First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Gus68 US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 05/13/19 02:47 PM
Great ideas from the President come loaded with loop holes.

Suffice to say, if you are planning to make a purchase of goods in the near term, and you expect that you will be charged more (25% for example), because the item is being "IMPORTED FROM CHINA", into the USA then send me a PM. It's possible we can get around the Tariff. In fact, the WO is even actively encouraging Americans to find away around it.

I would like to try a small item and see how the US is going to handle items "IMPORTED FROM CHINA" into the Canadian market.

We import much the same goods from China into Canada as you do into the states. After goods are processed here in Canada, we send them to the USA. I believe they will be classified as "IMPORTED from Canada", "MADE IN CHINA".

For those of you that are thinking of buying car parts from a US vendor, that get's it's parts from China, you best look into it. The other thing is the exchange rate is excellent between Canada and USA for those Americans that buy Canadian goods. In the end you might get your parts for less $$.

Currently $1343 CND = $1000 US
CND import taxes (5%)
US import taxes (state dependent?)
China Tariff (25%)
Posted By: bigchief Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 05/14/19 04:24 AM
F#@$ all that Chinese junk.
Posted By: oldskool Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 05/14/19 02:10 PM
Without the cheap Chinese stuff, like forged rods & stroker cranks, there would be a LOT more non-Pontiac engines in Pontiac bodies.

And, even if you add 25%, these parts will still be much cheaper than USA made parts.

I, and I'm sure MOST others, would prefer to have enuff money to buy the very best things that are available. But, there are lots of us low budget guys who just can't afford the high dollar stuff. So, for us, it's buy cheaper stuff, or don't buy at all. Another way to say it is: Buy cheap or do without. That's why Wal Mart, Ebay, & Amazon have done so good. They sell stuff cheaper.

For those of you who can buy the high dollar USA made stuff, great ! I'm happy for you. But that's no reason for those who can, to suggest that those who can't, should.

This is just my own personal opinion, & in no way is meant as an insult to anybody. Therefore there is absolutely no reason for anyone to take offense from anything I've said.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 05/14/19 02:38 PM
Have patience if you enjoy Chinese-made stuff. The tariffs are a great negotiation technique and will be temporary. Previously, China has been imposing tariffs on US goods imports at 2 1/2 times the level the US has imposed on them. Further, China imposes oppressive non-trade barriers on our companies trying to sell in that market and stealing our intellectual property. Free trade is good when it is fair trade.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 05/15/19 08:38 AM
I'm not promoting China made parts. I'm just saying, if you find yourself in a corner, and you have to buy Chinese, try to take advantage of the opportunity and save where you can. Our enemies are not with the people or government of China. The super rich and powerful corporations control what and where products are manufactured. The US State Department defined oligarchs as individuals with an estimated net worth of $1 billion or more. We have all heard of Russian Oligarchs, well we got em on our team too.
Posted By: bigchief Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 05/17/19 03:54 AM
Ask any mechanic that works on cars for a living if they enjoy installing parts that are bad right out of the box because the customer is to cheap to pay for OEM parts that rarely fail.
I have installed 2 brand new fuel pumps in a row that were bad out of the box as well as dozen other parts for jobs. One guy bought all his AC parts from Amazon because he thought it was such a great deal. Guess what.... the compressor failed and I had to flush the whole system and do the job again and he had to pay again.
Posted By: oldskool Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 05/17/19 06:32 PM
"...OEM parts that rarely fail..."

Just curious as to exactly what "OEM" parts are still made for 1st gen Birds ????
Posted By: Bartbird Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 06/04/19 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gus68
I'm not promoting China made parts. I'm just saying, if you find yourself in a corner, and you have to buy Chinese, try to take advantage of the opportunity and save where you can. Our enemies are not with the people or government of China. The super rich and powerful corporations control what and where products are manufactured. The US State Department defined oligarchs as individuals with an estimated net worth of $1 billion or more. We have all heard of Russian Oligarchs, well we got em on our team too.

Exactly, what we fail to realize is that it was our own corporations that sold our nation down the toilet and our jobs, not just to China but anywhere they can find rediculously cheap labor going back to the post Civil War era of the Robber Barons, these workers have no rights, no 8 hour work day, no vacation, no safety, no over time, they work for nothing, no to mention these corporations can pollute and dump anything for free, destroying the local water and air, these gains will be short lived because as we see in China and elsewhere things are already changing, like here, pollution control comes in, workers rights and pay goes up, eventually this planet will level off and all people will have the same protections and rights.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 06/04/19 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bartbird

Exactly, what we fail to realize is that it was our own corporations that sold our nation down the toilet and our jobs, not just to China but anywhere they can find rediculously cheap labor going back to the post Civil War era of the Robber Barons, these workers have no rights, no 8 hour work day, no vacation, no safety, no over time, they work for nothing, no to mention these corporations can pollute and dump anything for free, destroying the local water and air, these gains will be short lived because as we see in China and elsewhere things are already changing, like here, pollution control comes in, workers rights and pay goes up, eventually this planet will level off and all people will have the same protections and rights.

Sadly, if US companies do not manufacture overseas or assemble in the US with a high content of overseas components, they cannot compete in the US or world markets. Confiscatory taxation and numerous oppressive regulations imposed by our federal, state and local governments made worse by union demands make many US goods noncompetitive. Every government tax, regulation, or employee compensation requirement becomes a cost added to the product price. Every addition to a product price makes the product less attractive to consumer when compared to a product made entirely by a foreign company.

