First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Green Record number of prior owners??? - 02/29/20 05:10 PM
I requested a full transaction history from my DMV here in Oregon for my '69. Couple weeks later it came. They can't release names of owners, but do show if a bank was financing it and dates of title transfers. My car is in almost original conditions with zero body work. Even the A.M. radio works. So i was surprised to see that 11 owners before me owned the car before me. Well respected. Anyone beat 11?
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 02/29/20 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Green
I requested a full transaction history from my DMV here in Oregon for my '69. Couple weeks later it came. They can't release names of owners, but do show if a bank was financing it and dates of title transfers. My car is in almost original conditions with zero body work. Even the A.M. radio works. So i was surprised to see that 11 owners before me owned the car before me. Well respected. Anyone beat 11?

That's pretty cool. I bought my bird from a guy in Michigan, I have it registered here in Canada. Is there a way I can get the history on my car?
Posted By: Green Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 02/29/20 07:22 PM
I don't know about Canada, but you can call Michigan DMV and ask for a history report from your vin#. You'll have to prove it's currently in your name. Canada may offer it also.
Posted By: maxepr Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/02/20 11:32 PM
I have one with one owner prior to me.
Posted By: Green Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/02/20 11:40 PM
That's a family heirloom. I am amazed at my 12 owner car with zero rust. Even the door bottom edges are crisp. Mine WAS Palladium Silver and long ago painted white. Whoever painted it simply wanted white. There's no body work. I pulled the original interior door papers back and it was also white. I assume the big Ws written inside each fender meant white....Heard from a collector that Pontiac repainted leased cars. TRUE?

Attached picture KIMG1294.JPG
Attached picture KIMG1304.JPG
Posted By: Rabbit Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/03/20 01:18 AM
My sister ordered a 69 conv. Summer of 69 and I purchased the car from her and have owed since summer of 1970. Almost 50 years for me. A family GEM
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/03/20 01:37 AM
No previous owners on mine other than the Pontiac dealer.

However, the original owner definition is a bit blurred, because the ordering dealer had it in their corporate leasing department for its first 15 months.
Posted By: Green Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/03/20 01:47 AM
Does your cowl tag say AEE?
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/03/20 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Green
Does your cowl tag say AEE?

No, just the usual '68 series, body sequence numbers, factory, trim codes and paint/top colors. That AEE is a '69 code.

This 12 year-old old discussion was trying to solve the AEE mystery: AEE code on 69 NOR cars
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/03/20 04:11 PM
Hey Gus, you could try Carfax. When you order a report they have a list of everytime a new owner is registered in Canada and the States. Also any police reports of accidents and insurance claims.
May have to email or phone them to see if they will run a check on vehicles with a 13 digit VIN. Most VIN checks draw a blank if not using the current 17 digit VIN. One free online decoder will supply a build sheet. I've gotten a few in the last few months in my quest to buy a new, to me, pickup. I tried to enter my Bird's VIN but got nowhere as it's only a 13 digit VIN. Wasn't interested enough to spend the $30 or to phone Carfax to see if they would run a 13 digit VIN
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/04/20 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bluebird428
Hey Gus, you could try Carfax. When you order a report they have a list of everytime a new owner is registered in Canada and the States. Also any police reports of accidents and insurance claims.
May have to email or phone them to see if they will run a check on vehicles with a 13 digit VIN. Most VIN checks draw a blank if not using the current 17 digit VIN. One free online decoder will supply a build sheet. I've gotten a few in the last few months in my quest to buy a new, to me, pickup. I tried to enter my Bird's VIN but got nowhere as it's only a 13 digit VIN. Wasn't interested enough to spend the $30 or to phone Carfax to see if they would run a 13 digit VIN

I called Carfax Canada and they don't do the old cars. You can get it from the DMV or SOS of the state that last registered the vehicle.
I'm going to try Michigan SOS.
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Record number of prior owners??? - 03/05/20 03:42 PM
This is a hard thing to come by. I've tried twice here in CA, went through the DMV and the only thing they give out is the last license number registered, they will not give out previous owner information. Frustrating, but understandable, I guess. I did extensive research on if there are any sites that will give you owner's info on classic car 13VIN number vehicles. Apparently ebay use to provide that info for free after you enter a car "for sale" and enter the VIN. Currently there are NO sources that provide that info. Maybe Police department? don't know.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)