First Generation Firebird
Posted By: uconn86hgiv Turn signal indicator light comes on? - 08/13/19 11:38 AM
Occasionally when driving the right turn signal indicator light comes on. It doesn't flash just solid arrow. If I turn on the signal on then turn it off it will usually go off. But then a few minutes later will return. I have not been able to tell if the actual light is on... but I don't think so and that wouldn't make sense anyway. I'm thinking this is a loose wire or bad connection. It's painless enough but like all annoying things... it's annoying. Before I go tearing things randomly apart where are the most like likely spots? Steering column?
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Turn signal indicator light comes on? - 08/13/19 05:13 PM
I think you have a grounding problem.
Make sure ground straps are installed and
ground wires have clean connections for grounding
Posted By: salmon38 Re: Turn signal indicator light comes on? - 08/13/19 08:17 PM
My thoughts as well.
Had a similar issue, turned out to be a bad printed circuit board for the cluster.
X3 on grounds
I checked all the connections at the tail light. Cleaned them up. Still same issue. I guess I need to look at switch on turn signal in steering column. Any other obvious places?
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: Turn signal indicator light comes on? - 08/15/19 12:42 PM
Also check your ground at the instrument panel. Total PITA.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Turn signal indicator light comes on? - 08/15/19 01:16 PM
Have a look at this thread. I uploaded a pic of the grounding location for the gauge cluster.

https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums...68+%2Bcluster&Search=true#Post239137
Ugh. That does look like a PITA!! Suddenly the phantom turn signal light coming on just got way less annoying!! I wonder if it will just go away on its own?
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Turn signal indicator light comes on? - 08/15/19 05:27 PM
Just put a good screw into the center hole at the top of gauge cluster. That in itself may solve the problem.
Posted By: salmon38 Re: Turn signal indicator light comes on? - 08/15/19 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Gus68
Just put a good screw into the center hole at the top of gauge cluster. That in itself may solve the problem.

Ummm - that comes across a tad interesting when 1st read wink
this may be a long shot, but check the light bulb, or change the blub on that side, the front and back ones. I have had some weird stuff go on with the fillemnet inside the blubs, when it breaks and touch the housing. The light in the dash comes on when the light blub comes on, thats why sometimes when the blub is burnt out it don't work.
Anything is worth a shot before tearing into the dash and gauge cluster but i'm not optimistic. I have some extra bulbs too. Of course the light will never be on when its sitting in the driveway where I can mess with things and see if something makes a difference. So you do something then wait and see. The tail lights seem to be bright and working fine.
UConn, getting to the instrument panel isn't that big a deal. I'd drop the steering column, then remove the dash panel. It sounds way more involved than it really is. I'd say 1 to 1-1/2 hours, in and out. I've done this half a dozen times for various reasons. You may want to renew all of the bulbs while you have it out.

There's a strap at the top center of the instrument cluster that attaches to the metal under the dash. That's your grounding connection for the instrument panel. All kinds of weird stuff can happen if this comes loose.

Good luck!
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)