First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Carter C. New restoration, what is my next step? - 09/22/20 05:10 PM
Hey everyone, I recently started the restoration of my dads 1968 Firebird. He bought it for $200 when he was 14, (1990) and restored it slowly until it was finished when he entered college. He drove it for 6 or so years, and then parked it in a family building. There it sat until I trailered it home this past year. I took out the interior of the car and found no holes or patches needed. I bought a sandblaster and am going to begin blasting the interior to get the carpet glue off the metal, blast the trunk pan as well, and then put the car on a lift, and sandblast the undercarriage as well. After these steps I will use the epoxy primer. Since this car isn’t too far gone I think that’s the next step moving forward before focusing on the body ( which is straight and rust free). Do you guys think I’m headed in the right direction? I do plan on taking the sub frame out as well as the motor, and blasting/ epoxy further down the road.

Attached picture EF15CE27-E78F-49E9-95FB-2185538FA81A.jpeg
Attached picture CDCC0C3D-2E72-48AB-AC37-71861D46E7CF.jpeg
Posted By: bigchief Re: New restoration, what is my next step? - 09/23/20 01:13 AM
just so you are aware
sandblasting leaves a lot of sand in hard to get areas and you will spend years trying to get it all out.
it always comes out when you are painting the car
Posted By: Bob S. Re: New restoration, what is my next step? - 09/23/20 01:44 AM
I'm a wire wheel on my grinder fan.
I'd remove the vinyl top. The rest of the car looks rust free, but moisture can get up under those and rot it without even showing it. Better to find out for sure now, then learn of it after you've finished the restoration.
Posted By: Carter C. Re: New restoration, what is my next step? - 09/23/20 04:32 AM
Would a better route be a grinder with a metal wheel on it? That was another route I considered.
Posted By: Carter C. Re: New restoration, what is my next step? - 09/23/20 04:34 AM
I appreciate the advice, that was another route I considered going after getting some feedback from others who said the same thing.
Posted By: Carter C. Re: New restoration, what is my next step? - 09/23/20 04:36 AM
I did plan on taking the vinyl off, I think I can feel some bubbling below it. Thanks for the input!
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)