First Generation Firebird
Posted By: lotsatas 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/05/10 11:26 PM
I bought a front bumper for my 67 Firebird from Classic Industries. It was a made in China bumper that would not fit without using brute force to make it fit. I had to use force to get the twist out of the bumper so it would fit. My biggest error was doing this. I should have just shipped it back then and there. Instead I went onward and with force, made it fit. After it was all insttalled I cleaned off all the white chrome compound and discovered severe grind marks in the bumper. I could not accept this and prepared to send it back. I was told that since it was installed and had bolt marks on it, that it was not returnable. I complained (without sucess)that it was not usable anyway and no one would want this bumper in the condition that it was in.
So BEWARE. I got burned.
Posted By: Lupdiesel Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/09/10 06:45 PM
Welcome to the world of China/Taiwan Parts. I ran into the same problem but using a vendor in town. The metal work under the chrome was very bad. This is my first restoration and I'm learing sooo much.
There's two options.. #1. You already went that route. OR #2 Buy a used (orginial) one and have it rechromed..

I have been VERY dissapointed in the amount of money it cost for these cheap parts that dont fit...

Ok, I'll stop venting and get back to work....
Posted By: lotsatas Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/12/10 02:48 PM
Yup...In the end I took my original bumper and had it rechromed. It was cheaper to buy the new bumper from Classic Industries than it was to have the original rechromed. That is why I went that route in the first place.
Live and learn....In the future I will be re-chroming the original parts.
Posted By: dynawolf Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/12/10 09:51 PM
Where can you get a "better" bumper? I need to replace my original rear bumper and was going to buy from classic. Not now.
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/12/10 11:08 PM
buy used, or get a doner and have it re-plated. (or both)

There are still some pretty nice, used, originals out there. I found on in San Fran a year ago that I would call an 8.5 out of 10.

I bought a front re-plated one and have been very happy with that as well. It will cost you a bit more than a re-pop, but it weighs twice as much and will last longer, and I won't have to mention the nice fit.

I have a couple of xtra fronts in need of re-plating if anyone is interested.
Posted By: lotsatas Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/13/10 12:11 AM
Quote:
It will cost you a bit more than a re-pop, but it weighs twice as much and will last longer, and I won't have to mention the nice fit.

Exactly!!!!

I have a rear one here, but I am in Canada. Probably a little too far away.
Posted By: Lupdiesel Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/13/10 02:44 AM
I even emailed GM Goodmark Industries on where their bumpers are made....I was sooooo suprised to get a responce back with an answer...made in taiwan...
I'm a GM mechanic and worked at GM dealers for 10 years. I get new AC Delco parts in an AC Delco box, and inside, the new part is in a bag that says made in china (or taiwan,korea). I'd say that happens 90% of the time.
I don't think you can get good quality parts anymore. Not just in the restoration world but in the automotive world in general... Just my 2 cents...
Posted By: Lupdiesel Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 08/29/10 10:23 PM
There was an Ames booth at the T/A nats, and they had the same front bumper for sale that I bought through another vendor. The manufacture's name is Golden Legion. The bumpers look good from about 6 feet away....
Posted By: dillin Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/29/11 08:14 AM
Where is a good place to get bumpers fixed and rechromed?
What is the approximate cost?
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 07/29/11 03:26 PM
Keystone plating. I think the going rate a couple of years ago was $350-$400 per bumper. They will straighten/repair your old one as needed.
Posted By: go2fast Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 12/26/11 02:16 AM
I got repros too. The rear one is actually pretty good. The front one is the worst POS I've ever seen. It's not even cut right around the curves. They should be ashamed to even release a part like that (both the manufacturer and the vendor). I still have my original which I'll have redone in the coming months.
Posted By: binskyhere Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 12/30/11 05:54 PM
Keystone is charging $485 for either the front or back bumpers. Not cheap but will fit like a glove.
Posted By: berndude Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 01/02/12 06:30 AM
Now I'm concerned, bought one several months ago and have not yet had it out of the box for a good inspection. Classic has a lot of crap made in China and thye are marketing their "OER" brand now to a lot of other places for resale
Posted By: christian Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 08/11/12 03:41 PM
So how can you tell if the bumpers on my car are
repops or oem?
did the originals have a part number on them?
What about the repops??

Chris
Posted By: m69wizard Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 08/25/12 03:18 AM
Sometimes hard to tell. I have seen part numbers on the repops. I think the only real way to tell is to see how well it fits and how well it is made.
Posted By: socaljoe Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 08/29/12 04:33 PM
Best thing for chrome is to ask around the local car guys to see who is good and who they had problems with. Keystone is a national company and some of their plants are good; others not so good. In L.A. I would not use them for chrome plating. I would go to Faith Plating for bumpers.
Posted By: Lupdiesel Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 10/21/12 05:29 PM
My 67 front bumper has a "made in Canada" stamp on it. I assume it's orginal..
Posted By: creekbob Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 10/26/12 04:47 AM
Originally Posted By Lupdiesel
My 67 front bumper has a "made in Canada" stamp on it. I assume it's orginal..

Yes it is. I just bought a new bumper for my 2011 Silverado, and that's made in Canada as well. Those from the great white north must know a thing or two about bumpers.
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 10/26/12 03:38 PM
yup , they need those to get moose, elk, polar bears off the road...lol
Posted By: Gus68 Re: 67 Firebird front bumper - 10/26/12 05:57 PM
I pulled my newer rear bumper off and the found the "Made in Tiawon" sticker. Bottom tab was wrong on the bumper. Anyone for a nice driver? Going to rechrome my old one. Found a place in town for about $350.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)