First Generation Firebird
I apologies before I even ask. But is there a diagram or a picture guide somewhere? I took off fenders and everything in front of core support for a motor swap. That was well over a year ago and now I cant remember how it all goes back on.. Like a dummy I did not take any pictures. Also the previous owner did not use correct hard-where and even left off several components (Like Bushings). I believe I have purchased the correct hard-where and I just want to verify I am assembling it correctly. SO is there a diagram or dose anyone have a few really good pictures? Thanks in advance for the help.

Arkangel77
you can go to this link http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/526913-69-firebird-assembly-manual/ and download the assembly manual and it has pics of what goes where.
And http://www.thefirstgensite.com/html/illpartsdex.htm has the parts diagrams for '67-'69 1st Gens. Note with these, there are a few parts that may differ, depending on your year and configuration. As you get to specific parts, just ask.

Thanks for the Links guys - I don't have access to the one site. But that First Gen Site is cool - those diagrams will help for sure. I almost wana go find a local car and ask up if I can poke around! lol

Ya know what they say - A picture is worth a 1000 words! =)
What year is your car? Is it a 400 or AC?

Forum member, '68 400HO owner HaroldB has a good collection of his great restoration progress photos on his website at: http://www.firebird400ho.com/photo-gallery/

If your car is a 69 here is a pic that might help

Attached picture Photo541.jpg
Attached picture Photo542.jpg
This is timely for me. For all you guys that have done it. Is it easier to install front bumper with grills attached as a unit as opposed to grills then bumper. 67 FB. I know rubber fillers/brackets need to go on also. What is easiest sequence? Thank you so much.
I did my 68 front about a week ago.
Yeah kinda a pain - I couldn't get my fender upper front triangle parts off (the parts of fender that mount to bumper support).
Those crazy large phillips screws would not come out and I didnt feel like cutting them off ect.

Idealy I think you take those fender attachments off. With those off I 'think' you can put the whole bumper assy with lights in and screw the like 3-5 bolts from the main frame bumper bracket to the bumper assy on each side - then put upper fender brackets back in. **Note one large round caped bolt has to be fed into the frame bracket on each side and that bolt is put in prior to the lights being attached in the bumper assy as the lights cover that area of the bumper support. This capped bolt was held so its not flopping around by a locking ring/washer when I took mine off.

Since I couldnt get my fender brackets off I put the whole front bumper assy together "with the frame brackets on sticking out" and upper support spacers installed - and fished those brackets in and bolted up 2 large bolts from brackets on each side to the frame. I had to kinda bend those upper fender brackets up a bit when I fit in the bushing spacers that are mounted on top of the bumper support.

Anyway thats what I did and how I think it should be done (not quite how I did it) - man I hope I dont have to do that again. smile
Originally Posted by Spellbound
Yeah kinda a pain - I couldn't get my fender upper front triangle parts off (the parts of fender that mount to bumper support).
Those crazy large phillips screws would not come out and I didnt feel like cutting them off ect. smile

They certainly look like phillips screws but they are actually number 4 Pozidrive screws and take a special Pozidrive driver for the best chance of removing them.

Attached picture Pozidrive4.jpg
Originally Posted by no1cherryman
This is timely for me. For all you guys that have done it. Is it easier to install front bumper with grills attached as a unit as opposed to grills then bumper. 67 FB. I know rubber fillers/brackets need to go on also. What is easiest sequence? Thank you so much.
I did it as a complete unit. I needed a help to get that all positioned and bolted up.

Attached picture FrontBumperUnit1.jpg
Attached picture BumperFillerTop.jpg
No. 4 pozi drive! That's good to know Jim, not knowing that might be why they were such a bugger during my last teardown. Actually had to cut two of them off. Anyone have a couple of spares?
Originally Posted by Jimc2002
Originally Posted by Spellbound
Those crazy large phillips screws would not come out and I didnt feel like cutting them off ect. smile

They certainly look like phillips screws but they are actually number 4 Pozidrive screws and take a special Pozidrive driver for the best chance of removing them.

Thanks! I think mine are rusted on pretty well anyway but if I try again I'll look for that.
I was able to get my front end back together by looking the diagrams and pics on the web. Had to grind two rusted bolts off and then as expected I had a few nut and bolts left over. Lots of pieces to line up. I have heard multiple people say they assembled the entire thing on the bench then installed it to the sub frame as a whole. Next time I'm trying that!
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)