First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Banshee Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 05:19 AM
For those of you with 68's..We need to dispel myths surrounding Bird glass.

If you have Bird Glass, What is the Fisher Body tag build date?

Lets see if we can figure this out.

My April coded 68 did not
My 3rd week December 68 does.

Lets keep this limited to only 68 owners and factual data. Please refrain from any other hijacks.

And if you have PHS, lets run down the option codes as well.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 05:21 AM
My 07D does (July)
Posted By: nashville68bird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 05:35 AM
Banshee, clue us ignorant and less educated 68 owners in to what we are looking for.

I have an original 68 bird, and it does have original glass. Whats the next step here? You referring to the etched bird in the glass?
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 05:37 AM
The chassis build in two numbers followed by A,B,C,D or E. The chassis build is on the cowl tag on firewall, just to left of master cylinder just below "BODY" in BODY BY FISHER.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nashville68bird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 05:51 AM
Okay, got it.

I do not have the etched bird glass.
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 05:56 AM
John, read the first post!

"If you have Bird Glass, What is the Fisher Body tag build date?
Lets keep this limited to only 68 owners and factual data. Please refrain from any other hijacks. And if you have PHS, lets run down the option codes as well".

You did not post your cowl tag info!
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:00 AM
09B LOR - no bird glass.
68-22667 346
256 K2

Custom trim option.
Posted By: 19Firebirdrestorer68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:04 AM
Banshee, I have a 68 and i have those fisher door sill plates, does this mean my body is by fisher?
sorry for posting here, i just have to know.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:14 AM
01D (week 4 Jan 68) no Bird glass. Custom interior.

(This was assembled a few years ago on the "List". I'll see if I saved the responses. It would be in my AOL mail on my old computer if I saved it. No date or option code correlation was found at that time. Hope you find one.)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:14 AM
07D with bird glass
Trim 59 - Verdoro green - black int. and black conv. top
options:
343 - 350cid
352 - auto trans
472 - console
501 - power steering
502 - power brakes
544 - power conv. top
551 - power windows
554 - custom trim
TMD - wsw F70x14 tires
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:19 AM
Jordan, All Firebird bodies were built by Fisher Body. Your sill plates are part of the designation, your cowl tag reads year, make model, options (67 only) paint code, vinyl top code, interior trim code/color etc.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:21 AM
A local 1st Gen owner I know bought his RA Bird new in 12/67 and it has Bird glass. If you want I can email him for his exact build date.
Posted By: pedlondarite Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:22 AM
I have the bird glass.

I'll give you the entire top row from the tag:

68 22637 LOR 13024 30D
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by pedlondarite
I have the bird glass.

68 22637 LOR 13024 30D

The date on cowl tag is the first line. Example 04D,12C,01A
Posted By: pedlondarite Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:49 AM
ok...I gotta confirm that.

When I lifted the data from the tag a while back, I did so by rubbing a pencil on a piece of paper held over the plate. I can't make out those 3 characters so I'll go out to the garage tomorrow.

I can say though that the build date would be before June 20, 1968 because I still have the original owner's manual and protecto-plate. That date appears on one of them.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 06:54 AM
If you know your car has non-original doors or glass, please be aware that entering the data from two different cars will taint the research.
Posted By: nashville68bird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:19 AM
What happens if Terry sends you cowl data on the eight '68 birds he has in the FL yard, then announces "none currently have any glass to speak of"?

Will that skew this research project? It looks to me like you are trying to call someones bluff on a fib. Why not be upfront about it if thats the case?

I've fibbed (exagerated) here once or twice and you've all called me on the carpet. Can't fib much here, thats what I like about this website!!
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Banshee
For those of you with 68's..We need to dispel myths surrounding Bird glass.If you have Bird Glass, What is the Fisher Body tag build date?

Lets see if we can figure this out.
My April coded 68 did not. My 3rd week December 68 does.Lets keep this limited to only 68 owners and factual data. Please refrain from any other hijacks. And if you have PHS, lets run down the option codes as well.

John, no joke here. If you read the post..if you have a 68 and Bird glass, post your cowl tag data.

