First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Tom68Bird 1968 Firebird Mirror Problem - 01/06/14 02:02 AM
Hi,

When I bought my 68 Bird, it had incorrect "Bullet" style mirrors on it. While it looked nice, the 68 never had the bullet style available and the mirror appeared to be not working. The (LH Driver) bullet mirror was held on by two Phillips head screws. When I took the mirror off, I was surprised to find a mechanical remote which had been laying in the door panel. The remote cable came out through a 7/8 hole.

I drove 3 hours round trip to the NPD in Ocala and spent $130.00 on two Scott Drake rectangular style mirrors which the salesman guaranteed me were the best and would fit as there was only one door style for 68 Camaro and Firebirds. I took them home and was shocked to find the mounting was different. What NPD sold me had a small bracket which appears to somehow screw onto the door and then the mirror is held on by a set screw. Also, the base of the NPD mirror would be too skinny to cover the 7/8 hole in the door.

After looking around on the site, I read one post stating some of the first 68s had round mirrors. Please help me find chrome mirrors which will fit.

Thanks,

Tom
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: 1968 Firebird Mirror Problem - 01/06/14 02:24 AM
Correct. Early '68 'birds came with round mirrors. Then mid to late January, they switched to rectangular. But it is also possible that your doors were drilled different for the bullet mirrors. I think NPD and Ames sell repop remote mirrors in the round style.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: 1968 Firebird Mirror Problem - 01/06/14 02:29 AM
Welcome Tom,

Your bird is probably an early 68 build so it came with a different door hole for the remote mirror. We call this the Type I - round mirror. Type II rectangular came out mid to late 68..

You need to get round mirrors or a new door LH skin.

Here is a pic of the hole in a door for Type II mirrors:
(couple of extra screw holes)

Attached picture LH Door hole Type II.JPG
Posted By: Tom68Bird Re: 1968 Firebird Mirror Problem - 01/06/14 05:23 AM
Gus,

Thanks, without posting a pic of mine, I can tell you my 7/8 hole is to the left where yours is to the right. I guess I have the 68 type I?

Thanks again,

Tom
Posted By: Gus68 Re: 1968 Firebird Mirror Problem - 01/06/14 12:33 PM
Your very welcome Tom

Yes, I believe you have the type I.
Posted By: Spellbound Re: 1968 Firebird Mirror Problem - 01/19/17 06:40 AM
I have a 68 Type 1 based on this post.

What is the correct mounting bracket for a type1? It should be the one with the two different height forks right, not the bracket with the bump in the middle?

[censored] if I can figure how to mount it though frown
Posted By: Gus68 Re: 1968 Firebird Mirror Problem - 12/09/19 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Spellbound
I have a 68 Type 1 based on this post.

What is the correct mounting bracket for a type1? It should be the one with the two different height forks right, not the bracket with the bump in the middle?

[censored] if I can figure how to mount it though frown

Sorry...little late getting back to you...hope this helps

Attached picture type ii mirror PartsCat.jpg
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)