First Generation Firebird
Posted By: 67birdfl Help Wanted - Opinions on Value Requested - 07/26/19 05:21 PM
Hello all. As a new poster, first, thanks for having me and more importantly, I have a question to pose.
I purchased a 1967 back in 2000, about a few weeks before GM announced the firebird would be no more.
I would like to know what are your opinions on approximate value of my firebird. I live in west central Florida if that helps in geographic adjustments for value.
Basic details, DOHC 6 cylinder, engine is correct, but not original. The numbers are off by only a few thousand (?). standard powerglide trans, had to go electric fuel pump due to inability to find pump at the time. aftermarket wheels, dual exhaust. Basically the body is in great shape with a frame off paint a few years before I purchased it. Interior shows wear as previous owner tried and failed at some simple mods, i.e. new stereo that he wired directly to the battery and left speakers and their cords loose. LOL.

Anyway, any questions for more detail are welcome as I'm looking to move on to something with air conditioning that works. Living in Florida can make A/C a requirement. I wasn't living here when I purchased so it wasn't as big of an issue.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Assuming you mean a coupe, as the old saying goes, pictures are worth thousand dollar!
As a coupe, form your very rough description, I'd say somewhere between $4k and $9k, depending on MANY things.
A convertible obviously would be worth more.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Help Wanted - Opinions on Value Requested - 07/26/19 05:39 PM
Here are the straight goods:

A OHC6 /w 3 or 4sp STD 4 brl Quadrajet is excellent drive trane.
A OHC6 /w 2 sp Auto ... is last every day

Drive trane = 1
interior sounds like a knightmare = 0
tires & rims = 1
Now you SHELL...=$$$$$$$

The shell is all the money, if it's in excellent shape you will get serious money. Verify your shell and if it's EXCELLENT you could get $7-$12k depending how you sell it.
Well, thanks for the info so far. Wasn't expecting such quick replies. Here are a few pics to help get a better idea.
Additional feedback is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Attached picture 20190726_171102_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20190726_171133_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20190726_171252_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20190726_171413_resized.jpg
Buy yourself a vintage air kit for a couple thou and drive your classic in comfort.
Curious about you statement that the numbers were off by a few thousand. Not sure if you realize this but for 1967 the stamp on the block does not match the VIN. You need either PHS or the original POP. Always nice to see another Cammer out there.
Something else I noticed, your dash is for a factory A/C car. I also noticed the X fillers. Looks like the car may had Factory A/C at one time.
Originally Posted by hokie1984
Something else I noticed, your dash is for a factory A/C car. I also noticed the X fillers. Looks like the car may had Factory A/C at one time.

yeah but there's nothing under the hood or firewall to show that, also walnut dash was 68 only, 67 was black, car may have been partially put together with 68 parts or part 68 dash ???

if it's a Sprint it's worth some money, standard hardtops don't pull a lot of cash
Originally Posted by Bartbird
also walnut dash was 68 only, 67 was black,

Ummm... no. That is definitely a '67 'bird dash. '68 was burlwood. 'Maro's were black.
A few things: No, I did not know 67’s numbers didn’t match. That changes my outlook significantly. Or should it at all? Could this then be considered a numbers correct car? Everything else seems to line up with the VIN details. i.e. a ‘6’ for the six cylinder. When you say PHS or POP, can you please expand on that? Again, any info is appreciated. Along those lines, I always thought the OHC6 could get you more simply due to their rarity. Is that not true? Yes, I believe at one time it did have factory air, but obviously not anymore. What would be the best way to determine if it was a sprint? I always thought it was, but also obviously, I now question most everything about the vehicle.
Once more, thanks for all the feedback. It’s truly appreciated.
www.phs-online.com

This will tell you everything about your car. Well worth the cost.

For '67, you need the engine unit number (EUN) from the block to compare it with the PHS information.