IF YOU HAVE BIRD GLASS AND COWL TAG BUILD DATE FOR A 68 POST IT.

Not fishing here with extraneous posting. POST ONLY IF YOU OWN A 68 WITH BIRD GLASS.

I am not looking for rhetoric or what if's. The request is simple, direct and very serious.

Simple.

If there is a chance that a certain number of Birds are in a later date category, but most are within a certain period, and there are a few others scattered, I think I can make a solid determination on dates.

Again, I ask, those that only own a 68 WITH BIRD GLASS need reply.

If someone wants to create a post in regards to this one, please do so. I am trying to do some serious inquiring for the benefit of the board. So again, PLEASE excuse yourself if you do not have a 1968 Pontiac Firebird WITH bird glass.

Trying to not be a jerk..But the initial post clearly states that I am looking for 68 Firebird owners WITH bird glass and the cowl tag date for chassis build.
Posted By: Earlybird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:30 AM
My Bird is from Dec 67, I'll have to check the actual code but it does have the "Bird Glass" and is the original glass. I'll check and post the actual data when I return home.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:34 AM
I searched for Bird Glass entries on the 1st Gen Registry and found 23 entrys with the box checked:
06B, 05C, 11C, 11E, 11E, 12A, 12B, 12C, 01B, 03C, 06D, 06C, 12C, 11C, 11D, 11E, 11E, 12A, 12A, 05D, 07A, 07D, 11C.
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:39 AM
Jim,

You see that most are in the first run..earliest is 3rd week November. 15 within a 6 week run out of 23.
1 in January
1 in February
1 in March
1 in May
3 in June
2 in July

Now for the Van Nuys and Lordstown breakdown.
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:40 AM
I say the early Birds were Lordstown Birds and the later May June and July were Van Nuys.

The Feb/March/April may be wildcards.
Posted By: BamaBird68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:42 AM
I had a 11C (3rd week of November at the Lordstown, Ohio plant)car. Still own the glass.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:49 AM
I say the early Birds were Lordstown Birds and the later May June and July were Van Nuys.

The Feb/March/April may be wildcards.

In the batch of 23, the first two LOS all others LOR
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:52 AM
So was I close? I was only guessing. Lordstown close to where glass was manufactured.

First two were May and June.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:57 AM
I just tried a correlation with coupe vs convert and tinted vs std - no correlation
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 08:13 AM
Lets break out the slide rulers and flow charts.

LOR vs LOS
Coupe vs convert.
tint vs no tint
Cowl tag dates

Not up on the option codes, but I am sure it would be fun to try and figure out. Not perfect but an effort.

Call me regarding "the registry". I have some disheartening information regarding..First hand reliable, not to be repeated.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 08:33 AM
I can and will create a database for this topic, to make patterns easy to detect.

I do not need or want VINs. Body tag info as above including plant code, plus string of billing history codes separated by commas (i.e. 342, 544, 712). Also whether PPG or LOF glass.

email to yellowbird@thefirstgensite.com.
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 10:35 AM
I must have got Banshees curiosity piqued earlier lmao.
I climbed up in the attic to check whether its PPG or LOF but couldnt tell without a major re-organizing session lol. But it DOES look tinted, if that helps. Anyways, heres my info...

11C (3rd week of Nov)
ST 68-22437 LOR 13508
261 K-K
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 10:42 AM
Yea, you got me thinking... The 68 is a 12C car with Bird Glass and I have always heard conflicting stories on where, when, why, how..regarding the glass.

As long as everyone provides accurate informationa and footnotes on door replacement, glass replacement or any other variable, the data would be a great reference.

After Vik told me that early 68 HO's may not have long branch manifolds until later on in production did I get to thinking about that and Bird glass.

Jim C sent me some good info that needs to be broken down.