The good news is the past couple years has seen some US tax reductions, unnecessary regulations removed and fair trade negotiations that has encouraged some manufacturing work to return to the US. After being told manufacturing jobs are not going to come back, the past couple years a half million manufacturing jobs have returned. While the current tariff war may temporarily slow the manufacturing job growth, we can only hope the efforts continue and intensify so millions of more manufacturing jobs return.

Living in negative population growth Illinois, I see a microcosm to the US business economy. Business and individuals are escaping Illinois for neighboring states with less taxation, reduced regulations, and right to work laws.
Posted By: Bartbird Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 06/04/19 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jimc2002

Sadly, if US companies do not manufacture overseas or assemble in the US with a high content of overseas components, they cannot compete in the US or world markets. Confiscatory taxation and numerous oppressive regulations imposed by our federal, state and local governments made worse by union demands make many US goods noncompetitive. Every government tax, regulation, or employee compensation requirement becomes a cost added to the product price. Every addition to a product price makes the product less attractive to consumer when compared to a product made entirely by a foreign company.

The good news is the past couple years has seen some US tax reductions, unnecessary regulations removed and fair trade negotiations that has encouraged some manufacturing work to return to the US. After being told manufacturing jobs are not going to come back, the past couple years a half million manufacturing jobs have returned. While the current tariff war may slow the manufacturing job growth, we can only hope the efforts continue and intensify so millions of more manufacturing jobs return.

Living in Illinois (one of , I see a microcosm to the US business economy. Business and individuals are escaping Illinois for neighboring states with less taxation, reduced regulations, and right to work laws.

The US tax deductions are only hurting us as are regulation removals, Trump is skyrocketing the debt because less money is coming in and more is going out in Corporate Welfare. Govt regulations became necessary because of greed and poisoning our air, water, food not to mention workers dying, etc etc, many people died so you have an 8 hour work day with over time, rules and regs, vacation, holidays, prior to the worker revolutions here no one had anything, you worked 20 hours a day, ever heard the song 16 tons???? that is literal, you loaded 16 tons and all you got was deeper in debt because the company owned the stores, the music hall, the Dr and your house and they paid you with a voucher not US money. Over seas this is what they have, in fact most of your seafood is caught by slaves around Indonesia.

Manufacturing jobs in the US are not coming back, there's so much bull in the news it isn't funny, I just read an article that states US manufacturing jobs are up to the level they were in 1949, wow sounds impressive right? well you have to factor in the population rise since then, the % just isn't there, so they can claim that since there are12.84 million manufacturing jobs now and in November 1949, there were 12.88 million it's amazing!!!, it isn't, it's @ 3% actual growth. Some jobs are coming back and it isn't due to Trump or his stupid tariffs, it's because of several reasons, China has increased pollution regulations, China's wages are rising and with internet sales and Amazon goods need to be here not there or on some ship to get to the customer in 1 day.

When Reagan used some tariffs he had a plan, a goal, Trump has one, himself and his $, he's playign hostage games. Reagan placed a tariff on Japanese motorcycles to artificially raise them so they cost the same as Harley Davidsons in order to give the family and Vaughn Beals, etc time to take HD back from AMF and retool, it's actually an incredible business story of how to and how not to do it, when AMF took over they saw that the line could produce @70k bikes a year, they doubled the speed of the line in a simplistic plan ignoring workers who knew what they were doing and destroyed quality, the first thing they did when they got the company back from AMF was return the line speed to what it was designed for. It worked and with advertizing and movies for years you had to wait to get a Harley, but this was before the factory closed or left, the tariffs worked then, not now,
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 06/04/19 08:48 PM
Historically, tax cuts increase tax revenues and the recent cuts have done the same. Actually, with the recent tax cuts energizing the economy, tax revenues have increased. In 2016, tax revenues were $3.27 trillion, both 2017 and 2018 saw revenue increases and 2019 is now estimated to be $3.44 trillion. The debt is not a revenue problem, it is a spending problem.

Neither party in control of the US House, which creates the budget, has cared about tackling the spending problem. Over years of piling up more and more and more social programs; Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, numerous welfare programs, unemployment, Obamacare, etc; now 60% of all spending is non-discretionary (mandatory) and none of it called for it as part of the tasks of the Federal government in the Constitution.
Posted By: bigchief Re: US China Tarrifs - Opportunities - 06/05/19 03:43 AM
[quote=Jimc2002][quote=Bartbird]

Manufacturing jobs in the US are not coming back, there's so much bull in the news it isn't funny, I just read an article that states US manufacturing jobs are up to the level they were in 1949, wow sounds impressive right? well you have to factor in the population rise since then, the % just isn't there, so they can claim that since there are12.84 million manufacturing jobs now and in November 1949, there were 12.88 million it's amazing!!!, it isn't, it's @ 3% actual growth. Some jobs are coming back and it isn't due to Trump or his stupid tariffs, it's because of several reasons, China has increased pollution regulations, China's wages are rising and with internet sales and Amazon goods need to be here not there or on some ship to get to the customer in 1 day.

B.S.
Just in the past year there have been companies I have not heard the name of in the past 10 years or more opening up shop in AZ. There have been thousands of brand new commercial and industrial buildings built and filling up with brand new businesses. 2 years ago General Motors built a technology training center here.
Anyone and everyone can hand pick the job they want these days, I turned down 4 job offers 2 weeks ago because I did not feel like driving an extra 15 minutes to go to work.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)