First Generation Firebird

Wiper Washer Issue

Posted By: BruceC

Wiper Washer Issue - 11/06/18 03:34 PM

I have a 68 FB wiper washer issue. The wiper motor cam keeps turning when the wiper switch inside the passenger compartment is turned on and the washer is not depressed. I have replaced the wiper motor and the wiper switch but it still pumps fluid when the switch is on. When I unplug the washer solenoid the cam keeps turning. When I disconnect the wiper connection it stops, as it should. If anyone can help please let me know or if you have a wiring diagram I would really appreciate it.
Posted By: BLK69JUDGE

Re: Wiper Washer Issue - 11/07/18 02:05 AM

welcome

I have not ran into that issue in 40 years of gm's

here is a good read for starters

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1067&bih=691&ei=xUfiW5acMeec0wLIvJKwDw&q=1969+camaro+washer+fluid+won%27t+stop+spraying&oq=1969+camaro+washer+fluid+won%27t+stop+spraying&gs_l=psy-ab.3...23309.28502..28806...0.0..0.94.847.13......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i71j0i7i30j33i10.iQAJVkWdlwY

make sure you have good clean grounds ....at the switch and the motor

Scott
Posted By: BruceC

Re: Wiper Washer Issue - 11/07/18 07:45 PM

Thxs. I'll check the ground for issues.
Posted By: Hikin Mike

Re: Wiper Washer Issue - 11/15/18 07:42 PM

Did you find a solution?

I have the same issue. I've got a 1969 Firebird 400 and the washers won't shut off. I've not replaced motor/pump. I verified the pump switch works.

I drive it year long and the only way to shut off the washer is to disconnect the hose from the washer bottle.
Posted By: Jimc2002

Re: Wiper Washer Issue - 11/16/18 05:06 PM

BruceC and Hikin Mike, The attached pages from the 1968 Pontiac Diagnosis Manual may help you with the wiper and washer issues of not shutting off. I had the washer issue once but it is too long ago to recall how I fixed it. The problems are addressed in the attached sections but I have not taken the time to study each. I'll leave that to you.

Description: Wiper Diagnosis
Attached File

Description: Washer Diagnosis
Attached File

Re: Wiper Washer Issue - 11/16/18 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jimc2002
BruceC and Hikin Mike, The attached pages from the 1968 Pontiac Diagnosis Manual may help you with the wiper and washer issues of not shutting off. I had the washer issue once but it is too long ago to recall how I fixed it. The problems are addressed in the attached sections but I have not taken the time to study each. I'll leave that to you.

Thanks!

Re: Wiper Washer Issue - 11/19/18 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jimc2002

You don't happen to have a 1969 diagnosis manual? 68 is a bit different then 69.
Posted By: Gus68

Re: Wiper Washer Issue - 11/19/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by BruceC
I have a 68 FB wiper washer issue. The wiper motor cam keeps turning when the wiper switch inside the passenger compartment is turned on and the washer is not depressed. I have replaced the wiper motor and the wiper switch but it still pumps fluid when the switch is on. When I unplug the washer solenoid the cam keeps turning. When I disconnect the wiper connection it stops, as it should. If anyone can help please let me know or if you have a wiring diagram I would really appreciate it.

Bruce,

I had the same issue years ago. Trying to remember what I did to fix it. This is what I can remember:

- probably a ground issue.
- I think there was another wire plug to plug into the pump board. There is a 2 wire plug that goes into the board and then another plug connected to that plug (sort of piggy back). Not explaining it very well but if you could get a pic from someone that has theirs installed and working you might figure it out. Get snaps of the wires connecting to the pump and the wiper motor.
© 2019 Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)