First Generation Firebird
Posted By: goose919 What If I was to Tell You... - 04/02/16 06:46 AM
What if I was to tell you that you could keep your factory radio (head unit) and have crystal clear audio for $250.00 and your choice of speakers... Well it's true!!! So i was at my local audio store looking into new speakers and got brought up to speed on bluetooth amplifiers! Heres the rub, lets face it you don't want to hack up your dash with an aftermarket radio than retro sound is essentially your only option, heaven forbid you have a 69 as I do than your talking $500 for a new radio! Bluetooth amplifiers work like this, supply power, ground and connect each of your 4 speakers into the amp. Pair your phone to the bluetooth signal the amp is putting out and voila! You now use your phones music, a radio app or bluetooth iPod to play your music... I might be behind the 8 ball on technology but this an awesome way to control your radio.

here is a link to the amp:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/index.php...CFQJZhgodkdYL5Q

here is a youtube video to explain further:

https://youtu.be/FsG0qEtowiQ
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/02/16 04:33 PM
I don't think my phone's cord is long enough to reach the driveway.
Posted By: goose919 Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/02/16 04:35 PM
Lol, well played sir...
Posted By: Firebob Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/02/16 07:34 PM
Talk about behind the 8 ball on tech...I don't even think my flip phone has Bluetooth. Besides I think I only pay for about 3 minutes of cell time a month. Does signal coverage affect that arrangement? Like if you go thru a tunnel or under an overpass or just someplace that you just don't get a signal?
Posted By: goose919 Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/02/16 08:04 PM
Bob it does not use cell data on the phone.... It's quite similar to a wireless router for your computer. You are putting out a signal from the trunk or wherever you mount it. That signal is received by your phone or iPod wirelessly and whatever your doing on phone/iPod works trough speakers. Ex. I play a song on IPod and it plays through speakers hooked into amp. It also works if you get an incoming call! The siganl is localized to about 200 ft.
Posted By: Firebob Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/02/16 09:31 PM
Ok. I got ya. So this is music loaded onto your device. Not like streaming stuff like Pandora. Although I guess you could do that too as long as you had signal and an nlimited cell plan.
Its the same as using your iPhone with Microsoft Sync (Ford) or sim. My Lariat has a "bluetooth connection" to its stereo head unit. Works very well, great clarity. I must say that is a great idea for our birds...mind you I generally just like listening to the 400!
Posted By: Robert Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/06/16 10:01 PM
I did it a little different in my 68. I plan on running Vintage Air down the road so I just moved my radio up to where the original controls were. I bought a Detroit Speed plate and cut it out for a new radio. I have a USB hook up to go to my phone and I did not cut or alter my dash one bit.

Posted By: goose919 Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/06/16 11:37 PM
Clean install rob... Noticing the guages... How do you like them? Could not decide between those Dakota digitalis. Went Dakota because of LS based engine.
Posted By: Robert Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/07/16 04:51 PM
Goose919, I'm still working out some kinks in the gauges. The first set had some problems. The tach did not work correctly and I had some other small problems. I likes the first set of gauges better as they had a full sweep when turned on and had LED lights. I returned the gauges and got a new set. I still had tach problems but they were different problems. The first set the tach bounced all around at high rpms. The second tach the rpm's were not reading correctly. I sent it back in and they found that it was set incorrectly. The gauges are back in the car but I have the motor tore apart not for some upgrades. I bought the gauges because they had the original look and were made here in the USA. (Michigan) The tech support has been great and they have never questioned any problems. So, yes I think I will be happy with them. Sorry, was not a simple question or answer.
Posted By: goose919 Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 04/08/16 07:13 PM
Well, I ordered up the Amplifier and will update the thread in the next week or two. Was able to get it for 196.00 shipped.
Posted By: goose919 Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 05/21/16 12:13 AM
Ok guys installed my amp this afternoon and I have to say I'm overly impressed. Its loud and the sound quality rivals that of my new 4runner. Super easy to install took about 2 hours (minus speakers). I would have to say the coolest part is the 13Volt trigger. The system only turns on if the amp sees 13V hence the engine needs to be running, you can wire in a 12v switch but I would rather the trigger (no chance for battery draining). let me know If anyone wants pictures or more specifics.

Side note: Year one did start selling a bluetooth amp for the same purpose for $89.00! The big difference there is 80w Vs. 250W.
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 05/21/16 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By goose919
Ok guys installed my amp this afternoon and I have to say I'm overly impressed. Its loud and the sound quality rivals that of my new 4runner. Super easy to install took about 2 hours (minus speakers). I would have to say the coolest part is the 13Volt trigger. The system only turns on if the amp sees 13V hence the engine needs to be running, you can wire in a 12v switch but I would rather the trigger (no chance for battery draining). let me know If anyone wants pictures or more specifics.

Side note: Year one did start selling a bluetooth amp for the same purpose for $89.00! The big difference there is 80w Vs. 250W.

Yea Goose, put up some pics brother!
Posted By: goose919 Re: What If I was to Tell You... - 05/22/16 04:26 AM

© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)