I don't expect any ground breaking revelation out of this, but would be great to document and further the exploration of how our cars were built 40 years ago. The more we pry and obtain now, the easier it will be. Soon, these cars may be changed hands too many times to get any accurate information from.
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 03:51 PM
Over the years and as lately as a year ago, I have been installing bird glass in many 1968 cars that never came with it...I see bird glass for sale real cheap and i buy it just in case I want to install it in other cars I might own...In fact one of the 68's I bought recently had bird glass in the car as the previous owner was going to do the same swap....Has anyone tried to find out how many "bird glass" cars have factory tinted glass as well ?
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 04:10 PM
One brand of glass had a curved bottom (inside the door), this is the later style common with '69. Earlier glass has a flat bottom. I'm not sure which is which brand...but it can help in determining if glass was replaced at a later date.
Posted By: ho428 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 04:15 PM
Both my 68's have the bird glass, one coupe, one vert, unfortunaly I didn't see this post until this morning, no cowl info with me. But both are LOR I believe. I'm gone until the 19th after today. Maybe I'll remember to look it up when I get back.
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:49 PM
My 68 as far as I know did not have bird glass, at least when I got it and assuming both windows were not replaced which is doubtfull. I have since installed bird glass however. Would it help the database for my date/#'s? I assume so and will post em when i get home.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/09/07 07:57 PM
If you find the glass codes it would be helpful. Car info in this case won't help, as the majority don't have bird glass.
Posted By: if6was9 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 01:17 AM
Tom, I don't mean to throw a spanner in the works. I was told at the first T/A Nationals I attended, there use to be a gent that offered to etch the bird on the glass of your car for a nominal fee. He offered the 1st bird and the screaming chicken for the 2nd gen and up. I guess date codes on the glass would give a better picture of the info your after?
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 01:36 AM
Who has bird glass handy, in a climate that is above freezing?

Take a spray bottle of water and mist the bird on both sides of the glass. Does it change its appearance? If so, etching. If not, silk screen. I do not believe the original was etched. I think it was marked with the same process as the date codes...silk screening.
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 02:46 AM
Thats affirmative, Vik! wink
Posted By: Warpath Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 04:46 AM
Not sure if this helps, but here is the PHS on one without the bird glass.
02C build.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t81/ramairone/Blue68FBBillingcard2.jpg

My father’s 68 has the bird glass. Too far away to look up any codes, but here is the PHS:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t81/ramairone/68BlackFBBillingCard2.jpg

Posted By: BamaBird68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 07:14 AM
Not sure if I did this like you wanted, I noticed no changes with the glass wet on mine.

Inside glass dry
[Linked Image]

Inside glass wet
[Linked Image]

Outside glass dry
[Linked Image]

Outside glass wet
[Linked Image]

The carpet is sparkly but I took the two dry pics then wet the glass and took the wet pics. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 08:23 AM
That's a silk screened bird. The photos are not the greatest, but good enough to show how clean the image is.

If original, the photos don't show it well, the edges of all the white/black should be very sharp and clean.

Chemically etched or sandblasted will feel eroded, be duller gray in color, and will gray more when wet. Reproduction painted or screened will not be as perfect as factory.

Decals are decals...you can find the edges.
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 03:59 PM
Here are a few pics of my 68 with bird glass that I added. when I bought this car the glass was in the trunk wraped in a blanket.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 04:02 PM
While looking for these pics, I came across this one, I had no idea it had snowed that much! and it was 7+ feet high against the door!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 06:29 PM
It was the drift....I actually had to let it cave in and re shovel it!!...That was 3 seasons ago. NO snow yet this year....Just COLD !
Posted By: Thomas Brandl Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 07:26 PM
68 Bird with bird glass
03B
68-22637
259 LOR
F-F (now painted Mayfair Maize)
Posted By: pedlondarite Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by pedlondarite
I have the bird glass.

68 22637 LOR 13024 30D

The date on cowl tag is the first line. Example 04D,12C,01A

Banshee,

Just went to the garage now...mine is 01A.
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 10:11 PM
Vicky, I was just thinking it would help determine blocks of time that bird glass was not installed, effectively narrowing down the block(s) of time it was. smile
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/10/07 10:13 PM
12C or about 55F here today, garage door open and enjoying my bird building session in the sun!

Feels like 65F+ in the sun...
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 06:27 AM
The sample population of "no bird" glass would certainly be higher, but it would be harder to track bird/no bird and come up with solid results.

