First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 02/21/07 09:42 PM
deluxe non-knit seatcovers in early '68s...

Establishing dates for midyear changeovers would be very helpful for concours resto.
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: Firebird Mysteries - 02/28/07 05:07 AM
Vikki, I had the non weave covers, but my 68 was a fall 67 model.

Guess my resto is a "Coors" resto then.. laugh
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 02/28/07 08:48 AM
The '68 in my garage is a 9B 67 build and has the original rear seatcover, wide non-comfortweave.
Posted By: Geoff Re: Firebird Mysteries - 02/28/07 05:16 PM
Vicki,
Can you snap a couple pictures so everyone knows what it looks like. I can take a picture of my comfort weave for comparison.

All, hold on as I want to, if Vikki has not already, create a easy form to capture data. I need to decide if want to quick update Registry to handle or stand alone. Either way, I would want to display what we have as we go.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 02/28/07 08:31 PM
[Linked Image] Rear seat cover, Week 2 September 1967 build deluxe interior
[Linked Image] Pleat depth detail
[Linked Image] Underside, intact showing jute pad
[Linked Image] Detail of cheesecloth wrapping padding
[Linked Image] Detail of padding wrapped in cheesecloth
[Linked Image] Detail of padding material (kapok?)
[Linked Image] Detail of burlap under springs (referenced to underside)
Posted By: Region Warrior Re: Firebird Mysteries - 02/28/07 11:57 PM
Wonder if they ran out of FB covers on the line, and used camaro's?
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 03/01/07 12:12 AM
Camaro covers don't look like that. I checked.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 03/01/07 12:40 AM
Microscopic examination of the fibers against known fiber samples indicates natural cotton batting.
Posted By: 333Fitter Re: Firebird Mysteries - 03/11/07 02:27 AM
Microscoptic examination WoW that's Heavy !
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 03/11/07 04:06 AM
not really...I could have burned both samples too and compared the smoke, but I save my olfactory nerves for better purposes.
Posted By: Geoff Re: Firebird Mysteries - 03/12/07 05:49 AM
I figured since I already have built a Registry to gather a lot of this information, I would I would use it. A lot of coding left to do as all the ideas I have for the Registry probably would take me years to finish plus there are sure to be bugs I never found on my own testing.

The nuts and bolts for the Registry are there to gather the information and for me to review. The real power will be when I finish the research section so the data can be searched while maintaining confidentiality for the VIN. One reason I am the only one with access to the data thus far. Would be nice for you to be able to have a question on how many of this option came on the 67 and then search the data we have collected to answer that question.

I updated the Registry Option Form to include the Custom Seat Inserts. Also updated the form organization and coded it so only options for a particular year are listed instead of a generic form with all information (note: The Sample Document lists all year options as year has not been selected yet.)

Register your Firebird or update what you have already entered at:
http://FirstGenFirebird.org/registry/
Posted By: Geoff '68 Deluxe NON-Knit Seatcovers - 08/11/07 05:38 PM
See posts merged here
Posted By: barnbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 11/07/20 08:30 AM
I have the same non perforated deluxe/custom seat covers in my 68 vert, all original except the alternator. It was built the 5th week of sept 67. I have also seen mention of this somewhere on this site a couple of years ago being verified by a couple of other verified original cars. As a side note my interior is the same color as the op Teal, might be a coincidence or possibly a clue. have to have more people chime in to find out.
Posted By: barnbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 04/27/21 08:34 PM
To add more info on this I have narrowed down from research in the Pontiac master parts catalog http://www.teufert.net/partbook/67-76/15-p.pdf that only 4 colors came with the first type non knitted vinyl which they called "grained vinyl fabric". Parchment, Teal, Gold and Turquois. The 3 cars in this thread are early built cars and the latest I have seen is a second week of January Autumn Bronze with Parchment interior.
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Firebird Mysteries - 04/27/21 10:17 PM
very cool, thanks for posting
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)