First Generation Firebird
Posted By: billy1979 Sitting up too high - 05/09/19 10:44 PM
Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing lowered a couple inches? Its got new eaton coil springs in the front which are suppose to be factory height and ive been told they will settle somewhat but i cant see them dropping that much. I still have a few things to add to front end such as bumper, grill, radiator, ac compressor which may lower it a little. I really dont want to cut coils off but i might have too. Im sure someone out there has had this problem so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached picture 26523435644210.jpg
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/09/19 10:53 PM
Your on jack stands!

Have a look at the height of my vert.

Attached picture My 400HO Vert.JPG
Posted By: wovenweb Re: Sitting up too high - 05/10/19 12:01 AM
Is the engine in it? Looks like there is a lot of weight not on the car yet.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Sitting up too high - 05/10/19 12:17 AM
Did you tighten the control arm bushings while the car was jacked up?
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/10/19 12:32 AM
Yes engine and trans are in car. Control arm bolts were tightened before sheetmetal and engine and trans installed. Car is at resto shop, just got the front sheetmetal put on and primed, the guy that runs the shop text me concering the front end height. Sounds like control arm bolts need to be loosened up and maybe it will drop a little. I should of known to preload it prior to tightening. Gus68 i hope that if its got stands under it they got them under the frame and not the body. I may need to ask them about that lol.
Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: Sitting up too high - 05/10/19 01:17 PM
That has to be on some kind of jack stand. Also, all suspension components need to be loosened and then torqued to spec when the the vehicle is fully assembled and on the ground.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Sitting up too high - 05/10/19 02:47 PM
Eaton sold me the wrong front springs for my goat vert. The never did believ me that the were wrong. Don’t assume Eaton knows what they are doing. You may need different springs. Maybe figure out what springs they sell for a small block camaro or Nova. Those could be big block camaro springs
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/10/19 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by billy1979
Yes engine and trans are in car. Control arm bolts were tightened before sheetmetal and engine and trans installed. Car is at resto shop, just got the front sheetmetal put on and primed, the guy that runs the shop text me concering the front end height. Sounds like control arm bolts need to be loosened up and maybe it will drop a little. I should of known to preload it prior to tightening. Gus68 i hope that if its got stands under it they got them under the frame and not the body. I may need to ask them about that lol.

It's high and level ... jack stands. Painters like them high off the ground especially if he is tall.
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/11/19 04:37 PM
Just came from the body shop, it is not on jack stands. Its actually sitting that high. The owner said he was going to take one of them out and check the spring rate and also the height and said i may need to remove a coil or even replace them completely which sucks because i gave over 200 bucks for them. When i purchased them i spoke with the owner Mike Eaton and told him everything about the car but im starting to think he sold me springs for something else
Posted By: Mickey Re: Sitting up too high - 05/11/19 09:14 PM
Are those stock control arms
What engine are you running
If they are you’ll probably have to cut the springs
Or get different springs
Some of the aftermarket tube control arms will drop it a couple of inches
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/11/19 09:19 PM
Yes theyre stock, 400 pontiac with 350 turbo tranny
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/13/19 04:59 AM
You could put your head between the tire and the inner wheel well! The wheel looks like it's just hanging there. Take the cover off and take a pic. It would have to be a 4x4 to be that tall.
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/13/19 01:31 PM
If you don't want to cut the springs, I have a new set of front coil springs that I had in my car for a day and know for sure they will look good, will give you the original stance. I ended up going 1" taller for personal preference. If you're interested let me know. They are US made for a 400 car.
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/16/19 12:59 PM
Spring rate was a 1000, he took a coil off and dropped it 1 1/2 inches.

Attached picture 26530036176215.jpg
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/16/19 03:04 PM
What height is your goal? Factory original or something that looks good to you?

From the factory, these cars were very low. Check out some original 60's media and advertising photos and the specs in the Service Manual. I know mine was low in '69 and 70's when it was my daily driver. It could easily get scraped underneath or bottomed out on the rubber stops on bumps and chuckholes of the wonderful Illinois roads, especially with passengers in the car.

When I replaced mine I was hoping for just a little higher clearance but not extreme high.

See: http://www.thefirstgensite.com/library/68sm/frmt/frmt.html for the Service Manual height specs.
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/16/19 11:03 PM
Just a good level stance, not something jacked up like a 4x4. I may leave it where its at now, im going with bigger rims and tires so that should help fill in the void.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Sitting up too high - 05/17/19 01:39 AM
Don't count on that. My245/45/17s were about 1/2-3/4" shorter that my stock 14" rally's with 235/60/14s on them.
Posted By: ped Re: Sitting up too high - 05/17/19 09:32 AM
Put some 2" drop spindles on that thing.
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/17/19 07:04 PM
Thats probably what im gonna have to do. Just more money thrown at this never ending project. I had a chance to get drop spindles instrad of the stock height ones that are on it now but didnt think i would need them. If i could go back i would of just got me one that some other poor fool sank all his money into and needed to sell for much less than he had in it, now im probably going to be that fool who will take a big loss if i ever need to sell. This has definately been a learning experience
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Sitting up too high - 05/17/19 08:35 PM
Here is the webpage with the rear springs and front coils from Eaton. Notice the different options available. You can order each spring's ride height by +/- 1"-3". A/C + 400 eng + 350 trans and the body panels, bumpers etc. remaining to go on, add a lot of weight to the front end. You need to have all the stuff installed before you can really see what the final height will be. If you can find out what the static height is without the load that could help validate it. In the meantime, double check you have the right springs, install them. Once your car is complete then validate the height.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/findmyvehicle/

Attached picture Find Leaf   Coil Springs For Your Vehicle  Also Shocks  Installation Kits    More    EATON Detroit Spring.png
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)