Does anyone have uninstalled bird glass? There should be manufacturer codes that can't be seen when installed.
Posted By: blk68firebird400ragtop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 06:44 AM
Terry has a set i believe.I'll see if i can come up with an email i replied to with the info on a set i had sold.I'll also check my pictures and see if i took a pic of the codes.

David smile
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 09:18 AM
Mines uninstalled, Vik...Ill climb up in the attic and re-organize stuff so I can get it down and see what I can find.
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 09:51 AM
Otay, its definitely PPG...what codes should I be looking for?
Posted By: blk68firebird400ragtop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 06:26 PM
Could not find any info i had in my files.I have the pictures but no way to enlarge them enough to see them.I should have taken the trim tag off the car i stripped them from wink I sold them to a gentleman in Tiverton,Ontario ? i think.I wonder if he is on this site (i believe i directed him here)and if he had yet to install them as he mention his car was in pieces in his basement.

David smile
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 06:28 PM
Any markings on the glass would be helpful. Thanks!
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 09:04 PM
I have one still out of mine but the only other marking i can find is "Safety Flo-light Solid Tempered" and it is pretty light/hard to see. It's def. a silkscreened baked bird and am confident it is original.
Posted By: Thomas Brandl Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 09:14 PM
Took some pictures before I disassembled my windows for replating the door window plate and roller set (then discovered a complete door glass mounting plate and hardware set at Rick´s First Generation...). Other than the screaming chicken I haven´t noticed any other markings but I can controll them next week for a second time...

(Sorry folks, this will take some space now...)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 09:56 PM
See how the glass bottom is curved/coved? That's the 2nd style glass.
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 10:20 PM
Ya, mine is flat on the bottom. I also discovered a heavy scratch in it where it evidently rubbed against something, and its right where the code is. But I can see this much....
Soft Ray
Safety PPG Flow
AS-2
Solid Tempered
M27.8
Posted By: estep455 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/11/07 11:34 PM
here is the info off of a set of bird glass i have for sale.PPG SAFETY FLO-LITE AS2 26107 SOLID TEMPERED M208. Do not know any thing about the car they came from hope it helps. I will get the info off of my car it has bird glass and is original,will post it later.
Posted By: estep455 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 03:15 AM
here is the info off of my 68. 05A 68-22637 LOR 20460 255 D-5. window info with bird glass tinted. soft ray AS2 26117 M278. hope that is what you needed.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 03:43 AM
The "add it where it isn't, because it's cool" attitude is exactly why a project like this needs to be done.

I've already drawn a couple of conclusions from the sampling so far that surprise me. And with enough data, those cars that have had the glass added should be able to be filtered out.

Keep it coming!
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by Yellowbird
The "add it where it isn't, because it's cool" attitude is exactly why a project like this needs to be done.

I've already drawn a couple of conclusions from the sampling so far that surprise me. And with enough data, those cars that have had the glass added should be able to be filtered out.

Keep it coming!

Vikki I am sure you are aware that Factory Options are added to these cars all the time...Yes bird glass is cool...How do you expect to determine where the bird glass ORIGINALY came from
I personally think GM used a different manufacturer for a short period of time and they could have also made Camaro glass at the same time for GM and they (the manufacturer) put the bird in the glass for their reference. Your thoughts on this?
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 03:53 AM
Not to worry, the glass has characteristics and codes that can potentially stand out as not original.

Of course options are added to cars that did not have them, and removed from cars that did. PHS can filter those. Glass with an emblem does not appear on the Billing History, so it must be discovered through other means.

Both of those theories are unworkable.
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 03:59 AM
Vikki the "where did bird glass come from" is a question that has never been answered before.....I think it will be very hard to find out...BUT good luck.
Posted By: BamaBird68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 04:19 AM
Here is the info on my glass. Bottom of glass is flat.

Safety PPg FLO-LITE
AS-2 26 117
Solid Tempered
M20.8
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 04:39 AM
Thank you! Nailed the codes...need more samples. Glass codes sought, please, along with build dates and assembly plant.
Posted By: BamaBird68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 04:47 AM
11C (3rd week of November at the Lordstown, Ohio plant)

345, 355, 361, 37H, 382, 424, 463, 472, 481, 534, 544, 621, 702, 71M, 72C
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 05:17 AM
Thanks!

