First Generation Firebird
Posted By: bigchief Turbo build - 03/23/20 03:16 PM
I'm in the process of installing a 75mm turbo on my bird. Many many hours of fabrication, i am about half way there.

Attached picture turbo1.jpg
Attached picture turbo2.jpg
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: Turbo build - 03/23/20 11:44 PM
Cool
That does look like a lot of work.
What brand of turbo is it? Take it off another car or just buy the turbo?
Have a waist gate controller and a pressure reduction/blow-off valve?
How are you going to handle possible detonation with increased cylinder pressure?
Posted By: Firebob Re: Turbo build - 03/24/20 02:08 AM
That's pretty cool. I was at Reno last year and there was a young guy with a Sprint 6 car he was turbo ing. I think he already had a sequential FI setup. Lots of work. I think he's on the cammers FB group.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: Turbo build - 03/24/20 01:07 PM
Last year I was at the Oak Bay collector car festival, mostly old and rare antiques and a sea of SU carbs but they let a few muscle cars in. A guy had a 68 Firebird with twin turbos, CID was somewhere around 500 inches and claimed to have over 1000 HP. Don't know how he kept the heads on it. What a sea of plumbing for that, like welding an Octopus. Looked like nice work, all stainless and beautiful welds. Guy said he'd never had it on the track and only took it to shows. Didn't ask him why.
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 03/24/20 03:13 PM
The turbo is from summit, basically a s475 with summits name on it, the boost will be controlled by the waste gate. Not putting a lot of boost in this engine. It already makes tons of power naturally aspirated so that you cant keep it straight on the street. I had a custom cam made for my combination.
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 03/27/20 05:12 PM
Finished the down pipe and merged it back into my exhaust system

Attached picture ypipe.jpg
Attached picture undery.jpg
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 07/07/20 10:04 PM
Almost done and ready to make lots of power

Attached picture t2a.jpg
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 10/05/20 12:00 AM
big big never ending powahhhhh

Attached picture powahhh.jpg
Posted By: barnbird Re: Turbo build - 12/09/20 11:57 PM
Nice looking fab skills bigchief. was it hard to fit the intercooler space wise? What boost are you running? How's the lag? I've had a few turbo cars in the past but never with that many cubes. The top end on that must be never ending.
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 04/18/21 11:30 PM
Just an update
I blew the head gasket on my 462 in December, no big deal that engine was never intended for boost and had factory head bolts and a crappy Felpro head gasket. It made 10 lbs of boost and no lag whatsoever, ungodly amounts of power.
Im building a 400 with all the right parts. Commetic head gaskets, head studs, 9:1 compression, good rods.
Also upgrading the turbo 400 with 300m input shaft and new front drum and a torque converter built for this combination.
The rear end is a Dana 60 with 3,54 gears and 35 spline axles.
Unlimited power from this point on.
Also switched to Megasquirt ultimate for the EFI
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 10/08/22 02:32 PM
getting closer, switched to holley terminator x.

Attached picture fb2a.jpg
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 03/31/23 03:48 PM
Runs good. Tons of power

Attached picture 406a.jpg
Posted By: Oldslowandugly Re: Turbo build - 03/31/23 11:00 PM
I'm new here so first time seeing your build. Amazing! Very cool. You must be suffering from smile-itis by now. My question is what happened to the LS type coil-per-cylinder set up? What are you firing the plugs with now? Were you using a crank trigger or a shorty distributor?
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 04/01/23 02:36 AM
When I was using the coil packs I fabricated the crank trigger using a LS crank wheel and machined down a LS camshaft sprocket for the cam sync. Had problems when engine was warmed up. I would loose either cam or crank signal and it would not run correctly.
So I took all that off and now I'm running all the Holley hyperspark stuff, distributor, coil, CD box. Runs great now, no problems.
This is on a Holley terminator x ECU.
Posted By: Oldslowandugly Re: Turbo build - 04/01/23 02:48 PM
NICE! Does that ECU use a detonation sensor to retard the spark? I ask because I was considering putting my Turbo 301 into my Pontiac G-body wagon. I have the knock sensor and control box from a 1980 Trans Am 301. But I always felt a better stand-alone spark system like the MSD would work better.
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 06/16/23 04:00 PM
A quick blast in the killer

https://rumble.com/v2ugrk6-pontiac-boost.html
Posted By: Robert Re: Turbo build - 06/22/23 12:47 PM
Is that the tires letting loose for a second??
Posted By: bigchief Re: Turbo build - 06/22/23 09:09 PM
Yea
Cant stay on the pedal for very long in 3rd with 10psi of boost.
Its like a Saturn 5 rocket taking off
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)