Very well could be the original engine. But need PHS to confirm one way or the other.
Definitely was a factory original A/C car. As opposed to '68 and later, you did NOT get the rectangular center panel and dash end round air vents UNLESS the car came with A/C. Non A/C '67's, like mine, had no vents in the dash at all (photo). The corner door vent windows and side foot well vents were your cooling system.

If you enjoy the car - just procure a factory - like A/C system.

Attached picture Dashboard.jpg
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Help Wanted - Opinions on Value Requested - 07/28/19 08:51 PM
There are two OHC’s. The high compression 4 barrel Sprint and the 1 barrel low end one. The sprints are desirable.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Help Wanted - Opinions on Value Requested - 07/28/19 08:54 PM
http://www.phs-online.com
If I had to guess, I bet your engine is original but you will need the PHS (or Protect-o-Plate) to confirm. Not many people pulled a 6 and replaced it with another 6. Lots of people pulled their 6 and replaced them with V8s.

Rarity does not always equate to desirability. IMO, a factory Sprint is more desirable than a 326 and a base 6, but will never be more desirable than any Firebird 400 or the 326 HO. With that said, they are cool motors and you don' see many of them.
PHS ordered this morning. Stay tuned for details in a few days.
You've all been very helpful. Thanks again.
Originally Posted by 68tpls400

Ummm... no. That is definitely a '67 'bird dash. '68 was burlwood. 'Maro's were black.

I have read that 67 birds only came through with black dash, the simulated wood only became available in 68, my car was built in April 67, my wood grain console and dash and clock are dated sept 67 so I assumed those came out of a early 68 and someone put them in there, still looking to confirm
My 67 (w/ AC) looks identical to his, with simulated wood grain. My console also looks identical (except the color), no wood grain.
Average price for your hardtop would probably be $12-14,000 depending on condition, if PHS says it's a Sprint could be closer to 20, the only cars commanding big bucks are the 400's especially the convertibles

PLEASE NOTE PEOPLE, IN 67 THEY ONLY MADE 65 RA HTS AND 6 RA CONV'S, NO CONV'S SURVIVE THE THE GENT THAT OWNS PHS HAS THE ONLY 2 HARDTOPS KNOWN TO EXIST, DON'T GET SUCKERED

for comparison a 400 conv could be worth 58,000

generally they deduct 30% for 6cyl, add 10% for AC

Originally Posted by 68tpls400

I have read that 67 birds only came through with black dash, the simulated wood only became available in 68, my car was built in April 67, my wood grain console and dash and clock are dated sept 67 so I assumed those came out of a early 68 and someone put them in there, still looking to confirm

All '67's came with walnut dash inserts. All '68's came with burlwood. Camaros came with black dash inserts. You would need to post where your findings as it is not true.
Unfortunately we have been subjected to years of reproduction parts catalogs telling us that the black pebble (or camera) grain center dash fascias are "correct" for Firebirds.

Wrong.

Just because something is repeated over and over again over a long period of time does not mean it's true.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Help Wanted - Opinions on Value Requested - 07/29/19 04:01 PM
I’ve got an original fake 67 RA convertible
I do believe that I saw it on some parts suppliers websites or their parts catalogues, don't remember exactly which ones. I assumed correct because my console has a clock with a Sept 67 date but my bird was built in April 67, could be someone snagged a console from a 68 wreck, not the end of the world.
You lost me. The 67 console is interior color no wood grain.
First, thanks for pointing me to PHS. Great info there. So, here’s the results, everything seems to match, except what you’ve already read and the below:
Built with power steering. No PS here. Engine number doesn’t match either, so what it came with pretty much becomes irrelevant (but it was the base 1bbl). I always thought it was different color based on a couple paint chips on the bottom, but that color doesn’t match the build color. I guess I gotta dig for more chips on that one. The Cordova top is gone. And that’s about it.
So, any additional thoughts of value? One more time, thanks for all the feedback. Been a pleasure reading your opinions.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)