First Generation Firebird
Hello All,
What convertible support items are worthy of checking prior to installing a new top? eg Hydraulic motor, cylinders, cables, etc. Also, have the option of a glass or vinyl rear window. Which would you favor? This car is a driver, so we would take it on cruises, car shows, for ice cream and will probably not show it. However, we want to keep it mostly original, but have went non-original in certain instances. Can also pick between original vinyl or cloth (like a BMW). The old vinyl exterior has held up well for over 37 years but the padding beneath is well worn. Haven’t seen cloth on a firebird but liked it on other makes. Have zero experience with convertible restoration so wondering what I should do before repairing the top.

Thanks
Joe
67 Fb vert, 326, auto, air
I like the cloth tops on newer cars but in my opinion they don't look right on a our Firebirds.
One thing I would suggest doing is cleaning the top frame as good as you can, re-painting if possible. Once the new top is installed it is very hard to clean some areas. I speak from experience!
First Gens did not come from the factory with glass rear convert windows. Maybe someone who has experience with one of those aftermarket glass replacements can comment on how they fold into the well, if boots fit with them, and the visibility with them.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)