First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Newbie_MattP Wiring Issues - 08/10/19 09:27 PM
Hi Everybody!! I'm rewiring (american autowire classic update kit) my 69 firebird and have run into a few issues...I can't get my passenger side rear parking, brake lights, or turn signs to work. On the driver side, everything works as it should - with the exception of the parking lights in the rear....What am I doing wrong? I've checked all the grounds, checked to see if there is power running to all of the connections (when I use my light tester, everything causes it to light, but when I attach the pig-tails with the lights, nothing...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Wiring Issues - 08/10/19 11:13 PM
I would double check that the right taillight housing is well grounded. Do you have +12v at the lamp sockets? Does the right backup lamp work?

Posted By: Newbie_MattP Re: Wiring Issues - 08/11/19 04:00 AM
I was thinking that was the issue, too, so I added an extra jumper between the housing and the ground on both sides. This is what finally allowed my driver side blinker to start working. But, nothing happened on the passenger side. So, I added a second jumper on the passenger side from the original ground to the housing...so now the passenger side housing has 2 jumpers.

Not sure about the back-up lights, just got the correct bulbs so I'll try tomorrow and report back.

I don't have an alm meeter, I only have the thing that looks like a screw-driver that I attach to a ground then it lights up if it's got power. All light up. I'll pick up a tester tomorrow and let you know when I give the update on the above.

Thanks for the suggestions and questions!!!
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Wiring Issues - 08/11/19 02:34 PM
Do you know if the lights worked before you replaced the wiring? A bad turn signal switch can mess up both the turn signal and brake lights on one side. But check all other continuity issues in the rear first.

Have to ask, you do have the correct bulbs, probably 1157 if using original incandescent, with the two contacts in the base and the tail light sockets have two contacts in them? (The backup light should have one contact and use an 1156.)
Posted By: Newbie_MattP Re: Wiring Issues - 08/12/19 12:40 AM
That's the thing, I'm not sure if they worked before I started (rookie mistake). I do have the proper lights and have replaced the turn signal harness in the steering wheel...I checked today and the back-up lights do NOT work...so, looks like I've got one more thing to add to my list.
Posted By: Newbie_MattP Re: Wiring Issues - 08/12/19 12:42 AM
And Jim, I see you're from IL...that's where I am from...what part of the state do you live?
I grew up in Lincoln, right in the middle of the state on I-55...
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)