Let's see if this new, handy form works...

http://thefirstgensite.com/birdglass.htm
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 05:21 AM
Thanks for the info..just what we need. I'll have my Bird glass information tomorrow, as well as a spare set that came from my friends 68 with PHS and cowl tag dates.
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 05:43 AM
Ahhhh, so that giant scratch on my drivers side glass is covering the 5-digit code. If I get the passenger side down and get it, will it be the same code?
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 05:49 AM
Should be the same code if original. If replaced or replicated at some point, no problem.
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 06:15 PM
Otay, I cleaned off the passenger side glass and found this....

Soft Ray
Safety Flo Lite
PPG
AS-2 26107
Solid Tempered
M27.8

Posted By: BamaBird68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 08:35 PM
Found this article on a camaro site, it's not about the bird glass but does explain some codes.

http://www.camaros.org/glass.shtml
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/12/07 10:19 PM
Let's get back on track...

Please submit glass codes here, bird glass or not. Please indicate whether or not this is bird glass with the appropriate button. http://thefirstgensite.com/birdglass.htm

Thank you.
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/13/07 12:49 AM
OK, No its NOT OK for Banshee to call you names either!

Why cant we all just get along? Its not like some of us live in Bagdad?
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/13/07 01:01 AM
This track as quoted by banshee---"Not fishing here with extraneous posting. POST ONLY IF YOU OWN A 68 WITH BIRD GLASS".
Now you change it to either bird glass or not??? And Jim and I get called names for "changing" his post? Vikki, you get what I mean.
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/13/07 01:22 AM
Looks like this post is way off topic right now, we're freakin splitting hairs here.

Vikki NOW has the vehicle to record the data (GREAT), Banshee perhaps could have done a better job of highlighting the criteria, and a few of us (myself included) probably strayed from the intended intent.

Are some of you not getting any??? grin
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/13/07 01:39 AM
10 pages, and FOUR submissions. Are there only four 'bird glass owners out there? Or only four 1968 Firebirds with window glass?

I should talk...I have three and a guest, and haven't entered any of them either. laugh
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/13/07 01:39 AM
Read your recent post...thanks Vikki, normally in analyses like this if you include the "non-event" times, one can get a clearer picture of the start and stop of "event" times....that was all I was suggesting earlier on.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/13/07 01:43 AM
I agree it may help. When doing manual data entry/tabulation it would have merely been additional workload; with the form it's no more effort to compare with and without codes.
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/13/07 05:22 AM
My request was simple..1968 Firebird owners with a cowl tag date.

I wanted to determine what chassis build dates from Fisher from the Van Nuys Plant ot the Lordstown plant had Bird Glass. I simply asked for 1968 Firebird owners WITH a (verifiable) current cowl tag (owned) so that we could work on something new here. Nothing else, no what if's, no I did this, I had that. I simply didn't request this.

Initially this was for simplistic reference and perhaps some education. I asked nicely, directly and very keenly, two simple requests.

Yes, I was sort of broad, but that is where creative criticism evolves through the use of PM's. If there is something better, something more conclusive, by all means, speak up.

I fail to see the necessity of obliging evasive requests by others, then to be offended by the requestors.

I have permanently blocked those users which I feel detract from our purpose. I also did this because I feel my attitude towards helping people and my overall impression from others influence has wained due to continual fencing on irrelevant jargon which has detracted myself and others from thoroughly enjoying this site with criticism. I refuse to lower myself any longer.
Yes, I made some comments, but those comments would not have been made if the offending parties had complied with the request and obliged reciprocally, avoidance or adherance to the subject matter.

I apologize profusely if I offended anyone, detracted from the enjoyment of the site with my harsh comments and know those that call me regularly know who and what I am and can see past my mistakes.

