First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Bald61 OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/08/12 01:39 AM
I have an excellent running rebuilt OHC 6 in a 1969 firebird that I am going to swap out to a 3.6L LY7 or LLT drive train. Would like to sell original engine/trans./driveshaft/emblems. and 4 barrel carb and manifold. The engine is in the car and can be driven to verify its condition. Asking $2000.00 for all parts.
Posted By: Sprint OHC 6 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/08/12 07:26 PM
you have an extra zero in your asking price
Posted By: Bald61 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/08/12 07:52 PM
For that I'll set it in the garage and look at a bit of history!
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/08/12 11:56 PM
Not to be too critical, but I have to agree with Sprint OHC 6. The only $2000.0 price shift is how much less your car will be worth after you remove the Sprint drive-train. I can see swapping out a base OHC for a 400 engine combo, but removing a Sprint drive train to install a non-Pontiac drive-train will cost you dearly if you ever sell.
Posted By: Bald61 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/09/12 04:05 AM
If the value of the complete drivetrain is $200.00 as Sprint OHC 6 claims, then there is no value to be lost. Hell, a Ford 300 six is more valuable than that sold as a pump engine! The car was purchased to make a dependable, fuel efficient, great looking driver and a LY7 or LLT will provide that.
Posted By: ho428 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/09/12 07:42 PM
For a complete Sprint 6 driveline your price is above the extreme upper end and the market is very limited, but $200 is redicules. The carb and air cleaner is worth more than that if it's correct.

But, as said, pulling a Sprint for a non original V6 will kill the value unless you're doing some sort of very nice Pro Tour build.
Even then you'd be better off with an LS swap.

I see nothing to be gained by the swap you're proposing.
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/09/12 08:22 PM
I know Sprint 6 was exaggerating, but he is closer to the correct price verses $2000. I think the right number is around $500. If broken into parts, you will definitely make more money than the entire drivetrain. The problem you will have is there is a small population (and I mean very small) out there wanting these motors, many more are pulling them than installing them. This coupled with high shipping is going to kill most deals. Most OHC owners (myself included) already have their motors in hand and don't need another except some parts here and there.

And to answer your question, yes a Ford 300 drivetrain is probably worth more. Many more applications, very reliable and parts are easy to obtain. For the OHC, very limited applications (Firebird and Tempest), can be a finicky engine, and extremely hard to find parts.
Posted By: ho428 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/09/12 08:47 PM
One option is to offer it to the Rat Rod crowd. It's unusual, runs and it's a complete driveline.

Maybe try the HAMB board with some pics.

Posted By: Loffen Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/09/12 09:12 PM
Why do you not just sell the bird and buy a mustang ??
Posted By: Bald61 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/21/12 04:44 PM
Thanks guys for the advice and comments. My main goal in this project was to give my 17 year old a classic looking car, with decent power, and excellent MPG. I had hoped to keep the OHC 6 in the car but unfortunately my son shows no interest in maintenance or mechanical aptitude. And that is the main reason behind looking at the LY7 or LLT V6 engine variant. I have located a complete G8 drive train and will be looking into it further. Does anyone know of a LY7/LLT install into a first gen Firebird/Camaro. Any help would be appreciated!
Posted By: Firebob Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/21/12 06:23 PM
The best thing to do is keep the original drivetrain to sell with the car. It sounds like your 17 yr old will sell it in a heartbeat if he ever gets the pink slip in his name. I don't care what kind of drivetrain it runs these cars are old technology and need constant maintanence and upkeep especially if he drives it like most 17yr olds. My son and I build a hot rod when he was in high school as a project because he needed the focus. Well that was 8 or 9 years ago. He's been off a college for 7 years(still has a year to go), is getting married in a couple of months and it is still sitting smack in the middle of my garage and doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon. Man, I could really use that space!! He doesn't want to sell it because we put alot of time and effort into it.
Just my $.02. Do what you want.
Posted By: Bald61 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/21/12 07:03 PM
Robert,

That will probably be my story as well, thanks for the advice. Have a nice weekend!

Brad
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/23/12 01:01 AM
Just to give you an idea of what a OHC drivetrain is worth, one was on EBay a little while back and the bid got up to $26.00. Now this wasn't a Sprint drivetrain but that should give you an idea what to expect.
Posted By: Firebob Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 04/27/12 03:14 AM
Brad,
Sorry about that. I sounded kind of bitter. I'm not saying it was all bad!! We had a great time building it together and it did keep him out of trouble for those couple of years so it was totally worth it but in hindsight I should've had a plan of what to do with it after it was done. The biggest enjoyment I get out of it now is starting it up once in a while and pissing off the neighbors. Hardly worth the space it takes up.
If ohc is a barrel sprint and runs , its worth the $ 2000,00 your asking , If its 1 barrel it less in price , but parted out worth lot, carb $400 manfold seen go for 275 if it the 4 barrel manfold,
oil pump is now RR only So its worth a little bit ect trust me i just built mine , heres a picture. https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531235_10151094008326873_1943930314_n.jpg
Posted By: Bald61 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 07/29/12 03:56 PM
RJ,

Thanks for the photo, really nice build. Yeah, I know the price of the rebuild, Mine is set up with a 1 barrel to drive around and has a complete 4 barrel set up as well. Thanks.
Posted By: MoGas Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 07/29/12 06:01 PM
Do you have any pictures?
Posted By: Bald61 Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 08/21/12 02:57 AM
Sorry for the slow reply, I have been working out of the country and just returned. I'll get some pictures and video clip of the engine running. Let me know specifically what you want the pictures of and I will try to get you the best info. I have closed a deal on an alternate powertrain, so I will have the following components available.

engine/transmission complete in running condition
4 bbl carb and manifold
radiator
4 rims and tires Cragar/BFGoodrich
2 original bucket seats
complete rear seat

Thanks.
Posted By: OHCMarc Re: OHC 6 engine/transmissions, etc. - 02/20/13 10:53 AM
I would like to see some pics of the car if you still have it.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)