First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Firebob Inner fender - 11/28/19 07:19 PM
I poked a few holes in the bottom of the inner wheel well the other day. Looks like I need to do some patch or replacement. I see two pieces sold. An inner and an outer wheel house. I assume it's split down the middle and spot welded together? I've never really looked at one that close. Not sure I want to tackle the inner. Maybe the outer. Easier just to cut and patch rather then replace the whole thing?
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: Inner fender - 11/28/19 07:50 PM
I assume you are talking about rears? Yes, two piece. You may only need the outers. Cars from the Midwest generally need everything. If the lip is still good, I'd say stick to patching. If the lip is gone, replace the outers. Seperating the two is a lot of work though. If reasonably intact, patch them.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Inner fender - 11/28/19 09:06 PM
send pics!

Bellies full yet boys!
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Inner fender - 11/28/19 11:27 PM
On my GTO I bought the repop wheel houses and cut pieces and made patches. I just lap welded. They came out great and you can’t see what I did unless you stick your head in there with a flashlight.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Inner fender - 11/29/19 05:07 AM
Sounds like reasonable advice. The outer replacements are pretty cheap so I may go ahead and buy new ones and use as much of them as I need to patch the old wheel houses. I'll post up some pics when I get into it.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Inner fender - 11/29/19 05:58 PM
I would agree with you all, just be careful what you start. I did the inner and outers on my vert. A lot of work to do verts. We kept the rear quarters on (they were new already). Easier to take rear quarter and inner & outer off and replace with new IF it's badly rusted, otherwise patch. The after market inner & outer panels are the same as NOS. You generally find a lot more rust damage once you starting working on it.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)