Q: Converting from Powerglide to TH350
I want to convert from Powerglide to TH350.
1. For street, non race applications, is the 3:32 to 1 rear end a good choice? My car really suffers from lack of low end power.
2. Is it true that I just need to change from a type 2 to type 3 carrier. I don’t need to change the axle assembly?
3. Since I’m changing to the TH350 and a type 3 carrier, can use my existing drive shaft?
4. Where can I get a 3 speed console shifter? Do I really need to change this as it just another detent position.?
A: 1. SInce you are changing to a TH350 you’ll be gaining an extra gear. Both the PG and TH350 have a 1:1 final ratio but the TH350 has the benifit of a lower first gear. The 3:32 gear is a good comprimise between performance and econimy. You will notice a big difference.
2. No. The existing rear-end will work great if you keep the gear set you have.
3: The TH350 is a DIRECT swap for a PG. the only thing that you need to change to make it totally correct is the detent in the shifter. But, it isn’t necessary. Some have just used a file to add a extra detent for the extra gear.
4: No (see above). But, if yo decide you need one, ask the F-List first. I have found them to be very helpful and honest.
Any proposed updates, changes, pictures, and/or corrections, please use our comment section below (may need to click on permalink to access comments feature). Information is subject to change and offered as is without any warranties or guarantees. Please review our Term's Of Use for more information.
Content last modified: January 20, 2014 at 10:09 pm