On with the Bird Glass!
Posted By: Passbob Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/14/07 08:45 AM
1968 Sprint
11D LOR
Yes, it has bird glass. Yipee.
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/14/07 12:56 PM
1968 Ram Air II
10D LOR
no bird glass
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/14/07 04:55 PM
http://thefirstgensite.com/birdglass.htm

Please enter data here. Thank you.
Posted By: 67 Firebird 400 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/14/07 04:56 PM
Will do Vikki...
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/16/07 10:13 PM
Gotta love that bird glass, Banshee!!! grin
Posted By: pedlondarite Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/17/07 06:14 PM
Vikki,

I, and I will assume others here, may only have some of the data being asked for in the fields within the survey (eg., flat or curved bottom). Will some data be of any value or is it to be all or none?

Want to make sure that by putting in only some I'm not diluting the results.

Thanks...
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/17/07 07:55 PM
Provide what you know. The only caveat is that if you know the bird glass is not original to your car, it's not necessary to plug in the body tag info or PHS info.

If entering original bird glass or original non-bird glass, all the data is relevant.
Posted By: BHawkmeck Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/17/07 08:11 PM
Vikki i also have bird glass and mine is a Cammer convertable. Freaking to cold and too much snow to get the #'s for ya. Hopefully will warm up this weekend to get out ther. Ill let ya know.
Daren
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/17/07 08:35 PM
Thanks, Daren. I'm having the same weather issues here!
Posted By: Thomas Brandl Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/21/07 08:44 PM
Just checked my original car glass once again concerning other markings in addition to the info I already have posted:

68 Bird with bird glass
03B
68-22637
259 LOR
F-F (now painted Mayfair Maize)

Have to state that there´s absolutely no other marking neither on the front side, nor the rear side glass. Nothing that looks like "PPG" or "Solid tempered". But then again my car shows the second design glass - as Vikki stated, will say the one with the curved bottom. Hope that helps...
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/21/07 09:40 PM
The code is in the glass just behind the door lock button. Sometimes it is very faint and a light will be needed to catch it from the inside, the letters will be reversed.

It can be very hard to see!
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/22/07 03:02 AM
Ya, its VERY hard to see on mine. It took a few minutes to even find it, and I had to use a light catching it just right to be able to read it. Its roughly 1 3/4" from the back and 7" from the bottom, Thomas.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/22/07 04:37 AM
It can be read with the glass installed...please add your info if you have bird glass.
Posted By: John Larson Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/01/07 03:41 AM
06C w/ bird glass.
Posted By: 8point Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/09/07 06:20 PM
Saw this car on Ebay,

VIN--223378U606205

Cowl--12C

6822437 LOR 14661 body

Has bird glass
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/17/07 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by 19Firebirdrestorer68
Banshee, I have a 68 and i have those fisher door sill plates, does this mean my body is by fisher?
sorry for posting here, i just have to know.

Fisher Body built all Firebird bodies. "Body by Fisher" will also be on your cowl tag.

I just bought two sets of Bird glass, both Soft Ray. One set has a curved bottom, the other set is straight flat bottom... All are 11 or M 208
Posted By: Geoff Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/17/07 01:56 PM
For the curved bottom, is this the edge being discussed or the last couple inches of the glass which is curved?
Posted By: CDJr Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/17/07 03:11 PM
Theres a pic of the curved bottom on page 3, Geoff wink
Posted By: Fbody69 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/17/07 03:48 PM
All the 69 glass is curved. This must be the 'changeover'.
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/17/07 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Geoff
For the curved bottom, is this the edge being discussed or the last couple inches of the glass which is curved?

Geoff,

The glass is curved forward 1.5" from the rear window track mount to the forward edge of the forward 1.5" mount. The length of the curve between those two points, minus 1.5" and 1,5" is 24" with a maximum curve depth of 3.5" at 11.5" from the forward edge over the 24" span.

All my glass is dated 11 of 67 flat and curved edge. 3 complete sets of Bird glass.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/17/07 10:52 PM
Here's a pic of the curved bottom, courtesy Dr. Brandl...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/17/07 10:59 PM
I will take pics of mine seperate, then together with the curved glass up front to show the difference.

