First Generation Firebird
Posted By: slcagg_11 New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/04/16 12:26 AM
So I'm new and I have been looking at getting a firebird for a bit. This one is kinda in my area but I was hoping that you could help me with this. I'm not sure if I can get this one but it your information might help me as I search.

So here is what the guy gave as the description:
This is a 1967 firebird 400 clone that has been assembled with parts from several firebirds. It has a 1967 body, 1968 front wraparound, and a 1977 Pontiac 400 engine. The engine has a high lift cam, an edlebrock manifold, with a holly 4 barrel. The car was an original 1967 sprint 6 cylinder. It has a 400 hood with a hood tack in working condition. The majority of the exterior of the car is very nice with no rust. There is a small amount of rust beneath the rear window, and on the drivers lower door.The car was restored approximately 15 years ago, however was driven in snowy conditions for several years. The interior and underside of the car needs work. All floor panels need to be replaced, the shock towers are rusted thru in the rear. The trunk pan also needs to be replaced. The unibody frame has slight damage on the drivers side and is rusted. The car is a great fixer-upper. I got a quote to do all the underside bodywork and undercoat the car for $6000. I bought the car approximately 2 years ago for 10K thinking it was in better condition than it is. All interior, and the motor is currently removed from the car.

Attached picture image_1.jpg
Attached picture image_2.jpg
Attached picture image_8.jpg
Attached picture image_3.jpg
Attached picture image_4.jpg
Posted By: salmon38 Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/07/16 02:19 PM
How much is he asking for?

Looks pretty on the outside but is rough from the description. None of the photos show the worst items (floor pans, shock towers). You are looking at a huge " some assembly required" project with significant rust issues. So you face a couple of daunting issues with how bad is the rust really (unknown until completely disassembled and exterior paint checked or better yet removed) and "Are all the parts I need really in all these boxes?" The current owner has done you a disservice by partially disassembling the car as you were not able to document how things were installed. This will make reassembly much more difficult if this is your first FGF project. There is the issue of the car being far from original so there is no collectiblity factor along with a lot of custom touches for taste that were done like the Camaro rear spoiler, aftermarket painted mirrors and small, wide tires and wheels.

My opinion is that you are looking at something that will take a long time and a lot of money to be back on the road again. More of each than I would be willing to invest unless I had a lot of both at hand. Depending on your skill level you are looking at investing 2 to 3 times what the car would be worth when you are done, so you really need to want to keep it forever.
Posted By: Cal H Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/07/16 02:59 PM
I agree with what salmon said. Even worse, you really do not even know if the engine runs or needs a rebuild.
Did not say anything about the transmission, again, it may or may not be ok.
I also suspect the $6,000 figure for the underbody r&r. You cannot hardly get a paint job now for $6,000.
IMHO, this car is for someone with deep pockets or a lot of skill, time and desire to bring it back.
Cal
Posted By: bill v Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/07/16 03:51 PM
Hello, welcome aboard.

As you are, I'm a rookie too although we've had our car for 37 years and have a great familiarity with it. I'm no expert but Salmon and Cal are 2 of the many experts here on this site.

Having said that I do have an opinion from my view.

We have our eye on keeping our 69 as original as possible, from my view with that goal. it seems to me that car is a long way from that. don't know if that matters to you or not but, if it does it's something to consider.

Good luck, take your time finding the one you want.

bill v

Oh ,buy the way, Utah is awesome, hunted it a few years ago (Wasatch, above Solider Summit) and can't wait to come back soon
Posted By: salmon38 Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/08/16 01:42 AM
A couple of more thoughts: I really have begun to wonder how old those photos are. I see an intact car with the under-body shots showing none of the really significant rust issues he is describing. All I see is surface rust on the upper side of the trunk floor and the 2nd shot shows the tops of the rear shock mount points and they look fine there. This car really needs to be seen to see it's real current condition.

The other thought is that if it had been left with it's original drivetrain (as a Sprint model) the value of the car in good condition would have been considerably higher. The previous owners did no one a favor there.
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/08/16 02:43 AM
Probably not a real Sprint as it is missing the left traction bar. More likely it was a base 6 and incorrectly labeled as a Sprint, happens all the time. The rocker trim emblems are also missing but those could be replacements.

I would also be concerned about the front frame members if there entire front clip was replaced. Carefully inspect the front end.
Posted By: Cal H Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/08/16 05:18 AM
Bill V- I think it was Mark Twain that said an expert is someone from out of town?
By that definition I might be - but only by that definition!
But thanks anyhow!
Cal

And yes, there are sure enough some experts on the site.
In this thread I am just a guy with an opinion to share...
Posted By: slcagg_11 Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/08/16 08:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was kind of weary of the car because of all the different modifications and that he has disassembled it. I will keep an eye out still, this actually helps me a lot to know what to look for.
Posted By: salmon38 Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/08/16 02:02 PM
You will always find us here available and happy to pick apart any potential purchase. grin grin grin

Seriously, we want to make sure you find what you want for an initial reasonable investment and to try and protect you from paying too much like the seller of this car experienced.
Posted By: Clazer1 Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/12/16 09:45 AM
Totally new to this forum 🙃 Howdy!

Trying to get some information on a car I bought, wether it's a real 67 326 HO and how to tell... Hopefully I made a good investment.
Posted By: salmon38 Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 07/13/16 02:10 PM
First, welcome to FGF.

2nd, New Topics is a small tab at the main sub-forum screen above the listing of topics in the upper left corner directly under the Forum listing header that contains "Forum List - My Stuff - Calendar - Active Topics - Search - Forum Help"

3rd, Firebird owners are much better off than our Chevy cousins in the fact that you can sent $75 to Pontiac Historical Services and receive copies of all the original factory paperwork for you car.
Posted By: Jerry T Re: New to game. Looking at 67 Firebird - 12/04/18 12:47 AM
I have a 67 400 and the body works and paunting are complete rust free i jave photos of resto start to finish and at 15500 it's a steal motor runs great trans is fine need a complete interior resto
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)