First Generation Firebird
Posted By: nashville68bird New engine test drive - 05/02/07 05:10 PM
Finally got the bird out of the garage and around the neighborhood last evening. Still have to finish a few air leaks, but it was the first time in five frigging months she'd been out on the street!

The new engine is very strong, easily chirps the rear wheels when sliding into first and second gear. And I was taking it easy on her first drive!
Posted By: Fbody69 Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 05:15 PM
Congrats! Amazing what a healthy engine will do for you.
Posted By: if6was9 Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 05:15 PM
I bet ya had a $#!+ eatin' grin from ear to ear. Great to hear it's poundin' the pavment again!
Posted By: Bronze Bird Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 05:42 PM
Yahoo!!! Just wait 'til ya get 'er tuned.
Posted By: nashville68bird Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 05:54 PM
Hey, I did notice that the power brakes were very mushy and weak. I figured the pressure would slowly build back up but it didn't. Is it normal to have to bleed the brakes after disconnection of the vacuum line on the intake manifold?
Posted By: Fbody69 Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 06:09 PM
Nope. But sometimes other brake components pick these times of inactivity to go bad. Look for leaks. Check your master cylinder reservoir for which half is low to limit your search to front or back systems.
Posted By: Crazy Tasty Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 08:29 PM
Good feeling isn't it?

I finally got mine rebuilt when I got back from Italy last July, since then I have driven it once, my old man has been cruising around in it.
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 09:50 PM
Good on you John. I am pulling my carb and sending it back to the guy...he noted ...and I quote

"If I recall correctly, this carb had a couple of rough spots in the inside of the float bowl. I think the problem is in the idle circuit, possibly at the idle tubes. It's possible that this might be damaged.
I had checked this when doing the work and it passed, but it does sound like the idle circuit is starving, probably on one side. I believe I will need to remove and replace the idle tubes and check for damage inside the passage when they are out. These are the little brass orifices visible when the top of the carb is removed. I do not normally remove the idle tubes, since they are destroyed upon removal and are normally not a problem - it's just a matter of making sure they are not plugged so fuel can flow. "

So....d@mn it, sunny this weekend and it'll sit in the garage...
...and off it goes on the Greyhound back to him for a few days.
Posted By: Bronze Bird Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 10:22 PM
Brakes shouldn't be affected. You must have a vacuum leak...or are connected to the wrong vacuum port...?
Posted By: DrewHelm Re: New engine test drive - 05/02/07 11:16 PM
GREAT news, John!!!

Glad to hear the new motor is up and running!

My roller is rumbling again.....replacing the rear cam plug tonight and putting trans, driveshaft and exhaust back on it for a cruise to Corpus this weekend!

Sounds to me like a vacuum leak! Check the hose and fitting in the booster.

Drew
Posted By: nashville68bird Re: New engine test drive - 05/03/07 04:29 AM
Yousa y'all.

I'm wondering if that white plastic vacuum hose connector to the booster should have a grommet or rubber seal (it doesn't now, nor did it before). Nothing else was disconnected except that connector and of course the other end of the hose at the intake manifold.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: New engine test drive - 05/03/07 05:56 AM
Yes, the check valve should be plugged into a grommet inserted into the booster.
Posted By: Fbody69 Re: New engine test drive - 05/03/07 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By nashville68bird
Hey, I did notice that the power brakes were very mushy and weak. I figured the pressure would slowly build back up but it didn't. Is it normal to have to bleed the brakes after disconnection of the vacuum line on the intake manifold?

Since this is a brake issue we better clear up the confusion here for John. A vacuum leak to the booster doesn't cause a 'mushy' pedal. If your booster isn't working with enough vacuum you would have a hard pedal. A mushy pedal means air in a line and/or a leak. There are a few other rare things that cause this but not the booster. I would check your fluid level first off.
Posted By: Rick Colwell Re: New engine test drive - 05/03/07 11:40 PM
Glad to hear you got it going, I took mine out yesterday as the crew had my truck tied up-no front brakes. The fluid was low, filling it did not help. I need some time that I probably won't get right now to fix it. Probably time for front discs........
Posted By: Rommel Re: New engine test drive - 05/04/07 03:48 AM
John,

Get the bugs worked out before I get down there this summer. Or on the other hand, I never mind tinkering...

As for the breaks, not sure how old your set up is, or what type. 5 months of sitting can easily cause a leak. Give her a good once over. The booster should have a grommet where the hose attaches.

Chris
Posted By: nashville68bird Re: New engine test drive - 05/07/07 08:25 PM
Chris and Rick,

Put over four hours of driving on her this past weekend. See new post titled "Letter to my Builder".
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)