Just have to get gurubird to show mw (again) how to post pictures.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/17/07 11:11 PM
email them to me...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 03/25/07 04:23 AM
I finally operated the electric windows (the doors are off the car)
I posted info here: http://thefirstgensite.com/birdglass.htm

The glass has an etched feel on the inside. Here are pictures.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

07D with bird glass
Trim 59 - Verdoro green - black int. and black conv. top
options:
343 - 350cid
352 - auto trans
472 - console
501 - power steering
502 - power brakes
544 - power conv. top
551 - power windows
554 - custom trim
TMD - wsw F70x14 tires
Posted By: 1967-68-bird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 04/27/07 03:23 PM
I have a 68 conv.built 3rd week of oct. I wrote to P.H.S. to get all the info.It came with tinted glass on windshield only.It has no bird glass .It also has standard interior.The odd thing is it also came with front disc brakes but they are not dual piston they are single.I figure because or the lateness of the year it ended up with 69 brakes.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 04/28/07 01:20 AM
Any chance you can enter the data into the form? It asks specific questions to help narrow this down.

Your car is a transitional date. Body tag data would also be helpful for this one!
Posted By: 69firebirdman Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 04/28/07 05:27 AM
the etched bird glass will also fit in the 69.heehehheheeehe
Posted By: Ben Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 08/01/09 03:33 AM
My 12B has the bird glass.
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 08/17/09 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By 69firebirdman
the etched bird glass will also fit in the 69.heehehheheeehe

I know, once I contemplated installing them ,but then it dawned on me that it would never be seen , my top and windows are always down , unless I get caught in the rain , and then nobody notices anyway....
Posted By: Dave's Langley '68 Droptop Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 08/26/09 12:41 AM
LOL, I know, I put the bird glass in, and I never see it....at least it will be pristine when I do raise the windows, once this year for 30 minutes at 60mph....even stays down in the garage...
Posted By: Jake Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 04/25/10 01:42 AM
Bird Glass
11C
68-22437
LOR (Lordstown, OH)
12799 (production #)

- Jake
Posted By: Robert Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 04/29/10 05:22 PM
Sorry, I didn't read through all 12 pages. This is what I had found out when I was researching what looked to be an incorrect window in my 1968. I was a noobie at the time and still am compared to most on this board. My drivers window at a (astro air) logo on it. I thought this was for Camaros only so I checked into it. They stopped making the astro air window in early 68 due to concerns of it being in the way of the side mirror. It might interfere with what you could see in the mirror. They also stopped putting the silver/aluminum wiper arms and went to black with the concern of glare going into the drivers eyes. I'm not sure if this will help or if it has already been mentioned.
Posted By: GregL Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 07/03/10 12:43 AM
My 01B (January) car:

Bird Glass- Yes

Best,
Greg
Posted By: the hippy Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/21/10 08:39 AM
09D sept /car ... 68 22667 ...lor ...production ##5521 it is a convertable and i have no bird glass
Posted By: Michigan Larry Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/22/10 09:30 PM
I have two clear bird glass windows for one side. Don't remember which. If anyone needs one I can dig it out and look.
Posted By: Dansprint68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/23/10 05:18 PM
My First week January 68 400 HO DOES, my third week June 68 Sprint convertible DOES NOT.

Posted By: wovenweb Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/24/10 03:55 AM
Sorry to interupt the conversation, but were any conclusions ever drawn. I went through the thread but didn't see any.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/24/10 07:36 AM
I don't have them in front of me at the moment, but ALL pieces of bird glass were manufactured in one plant, in a limited date code range Oct-Dec 1967. Both tinted and clear glass were made, and this glass was installed primarily in Lordstown cars built 11/67-mid 01/68.

The glass found in later cars and earlier cars still bears date codes from this range of dates, and is virtually guaranteed to have been installed at some point in the car's post-delivery history.

