First Generation Firebird
Posted By: cme469 Filler neck vent - 04/08/19 08:10 PM
Getting ready to cut into the filler neck for the vent nipple on the repop (Camaro) tank, but would like to see a picture of the connecting hose under lic plate first. Anyone have the original set up (69) that can take a pic? Thanks, Ron
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: Filler neck vent - 04/09/19 10:04 AM
I did the same thing last summer and here are pics I found.

Attached picture 6371.jpeg
Attached picture 6374.jpeg
Posted By: Firebob Re: Filler neck vent - 04/10/19 01:01 AM
I can get you a pic this weekend if You still need it. I just can't get in there right now.
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 04/10/19 05:41 AM
Thanks, Cam and Robert, yes would like to see all the pix I can. Cam, the nipple in those pix is different from my original tank. I have not drilled a hole yet so I can put it anywhere I want, but am wondering if I want to avoid the low spot in the hose for fuel to set in.? Also where the metal tube exits the tail panel, the one I got from Inline Tube turns up. This would create another low spot for fuel to settle. Maybe this is by design.?
Opinions?
Thanks guys
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: Filler neck vent - 04/10/19 10:22 AM
Ron, that nipple looks like my old tank but I don't think you have too much to worry about as far a gas going up there and draining out since that line comes out in the back of your bumper. I never had any gas coming out there before and I think it is because it is higher then the filler neck. I drilled the hole in the same spot and welded the short line there. You do need some kind of nipple on the end to hold the hose on unless your going with a clamp of some sort. Post a pic of the one you got from inline tube. The one I bought doesn't go up.
Posted By: firebird69racer Re: Filler neck vent - 04/10/19 04:57 PM
Here are a couple of pics of my original tank

Attached picture 20190409_172452.jpg
Attached picture 20190409_172510.jpg
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 04/12/19 05:46 AM
Interesting, Cam your pic looks like the tube comes out at about the the 12 o’clock position, and firebird69racer, your pic looks like about the 2 o’clock position. My original is at the 10 o’clock position. As suggested in an earlier thread, maybe it was just whatever or whoever was working on the line at that time.??
Still unclear if fuel setting in the low spot of line is by design or just enevitable.
Also was planning to braze it on, but JB weld has been mentioned. What have you guys done? Wanting to start her up! It’s been two years laugh
Thanks, Ron
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 04/12/19 05:51 AM
Also, where can the rubber grommets for the metal tube through the trunk floor and tail panel be got? She wants to start!! laugh
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: Filler neck vent - 04/12/19 10:34 AM
Ron, the body shop guy welded mine on with one of them wire feed welders, not sure what it is called...lol I am not sure about the rubber grommet I bought a box of rubber grommets I think from Summit that has a variety of sizes that I plan on using for the pipe that come through into the trunk.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Filler neck vent - 04/13/19 09:28 PM
Mine look simliar to the rest. Looks like the tube enters the neck about the 1oclock position. Makes sense that it should be near the top because it's just to let air in or out as needed. My tube does turn up at about a 45* behind the bumper after it exits the tail panel.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 04/15/19 06:10 AM
Thank you to all of you who took the time to post your pictures and comments. I guess I’ll braze the nipple in and not worry about the fuel settleing in the low spot in the hose. They all seem to do that. Robert, I’d like one of your T-shirts, will PM you.
Thanks, Ron
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 07/11/19 07:24 PM
Ok, using a piece of the 1/4” tubing from the old sending unit to make the vent “nipple” and brazing it to the filler neck has worked well. The tank is now installed.
Problem: The original fuel cap does not work. It can’t close tightly enough to seal. Over the counter ones are the same. The tank came from Summit but they can only sell me a vented cap (Camaro). The whole idea of installing the fuel neck vent was to keep the car like the original, which used a non vented cap with fuel neck vent!
I’d like to use an original looking cap.
Looking for suggestions.
Thanks!
Posted By: Ponton Re: Filler neck vent - 07/14/19 04:16 AM
The vented fuel caps are different than the vented fuel caps. My '69 had a replacement tank but somebody reused the original non-vented fuel cap which fit loosely. My '69 had the external fuel vent tubes also. I bought a vented fuel cap from NPD and it tightens down like it should. Unfortunately, it seems no one reproduces the fuel tanks with the filler neck vent tube. If I had known this I would have saved one from a wreck Firebird.
Posted By: Bartbird Re: Filler neck vent - 07/14/19 02:01 PM
My 67 has the original cap, I got a new tank from Ames and it fit, Summit I'm not sure about for some Pontiac stuff, Ames seems to check products before they sell them.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Filler neck vent - 07/14/19 05:55 PM
Bart, have you owned your car since it was brand new? Original owner? That's a very rare thing these days.
Posted By: bill v Re: Filler neck vent - 07/16/19 01:43 AM
Ron , we have the exact same problem. Cap is loose, I tried putting more gasket in it with no success. I even put a safety wire on it in case it popped off, it never did. I noticed the end piece on the neck is shorter than the original.

bill v
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 07/17/19 05:10 AM
Thanks Bill, your exactly right about the repo tank, did you ever solve it? I bought another cap today but it’s the same as the last. I thought also about making a 3/16” thick rubber gasket to tighten it to seal. Still looking/thinking.
Posted By: bill v Re: Filler neck vent - 07/19/19 12:38 AM
Well Ron, it wasn't long after putting that tank in I thought about putting the old one back in after cleaning it up. if I do, I'll need to move the vent tube back over. Let me know if your come up with a solution

Bill V
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 07/21/19 05:56 PM
Thanks Bill, will do!
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 08/11/19 11:30 PM
Hey billV, solved the gas cap problem. With the original non vented gas cap and after market tank from Summit. Problem: the cam lock in the new tank is to high to seal with orig cap. Leaving the cap loose.
By cutting a new gasket from 1/8” rubber sheet (leaving the Inside diameter a bit tight so it won’t move around) I found it almost fit right. Still a bit loose. But cutting another gasket from 1/32” gasket material and putting it on first, (between the rubber and the cap) worked perfectly.
Now able to use the original non vented cap with the the after market tank!
Posted By: bill v Re: Filler neck vent - 08/16/19 12:54 AM
Thanks Ron, Ill see what I have to cut up ans
d try it.

Bill v
Posted By: cme469 Re: Filler neck vent - 08/17/19 04:58 AM
Hi bill, your not gonna believe it, but since I made that that post I was changing my Culligan soft water filter and found the rubber gasket on the filter element was the perfect thickness and OD for the gas cap. The ID may need trimmed a bit. I now have extras if you’d like one.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)