posted By: tex68 Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 03:41 PM
heres a picture. http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h334/traviscarver/IMG_4238.jpg
Posted By: quick68bird Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By tex68

Very nice! Where in Texas are you? I'm just outside DFDubya, close to Waxahachie.
Posted By: tex68 Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 07:59 PM
Here in corpus christi.
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 10:19 PM

Very nice. I look forward to seeing more picts as you go.
Posted By: quick68bird Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 10:33 PM
Here in corpus christi.

Cool, there some other fgf's there. Welcome to the site!
Posted By: Gus68 Re: leather interior - 11/25/10 10:49 PM
Very nice! Never seen a bird with the leather seats. Can you send us some pics of the leather seats?

I would definitely redo them in leather.
Posted By: tex68 Re: leather interior - 11/26/10 04:43 AM
thanks. theres about 7 or 8 first gens around town. im finding it to be lots fun and lots of good people.
Posted By: quick68bird Re: leather interior - 11/26/10 08:38 PM
thanks. theres about 7 or 8 first gens around town. im finding it to be lots fun and lots of good people.

I like to visit Corpus, I have family there. Never made it there with the bird though, I did take the T/A a couple of times. I'd like to get the bird there someday, as you mentioned, lots of good people, and I'd have to get a shot in font of the Lex and one in front of the shark.
Posted By: 1stgenbirdman Re: leather interior - 11/27/10 12:17 AM
From the FAQ section:

Q: '68 Saddle Leather Int (281)
While we are on the topic of seat material, can you clear up for me when the leather seats became available and in what colors?

A: Leather was an option in late '68 on the Firebird starting June 6th 1968. It was only available with the Custom Trim Option and was only available in one color.... code 281 which a Saddle color. This is a very rare option and has only been documented on a few '68 Firebirds in the Registry.

A: I have taken several pics (yet to be scanned though) of the interior of my RA convert which has factory 'saddle trim' (ie leather). the leather was just redone this past spring but it is nearly identical in color feel and apperance as the original. the rest of the interior is factory orig. the door panesl are 'faux' leather grain. the backs of the seats are orig (and are also tan). the dask is gold/tan and is in great condition but looks very different (ie when you are VERY used to seeing first gens with the black and occasional red dashes). other oddities of this option include a 'tan' carpet as standard. also my deluxe wheel is tan to match the interior. again, ill gladly post what i have if anyone would like to the set up.

A: The URLs for the saddle leather interior (281) for his '68 RA I are found at the following links:

https://firstgenfirebird.org/firebird/1968/docs/281_1.jpg
https://firstgenfirebird.org/firebird/1968/docs/281_2.jpg
https://firstgenfirebird.org/firebird/1968/docs/281_3.jpg
https://firstgenfirebird.org/firebird/1968/docs/281_4.jpg

A: In response to his's query about leather, it was offered in several GM cars, my 69 album shows leather in Bonneville Brougham convertible (black only) and available in the Grand Prix (green, gold, black) as well as Firebird (trim 293 gold). The 68 Firebird also offered leather (trim 281 saddle). The Firebirds were based on the Custom trim option, with the entire seat face in leather, just the sides were expanded Morrokide (actually Madrid grain vinyl). This is different than the Custom trimmed seats; they had a bolster panel of Madrid on each side of the 4 wide strips of knit-weave vinyl.

I believe the leather to be one of the rarest options in Firebirds. After almost 20 years of searching, I found a restorable 69 interior for my 69 Sprint convertible, and the guy who sold it thought there were 54 cars built in 69 with leather. I have been around these cars 25 years, and have only heard about or seen maybe 4 69's and 2 68's with leather. One of them is Scott Misus' 69 Sprint hardtop, another is a Sprint convertible that was listed on the owner's listing of that "jersey68" list. (Whatever happened to that guy, did he just abandon that list? It never seems to be updated!)

One odd thing I saw at the Irvine CA POCI meet was a restored 69 convertible that showed Burgundy/Leather on the trim tag (PNT65/TR293), but the car had Parchment Custom and I don't remember what color it was repainted. I never found the owner to ask him about the car. My album does not show this combo to be available, but it's what I would like my Sprint convertible to be. Who knows what may have slipped through on an order form? The album shows black, white, gold, champagne, maize, yellow, brown, and 3 greens could be had with any gold interior, but no reds, blues, or silver.

While I was digging around my parts book, I learned something else that may be of interest regarding the 68 Custom interiors without the knit-weave inserts. There are "first type-w/grained vinyl fabric" and "second type-w/knitted vinyl fabric" listed, and this only applies to a few colors. They are Teal (255), Turquoise (256), Gold (257), and Parchment (260, and 275 bench seat). I seem to recall seeing a couple of Black interior cars, but my parts book is dated July 1, 1969 and didn't indicate any 1st/2nd type material for any black interior codes.
Posted By: 1stgenbirdman Re: leather interior - 11/27/10 12:23 AM
By the way, look for Kel in a Black 68 with Red H.O. Stripes and red interior down in CC, he's the one you want to get in touch with as he has his finger on the Pulse of the Local FGF scene from Corpus to Houston!

https://firstgenfirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=792
is his car & info...

Brett - 67 Drop Top 455!
Posted By: tex68 Re: leather interior - 11/27/10 04:11 AM
Thanks for the info. and i did meet kelly last month, him and i have become firebird buds. ive meet a lot of firstgen owners through him.real nice guy.
Posted By: jose67bird Re: leather interior - 11/27/10 05:14 PM
very cool color combo! I like it. Won't see to many running around like it. I agree with everyone if you can afford it go original interior.
Posted By: Upstatenybird Re: leather interior - 03/11/24 08:05 PM
Hi everyone so I have recently purchased a 69 Firebird convert it is gold with parchment interior but the trim code is 293 leather the car is from California I’m trying to find information on it the car has a 428 in it date codes following 1969 on the engine I know it is not an original engine The gentleman that I bought it from has since passed you seem to have extensive GM knowledge but I’m really wanting to know is it possible to buy the leather interior kit for this car I guess it’s very rare
Maybe somebody can steer me in the right direction
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: leather interior - 03/12/24 02:39 PM
George,

Welcome to the 1st Gen site.

Yes, there was an option for gold leather in 1969. (Previous years had a saddle color.)

It is a rare option. There is no known record showing how many 1st gens got the leather. I believe the interior option code is on the trim tag on the firewall. But, if you would like a list of all the options originally, contact https://www.phs-online.com/ and for a charge they give you all the billing information.

Post some photos.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)