Posted By: wovenweb Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/24/10 09:05 PM
Excellent, thanks for sharing the results. Definitely helps me decide what to do with my car as it was built in Lordstown in May(05D).
Posted By: MGR52 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 04/15/11 08:29 PM
very cool, I was wondering this about my bird glass as well. If it is still needed I can get my code
Posted By: Boater Bill Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/17/12 09:23 PM
My 10C Lordstown, doesn't have the bird glass, but is tinted.
My 05B Lordstown doesn't either
My friends 12D Lordstown does have the bird glass.
Posted By: Davidobx Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/18/12 09:51 PM
Can anyone help me out with a code on the 1967 firebird build tag I have a code that is W-2L* can anyone tell me what this means? The car was the special color o-o produced in I think the autumn of that year. Thank you
Posted By: Davidobx Need help decoding body tag - 02/18/12 10:15 PM
I have a 1967 firebird and one code on the bottom line left side has W-2L* can anyone tell me what that means? Thanks
Posted By: wovenweb Re: Need help decoding body tag - 02/19/12 05:30 PM
1st Group (digit not shown)(W)
W .... Soft-ray Tinted Glass (Windshield Only)
2nd Group(2L)
L .... 4-spd Manual Transmission Floor Shift

Color is Coronado Gold which should be a spring color only. The complete data off the tag would help.
Posted By: Davidobx Re: Need help decoding body tag - 02/19/12 07:53 PM
Thank you very much for the info. The car is at the paint shop and I take possession on Friday here is what they read off the tag for me

ST 67-22437. LOR 18539
ER. 254. O-O
W-2L*
Posted By: Davidobx Re: Need help decoding body tag - 02/19/12 07:55 PM
Any significance to the star after the 2L?
Posted By: flintquail Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/05/12 05:43 AM
My 68 has a date code 11D. It was started 11-67.Lordstown and does have the bird glass.
It is a verdoro green Q2, convertable, 4 sp HO. delux interior. 59, console.
prod. # on the tag is 2138
Don,t know what else would help.

flintquail
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/05/12 06:57 AM
My 68 is date code 05D and has Bird glass.
LOR #7928

400 HO auto, Air, vert, ps,pt,pw
Posted By: wovenweb Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/10/12 11:18 PM
Originally Posted By Gus68
LOR #7928

See prior page.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 11/11/12 04:59 AM
Originally Posted By wovenweb
Originally Posted By Gus68
LOR #7928

See prior page.

What is your build no.?
Posted By: Anthony Palumbo Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 12/08/15 06:55 PM
I have a 1968 Firebird drop top ivy gold interior and G gold exterior...12C build date with the "Bird Glass"...Maybe a special Christmas edition???
Posted By: Banshee Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/15/16 06:56 AM
I have been doing some research on this glass...as far as plant codes, dates..thicknesses...etc.

For those of you who have Bird glass, please post the following.

Date of your build found on cowl tag.

Found on the glass is etching denoting origin/plant of manufacture, date, thickness. Will be found etched on side.

Also include front, back quarter window supplier/manufacturer information. Include if you have clear or tinted, or tinted windshield only. This information can be found on the PHS if you have it.

Example

SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS-2 27-117
SOLID TEMPERED
M20.6
Posted By: Flynbye Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 02/16/16 05:41 AM
Build date: 12A

Clear glass (not Soft Ray)

Left front:
SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS-2 26 117
SOLID TEMPERED
M20.8

Left rear:
SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS-2 27-107
SOLID TEMPERED
M20.6

Right front:
SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS-2 26 107
SOLID TEMPERED
M20.8

Right rear
SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS-2 27-107
SOLID TEMPERED
M20.6
Posted By: 1inxs Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 06/18/18 03:51 AM
It appears this thread is quite old, but if still researching my 1968 with bird glass build code is 01D
Posted By: Chris H Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 09/06/21 02:20 AM
Hello Vikki,

This topic has come up on facebook first generation firebirds https://www.facebook.com/groups/161277239570/user/100024674076842 and I am wondering if there was any more info on the subject other than what you found to this date of your post. I wondered many years ago why my early 68 11A did not have the bird glass and what I found out is similar to your conclusion is that they did not start to install the Bird glass until second to third week of Nov 67 Thanks in advance Chris.H.
Posted By: kcpaul Re: Bird Glass!!!!! - 10/28/21 05:15 PM
1968 PHS: Soft Ray Glass - All windows. Body Tag Trim Built Code: 04A - 1st week of April.

Assembly Plant: LOS

Attached picture 68 Soft-Ray Glass Drivers IMG_0314.jpg
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)