First Generation Firebird
Posted By: anguilla1980 1969 - 17" Rally IIs - Max tire size? - 06/06/19 04:15 PM
Hello! I have a 1969 Firebird and just purchased these exact Rally II wheels in 17x8 for the front and 17x9 for the rear:

https://store.restoreamusclecar.com/p/62-Pontiac-Rally-II-Cast-Wheels-Full-Set.aspx

I asked Dave if I could run the 17x9 in the front if I went to Hotchkis a-arms and the answer was no because of my fender as well, so I went with the 17x8 in the front. He also mentioned the max tire size I could fit in the front was going to be a 225 or a 235, which is disappointing but I guess I'll deal.

Now, far as the rear 17x9, what is the widest tire that will fit back there on a 1969 without rolling the fender? Can I do a 255 or just a 245?

Lastly, what height can I get away with? I'd like to do a 50 series for max tire height (highway driving) and cushion for potholes. Or am I stuck with a 45 or even a 40?

I thinking Nitto NT555 G2s in 235/45/17 up front and 255/50/17 in the rear. Sound good? They don't make their 235 in a 50 series.

Thanks!
Sounds like they worked out for you. Pics?
No pictures yet. I just got the tires mounted Saturday. I'm still waiting for my lug nuts to arrive (ordered black ones) and it's been 110f so I'm not keen to do any work at this time. Once I get them on the car I'll post some pictures.
Here are a couple of pics, I only have the black lugs on the front wheel at this point. I'm just test fitting as I'm replacing my rear end and front a-arms this weekend.

Attached picture P_20190615_125700.jpg
Attached picture P_20190614_181737.jpg
If you get a chance, I'd love to hear how what kind of clearance to the fender (top and rear) with the wheel turned if you were to test fit the 9" with 255s on the front with the deeper backspace (different offset).
Originally Posted by FirebirdMike
If you get a chance, I'd love to hear how what kind of clearance to the fender (top and rear) with the wheel turned if you were to test fit the 9" with 255s on the front with the deeper backspace (different offset).

Hmm, I hadn't thought to do that, but I will and I'll post back!
Originally Posted by anguilla1980
Originally Posted by FirebirdMike

Hmm, I hadn't thought to do that, but I will and I'll post back!

And?
I didn't think it measure exactly but I did test fit the 17x9 rear (5.250" backspacing) with 255/50/17 Nittos on the front.

I did so without the 1/4" Wilwood spacer and I have Hotchkis upper and lower a-arms, no spacer with the Hotchkis big block springs, and my GW solid sub-frame mounts that lower the body down 1.5". So there are a lot of variables on my setup.

With my camber set to -1 degree, the tire cleared into the fender just enough to not touch the outter bolt heads that attach the inner and outer fender. I turned the steering lock to lock and found no interference aside from where the tire meets the actual sub-frame, which happens with the 17x8s. They seemed to fit just as well as the 17x8 with different backspacing, tire size, and with the Wilwood spacer.

When my new tires wear out, I plan to buy 2 of the 17x9s to put on the front.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)