First Generation Firebird
I just wanted to post how pleased I have been with KBS Coatings - Xtreme Temperature coating paint. I had originally painted my 400 motor with Bill Hirsch's paint. The paint burned off the exhaust ports fairly quick and I was always touching them up. They would turn bronze after 20-30 min of driving.

I had seen information on KBS Coatings - Xtreme Temperature coating and though I would give it a try, They have Pontiac blue metallic however it is a different shade then Bill Hirsch's.

I painted the exhaust ports as instructed. I have a few hours running the engine and still it has not even turned. Looks the same as the day I painted them.

I just wanted to share my experience with it and let other know there is a paint that seems like it will stay on the exhaust ports now.

Here is a link to the extreme coating paint. https://www.kbs-coatings.com/XTC.html

I have also tried their cast color on my Long Branch Exhaust and it has done great as well.

Here is a photo of my exhaust ports after several hours running it.

Thanks

Attached picture IMG_0386.jpg
Hi Harold,

Maybe we should evaluate your new product based on it's own merits first and not compare against Hirsch. Hirsch has 40+ years in business. I found no negative feedback on them. I think we need more testing and feedback from both products. Can barely type today so I will do bullets:

- I looked at KBS website - very good presentation and appears product is of high quality
- from Aussland but also based in US
- products comparable with others in industry
- good support
- I ordered some paint chips to see what the engine color looks like
- will purchase some to test on my 2nd engine to compare to Hirsch
All I can say is after having to re-paint the exhaust ports a dozen times or more with Bill Hirsch paint, I have finally got one that is not burning off. However the color is not as pretty as Bill Hirschs.

I like the color that Bill Hirsch's has which is why I don't think I would do the whole motor. I Think I would continue to use Bill's on the motor and just use the KBS on the very hot spots.

It will not match exact but it looks better then burned off paint. If you want to match exact, then do the whole motor in KBS paints.

Here is a picture were someone did the whole motor. It is out in natural light. The Pontiac Blue Metallic is not as nice as Bill Hirsch. Don't know what color they painted the intake.

Attached picture 33513346_10213895447918917_1404231534428291072_n.jpg
I learned a little trick from a Pontiac motor rebuilder friend. When he rebuilt my motor he sprayed the areas that burn with silver high temp header paint, then very quickly, while it is still wet he hit it with a very light coat of Hirsch blue. The idea is that the two mixed will not burn as quickly. It seems mine worked pretty well. I’ve had a lot of people tell me they can’t believe how well mine has held up.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)