First Generation Firebird
Posted By: blazze68convert fuse box help - 05/12/11 03:19 AM
I have a few Questions about my fuse box, I have a orange and blk wire under my dash near the fuse box, and im not sure where it goes (i think the fuse box). I think it comes from a small box that says littel fuse above the master cylinder and goes through the firewall. Also Im not sure of all of the amps on the fuse box, does anyone have a diagram? Lastly what goes in the 4 small squares on the fuse box(doesn't looks like they dont fit a tube fuse? There's three running down the middle of the fuse box and one on the bottom left.
Thanks for the help

Posted By: nashville68bird Re: fuse box help - 05/12/11 06:25 AM
Interesting. I do not have that little firewall junction connector on my 68 Coupe, but it does appear the big orange line does go into the firewall on yours. I'd guess it was convertible-specific or aftermarket option. Where does that other black wire from the small junction box wind up, Blazze? Seems to be heading toward the engine or the front end of the car. Let us know.

As for the strange fuze box slots with no fuzes in them...they are terminals for you to use to power accesories:
BATT - this is a live connection straight to battery power, 12Volts, always hot.
ACC - This is a 12Volt connector that is hot when the key is on, but not hot when the key is off and removed.
IGN - Can't remember specifics, but like ACC its hot when the key is engaged and ignition is fired.
LMPS - used to power extra aftermarket lamps and lighting like fog-lights, etc.

Dude, do not hook any accesories up to these four terminals without asking folks on this website for suggestions and sanity checks. You can easily screw things up very quickly plugging into these terminals erroneously. But when used correctly, they are your friends.
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: fuse box help - 05/12/11 01:02 PM
Does 'big red' go to the coil perhaps? Can't tell from the fuse pic where it is patched in but I have seen the ignition resistive wire removed and patched back that way when switching to electronic ignition. The terminal block is not stock but looks like it's been there awhile... a different animal, but would make a good switched power point if it was associated with the ignition.
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: fuse box help - 05/12/11 03:37 PM
Does your car have A/C?
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: fuse box help - 05/12/11 03:41 PM
I do not have that little firewall junction connector on my 69 vert either...never seen one, that I can recall...after market item?
Posted By: 8point Re: fuse box help - 05/12/11 03:55 PM
On my 67 the firewall connector is for the convertible top motor.
Also could be for power windows or other power options.
( I think it is a circuit braker)
Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: fuse box help - 05/12/11 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By 8point
On my 67 the firewall connector is for the convertible top motor.
Also could be for power windows or other power options.
( I think it is a circuit braker)

Correct, it is a circuit breaker, factory installed for power options such as power vert top, windows and maybe factory A/C cars, not sure about that though.

RockAuto calls it a stud circuit breaker, 30 amps.

If you do use that connection for additional power accessories, make sure you're not going to run both or more at the same time.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: fuse box help - 05/12/11 05:38 PM
I don't have it on my 68, but there are two dimples in the firewall in that position for mounting screws.
Al.
Posted By: prs67 Re: fuse box help - 05/12/11 09:36 PM
i have that orange with black stripe wire coming from a breaker on fire wall, runs to fuse panel. i have that wire plugged into battery fused spade in fuse panel. i have power windows on my 67. but there is a pink wire that comes from window harness that plugs into acc for power to windows. as far as getting a wire diagram, u can go online and find them or i think classic industries has manuals u can order also.
good luck with ur wiring, did a bunch this winter, it can get frustrating.
Posted By: blazze68convert Re: fuse box help - 05/13/11 05:41 AM
Ok, Thanks for helping me out. I checked it out again today. That wire comes off of that breaker on the firewall and then goes down near the engine/front lights wire plug and goes through the firewall. There, it splits into two plugs, one that goes and connects to a big red wire that plugs into the vert top switch, the other one is just hanging there. Maybe I should plug it into the battery spot on the fuse panel like prs67 has his?
Posted By: CATBIRD Re: fuse box help - 05/17/11 05:19 AM
Leave that wire alone! If you plug it into the battery connection, you will bypass the circuit breaker. If you have an overload in your power top circuit, you would still have power flowing even if the breaker trips. That connector is for power windows or seats. If you don't have them just leave it......John
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)