First Generation Firebird
Posted By: 69-er AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/19/10 05:12 AM
Does anybody know how the ground wire is routed for the blower motor on '68 AC cars? It's separate from the main AC harness as the old and new harness does not have it. I remember it was just draped across the evaporator, but the harness was pretty hacked up, so I can't trust the way it was.

As usual, thanks again!

Larry
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/19/10 08:17 AM
I only see a small portion of the black wire by the motor under the fender but cannot tell where it is connected to ground. The purple + comes out of the area alone on mine. If nobody else answers this for you, I can try to see if I can see it with a mirror and lighting.

On a side note, do you know about the separate high speed fan wire and fuse run directly from the alternator?
Posted By: 69-er Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/19/10 04:48 PM
Thanks Jim. I remember seeing a diagram somewhere. There was what looked like a male terminal bent at a 90 that was held by one of the blower screws. The ground wire female terminal then attached to that and I believe it ran to the firewall ground. But being a drawing, I couldn't be sure how it was routed. I have the purple wire along with the temp sensor wires routed around the front of the evaporator case.

Let me ask you this, how many grounds are under your firewall screw? I have the copper strap and the blower motor relay ground attached so far.

Yes, I do have the fused wire from the alternator to the relay. It's a new harness too.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/19/10 05:59 PM
You mean these?

Attached picture FirewallGrounds.jpg
Posted By: 69-er Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/19/10 08:32 PM
My ground is in the vicinity of the lower right one. I don't know if I have a hole where the upper left ground is. Does the upper left ground wire go into the AC harnnes? I'm thinking there should be a lone ground wire for the blower too.

What's the small wire crossing the copper braid and main AC harness? It looks like it has a blue crimp terminal.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/19/10 11:08 PM
I believe the upper left black ground wire goes to the AC relay ground. It does join the ac harness but it looks to be within only an inch or two of wrappings. The wire with the crimp splice comes out of the wire cluster that runs through the firewall plastic trough. It appears to run down to the trans (kickdown switch maybe?). I suspect the splice got added when I had some previous trans work done and the wire needed replacement.
Posted By: 69-er Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/20/10 02:27 AM
The description of the black wire sounds like the same wire for my relay too.

So, we're still one ground wire short. You don't see a lone black wire in the vicinity of the evap case? I wonder where they would have grounded it?
Posted By: Pete67400 Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/20/10 05:56 AM
I've been following this discussion, but my 67 has a blower ground wire taped to the power wire as part of the harness, so I can't help directly. I did search through my collection of A/C related pictures and found this one. It appears to be a '69 (with the vacuum controlled heater core valve). It looks as though there is a wire going from the ground spade connector up to the stud on the firewall. Do you have a ground wire that would reach to there?

Also, even though the picture shows the wires going over the top of the evaporator, that is incorrect. They should go under the POA valve bracket and around the front side of the evaporator.

Attached picture Fb-ac-04.jpg
Attached picture 67 Firebird Restored Engine Compartment 3.JPG
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/20/10 08:11 AM
Larry,
I checked with a light and mirror. The blower motor black/ground wire leaves the motor and is routed straight up and I can not see or get my hand far enough into the area under the fender to see where it terminates or goes. My guess is that it goes to a case to firewall screw right at the blower like I see Pontiac and Tempest sketches show.

Posted By: 69-er Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/20/10 05:33 PM
Originally Posted By Jimc2002
Larry,
I checked with a light and mirror. The blower motor black/ground wire leaves the motor and is routed straight up and I can not see or get my hand far enough into the area to see where it goes. My guess is that it goes to a case to firewall screw right at the blower like I see Pontiac and Tempest sketches show.

I know there are either errors/changes/differences that have been made in wires in the area in '68 because Pontiac documentation does not even agree on the color of the positive lead to the blower. Compare the wiring diagrams from the '68 POntiac Diagnostic Manual compared to the '68 Wiring Diagram.

You know, I think I'm just going to run a wire from the blower to a case stud like the 69. It can't be seen anyway.

On the wiring discrepancies, I noticed that the lower diagram, like the one I have, isn't even the correct schematic for the Firebird. The "Master Relay" isn't used as a master but is for the high blower speed, like my 68 and most other cars.

Thanks for you and Pete taking the time to research this for me. One more problem down and XX to go!
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/20/10 07:08 PM
Want to see another error? Check out the dash shown in the '68 Sales Manual:

Attached picture DocErrInstSG.jpg
Posted By: 69-er Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 11/20/10 08:07 PM
Yep! Wiper and headlight switches!

If I had the time I would love to sit down and draw up another set of wiring diagrams for the Firebird like I did for the Camaro. It's really time consuming because I use actual factory harnesses to dissect and draw them like they really are. Here's a sample.

Attached File
Posted By: Gus68 Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 09/05/11 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By 69-er
Yep! Wiper and headlight switches!

If I had the time I would love to sit down and draw up another set of wiring diagrams for the Firebird like I did for the Camaro. It's really time consuming because I use actual factory harnesses to dissect and draw them like they really are. Here's a sample.

Assume diagram Larry, really helped me out. If you could others that would be great!
Posted By: Gus68 Re: AC Blower Motor Ground Wire Routing - 09/05/11 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By 69-er
Originally Posted By Jimc2002
Larry,
I checked with a light and mirror. The blower motor black/ground wire leaves the motor and is routed straight up and I can not see or get my hand far enough into the area to see where it goes. My guess is that it goes to a case to firewall screw right at the blower like I see Pontiac and Tempest sketches show.

I know there are either errors/changes/differences that have been made in wires in the area in '68 because Pontiac documentation does not even agree on the color of the positive lead to the blower. Compare the wiring diagrams from the '68 POntiac Diagnostic Manual compared to the '68 Wiring Diagram.

You know, I think I'm just going to run a wire from the blower to a case stud like the 69. It can't be seen anyway.

On the wiring discrepancies, I noticed that the lower diagram, like the one I have, isn't even the correct schematic for the Firebird. The "Master Relay" isn't used as a master but is for the high blower speed, like my 68 and most other cars.

Thanks for you and Pete taking the time to research this for me. One more problem down and XX to go!

I'm a little late with this but it will be useful to others...

© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)