First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Adam Kontis Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/30/07 04:31 PM
Hello all,

just checking to see what's the best way to clean/buff the rear plastic window on a vert ?

Thanks
adam
Posted By: if6was9 Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/30/07 05:54 PM
Adam,

don't for any reason, use glass or general purpose (409, Clorox) cleaner. I use 303 cleaner and protectant.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=kits

The 303 is a little pricey, but it’s worth it. My top isn’t that old, but it was starting to turn a little gray (sun fade). 303 made it look like new. I use the cleaner on the window but not the protectant. The protectant will leave swirls.

Also use a sponge or micro fiber cloth to clean the window, and use a squeegee to pull the water off. This reduces scratches.
Posted By: Spiderman Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/31/07 02:32 AM
Thanks Tom.
I was wondering the same thing.
Posted By: Adam Kontis Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/31/07 04:20 PM
Thanks for the info on the cleaner, but need some info on get little scratches out so i have better visibility and look better too... somekind of buffing system...

Thanks
adam
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/31/07 04:54 PM
get new plastic sewn in by an upholstery shop....
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/31/07 06:27 PM
My window was so fogged by age (and sun) that polishing wouldn't do anything. The plastic loses clarity over the years. I had to have mine replaced.
Posted By: dynawolf Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/31/07 06:46 PM
Has anyone tried the "flitz-it" or any metal polish on the back windows? The stuff worked great on my tail light lens.
Posted By: if6was9 Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/31/07 07:22 PM
Vinyl is to soft to get scratches out. Replacement is the only way I know to rid yourself of scratches and fogging/sun fade. That's why great care must be taken when the window is new. They do make a glass rear window. but it's two pieces joined by vinyl. So you have an annoying strip in the middle of the window.
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/31/07 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By if6were9
Vinyl is to soft to get scratches out. Replacement is the only way I know to rid yourself of scratches and fogging/sun fade. That's why great care must be taken when the window is new. They do make a glass rear window. but it's two pieces joined by vinyl. So you have an annoying strip in the middle of the window.

plus that "vinyl" strp is the weak point ,often loosens there...plus with the real glass , top takes more space down ,= harder to install the boot
Posted By: 1stgenbirdman Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 12/29/10 03:40 AM
303 will help clear up some of the micro scratches and make it look a lot better. I've used it for 10 tears now on my sun faded top and rear window and most think my top is only a few years old. I thought that was one of the first things I was going to have to do to the car when I bought it. (or just keep the top down!) But 303 gave it new life even if some of the seams are coming undone...

As others have said you really can't polish the soft material of the window. IF, you do try, try a very small area under the top flap if possible where it won't show. But any type of polish will be adding scratches and heat which may also warp the window in additions to the swirl scratches...

Try the 303, you may be surprised at how much it may help as is. And if you replace the top or just the window, you'll be able to protect it for years to come with the 303 you buy.

Brett!
Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 12/29/10 07:16 AM
Meguiars plast-x works great, I used it on the inside and outside and came out very good, compared to the previous state of 15 plus years of "screw it, just put the top down" abuse wink

I put it on by hand, this spring I'll try a DA buffer just for kicks.

Also works great on the plastic headlamps that have yellowed or are scratched.
Posted By: bmwduo Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 03/10/11 06:09 AM
Plexus is what you need. This stuff was originaly developed for aviation winsheilds and has now made its way into the marine and motorcycle industries. The last several helmets I purchased had stickers saying to only clean the visors with it. I have used it on convertible windows since I first found it about 10 years ago. Any good bike shop should have it or on line at www.plexus.com
Posted By: Rohebo Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 03/17/11 11:37 PM
Here is the correct link for Plexus

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

I've never tried it, but I think I'm convinced.
Posted By: garlanka Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 06/24/11 06:58 AM
Not to move the post in a different direction, but with the issues with cleaning the plastic, should I go with glass?
Posted By: berndude Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 11/19/11 02:26 PM
Hello
I can't remember the name off the top of my head but if you go to a boat store they have some stuff that comes in a small grey bottle that works excellent on the plastic windows in the canvas covers. removes the scratches
Posted By: Homebrw Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 07/09/12 05:41 AM
I have used Novus in the past. It is good for removing scratches f from lots of things. We have used it in the pinball restoration hobby for a long while. It was originally intended for motorcycle clear plastic windshields. Harley shops even sell it. The number 2 in a red and white squeeze bottle works for most smaller scratches and haze.

Chris
Posted By: Toplessbird Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 08/30/13 01:24 AM
I use Plexus with a microfiber towel. The window looks great !
Posted By: Firebob Re: Vert, Plastic Rear Window - 09/24/13 04:39 AM
Someone told me pledge furniture polish works good. I haven't tried it yet.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)