First Generation Firebird

lost trunk key

Posted By: MT69-400

lost trunk key - 02/07/19 05:07 PM

I lost my trunk key on a 69

Looking to see if I can remove the lock from inside ?

Has anyone here removed the back seat and tried to remove the lock ?

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: 68tpls400

Re: lost trunk key - 02/07/19 05:23 PM

Probably impossible from inside.

Re: lost trunk key - 02/07/19 05:44 PM

hmm I guess a lock smith is the only answer ?
Posted By: Gus68

Re: lost trunk key - 02/07/19 05:48 PM

Yes you can remove lock from inside. If someone in the forum can send you a pic of the lock from the inside you can get an idea as to what will work to remove lock.

You need to remove a rod that goes from the key lock to the trunk latch.
Remove U clip holding lock to body
Pull rod out thru the key lock hole
put blade screw driver into latch, turn, and trunk opens.
Posted By: Bob S.

Re: lost trunk key - 02/07/19 07:25 PM

You can just turn the flat rod from inside the trunk to open it. A long arm and a tool might work.

Re: lost trunk key - 02/07/19 07:38 PM

Thanks Bob should be able to get on it somehow and hopefully turn it
Posted By: Ronnie S

Re: lost trunk key - 02/08/19 06:40 AM

It is the same key for the trunk and the glove box door (if nobody has changed locks during the years). Maybe you can take out the glove box lock and take it to a locksmith and have them make a new key that fits the lock.
Just a thought, I'm not sure it is possible, but it might be easier if it works.
Posted By: Bob S.

Re: lost trunk key - 02/08/19 11:49 AM

There are not that many key codes. Invite a bunch of Pontiac friends over and see if you get lucky
Posted By: wovenweb

Re: lost trunk key - 02/08/19 12:10 PM

Took about a minute with a drill to get one of mine out...

Re: lost trunk key - 02/08/19 04:02 PM

Thank you
Posted By: cme469

Re: lost trunk key - 02/08/19 05:54 PM

I have heard that the glove box lock only uses part of the trunk keys “cut” to open. So having a key made from the glove box lock won’t work for the trunk, and that you must have the key made from the trunk lock. Not sure if that’s true.
Posted By: Jimc2002

Re: lost trunk key - 02/08/19 06:07 PM

If you have found the "Body Broadcast Copy" under the seats or purchased the PHS "Billing History", they have both key codes. Perhaps a good locksmith or a GM dealer can make a key to the code.
Posted By: firebird69racer

Re: lost trunk key - 02/08/19 10:31 PM

I have done it many times. All you need to do is remove the back seat get some long extensions for your ratchet and a 7/16 socket, reach through to the two screws that hold the latch to the deck lid and remove them, the deck lid will open up after that.

Attached picture 20190208_141909.jpg
Posted By: firebird69racer

Re: lost trunk key - 02/08/19 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gus68
Yes you can remove lock from inside. If someone in the forum can send you a pic of the lock from the inside you can get an idea as to what will work to remove lock.

You need to remove a rod that goes from the key lock to the trunk latch.
Remove U clip holding lock to body
Pull rod out thru the key lock hole
put blade screw driver into latch, turn, and trunk opens.

69's are bolted to the body, and very hard to get to from through the back seat.
Posted By: uconn86hgiv

Re: lost trunk key - 02/09/19 02:39 PM

Locksmiths aren't that expensive. Make a few calls. Find out who is reasonable. Drive over there and have a set of keys made. Done forever. No taking apart things or messing around. Yes you are out a couple bucks but it is done right.

Just my 2 cents... and your money of course!
Posted By: 68tpls400

Re: lost trunk key - 02/09/19 04:02 PM

Only issue with using a locksmith is that if a previous Owner changed the locks, then the PHS or keycodes are useless. They also can remove the glove lock and match a key to that. But won't matter if trunk lock was swapped.
But its a reasonable approach to start with.
© 2019 Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)