First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Spellbound 68 Remote Mirror install - what the heck? - 01/19/17 05:28 AM
ok so I'm calling in the cavalry - because either I have the wrong stuff or this doesn't make any sense.

I have a 68 - original door and I thought this door was punched for the remote mirror because of the large hole and odd mounting holes on the door. I got a remote mirror and the funny bracket but I'm not seeing how they line up. Did I goof....?

Looking at driver side door outside left to right
screw hole then Large hole tear drop, oblong hole, screw hole, 2 oblong holes

Maybe this is an early 68 door and I need a 67 remote mirror?

Photobucket isn't working or I'd add pics. Will once I get something working.
Pic copied from another post - looks like holes at top of door are the same as mine.
[img]http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums...~original[/img]

Searching around looks like I have a type1 68 door - and that does match the round mirror I have and I think the double post bracket - but no idea how to install this. One screw through mirror into bracket then small screw from bracket into door? The bottom of the bracket is buldged is that supposed to go in the large hole, or is large hole for the cable?
I think I figured most of it out.
The mirror cable goes through the large hole on the type1 door towards front of car (using the remote mirror which is round and has the cable towards the front of the car) is what you want. The thing that is not obvious (at least to me) is the 2 prong bracket then goes ON TOP of the mirror gasket, and that is why the bracket has that odd depression on the bottom (isnt flat) because that depression goes directly over the gasket cross section and pushes on top of that to stay firm to the car. One long Screw then lines up through the mirror, center bracket hole into the center screw hole on the car. Now the tricky part is I think the offset hole in the bracket gets screwed up from inside the door as the bracket hole is threaded, and the door hole is the size of a small Tylenol capsule so a screw cant thread into that.

Well I'll get it together tomorrow and I'll see if that is stable. Whew - hope so
1968 Typ1 remote mirror - must have door with type 1 holes (large teardrop hole towards car front).

Almost had it correct in my last post - everything fits great and snug. Mirror works perfect now.

What I had wrong was the bracket goes "inside" the door and the two tangs stick up through the large hole towards the front and one of the small holes towards the car rear. Screw in a small screw through door hole and into the threaded bracket hole towards the car rear to keep the bracket in place. Settle the mirror and gasket on top of door and all held down by one large screw in middle of mirror going into the 2nd threaded hole on the bracket. Certainly wasn't obvious to me - but now I know.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)