First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Sleddog Looking for my first Bird!! 68 400 4sp. - 01/27/11 07:56 PM
Hey all,

I recently joined this site and appreciate all the information from you guys! Previous owner of 69 & 70 Chevelles, 81 Camaro and a Harley. (Wish i had a time machine)

I am trying to find a 68 vert with a 400 and a 4 speed. Numbers match would be great, but not required. I would like to find something needing minimal work, but for the right price would look at anything. Not in a huge hurry, but if something comes along that would be great. Located in Iowa but can travel if need be.

Thanks!
Sleddog
Check out Tyson's post for his '67 -400 'vert. project he is selling. It's in Iowa as well. But it does need lots of work. A good shop could get it done by spring though...

Haven't seen any responses for a few weeks, so I don't know if he sold it or not.

Look under "for sale" posts.
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Looking for my first Bird!! 68 400 4sp. - 01/28/11 05:43 PM
Thanks for the reply 68tpls400!

I thought about it, he has a good foundation going on there for it, but I guess I am just stuck on the 68 year for some reason. I have been looking on and off for a few months, but not very aggressively. I am just now getting back into the muscle car scene, and looking at pictures of cars like yours (and others) makes me realize what I have been missing. You have a couple of nice rides!! Did you do the work yourself or hire it?

I went to High School with a guy who had a 68 coupe, and I loved that car. I have 3 boys now, and the oldest likes the muscle cars as well- pretty cool!

Awesome cars you have! Post pics as you progress on the coupe- would love to see them.
Thanks. I found the '68 'vert in DC 5 years ago. It had undergone a minor resto in '88. Hasn't been touched since, (other than a few small parts to bring it back to 98% original). I had the E/T gone through last winter. All 100% original sheet metal.

The '67 had a frame off resto (hired out). I did the interior stuff myself. Had the E/T rebuilt.

Plan on a frame off resto for the coupe with RAII clone to the engine. (for the "cool" factor as Joe says) smile

I'll post some picts as I go. Likely sometime after the snow is gone...
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Looking for my first Bird!! 68 400 4sp. - 01/28/11 06:48 PM
Fantastic! Will look for the pics.

Did you see the 69 selling on Mecum today? Nice ride!

Lot F39 been in a couple of magazines it looks like. I'll send you the link if you need it.
not a vert but check out my pics and make me an offer
I am a new member to the group. I haven't fully decided if I want to sell/Trade/or Keep my 68 Firebird Sprint. From all the research I have done this car is Extremely Rare. It is a garage find. I have had the car roughly 6 years and it's to the point of selling or fixing. The car has been in a concrete floor garage for atleast the last 2o years. It is completely original besides being painted one time years ago. It is a coupe car/Automatic/Etched side windows. The under carriage looks like new. Quarters, Rockers, Trunk, Doors, etc...are rust free. The car needs a complete resto. The 4.1 runs but smokes, Trans works but leaks fluid. It's ALL original. The car is green with black interior. Does anyone have any info on how many of these were made? I have never seen another one myself. Probably less than 100 are still around if I had to guess that are coupes and automatics. Any info would be great. I haven't fully decided on what I plan on doing but I would possibly be open to trading for a better shape less rare car or if the cash was right I may sell. Thanks!!!
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Looking for my first Bird!! 68 400 4sp. - 04/28/11 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By chicagofire1
not a vert but check out my pics and make me an offer

Do you have more than one pic?
From Which guy are you looking for pics?
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Looking for my first Bird!! 68 400 4sp. - 04/28/11 03:05 AM
I appreciate the offer Chicagofire1, but i have my heart set on a vert. Nice ride though!!
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Looking for my first Bird!! 68 400 4sp. - 04/28/11 08:20 AM
Originally Posted By Sprint Bird
From Which guy are you looking for pics?

Welcome Sprint Bird,

I think you should a new thread for your car so things don't get confusing.

Good luck with your car!
Has an automatic trans, but presents itself well...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-F...5fCarsQ5fTrucks
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Looking for my first Bird!! 68 400 4sp. - 05/06/11 06:25 PM
Not a bad looking bird Craig, but i have my sights on a 400.. Know what I want, but maybe I am to picky.. LOL I plan on having the Bird a long time, so am trying to get what I want.. Appreciate the effort though! This site is full of great folks who definately know there cars...
is that spoiler an original option? i have never seen that
Originally Posted By old dude 1968
is that spoiler an original option? i have never seen that

I guess I'm not seeing a spoiler. Which car are you looking at?

Front and rear spoilers were not OEM for fgf's. Front air dams did come on 400 and A/C cars though.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)