First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Riv Tyler 1969 Coupe grounding straps - 10/10/19 01:55 AM
Hi everyone -

I couldn't find a definitive answer and what I have found contradicts other things I've found both here and in the service manual.

Can anyone definitively tell me what the grounding scheme should be on a '69 coupe? I've heard that the negative battery terminal should have a jumper to the fender, but the service manual doesn't seem to show that and most parts sources don't specify a cable with that feature.

Also, where are the ground straps supposed to be? I've had a host of issues that I think are likely due to bad grounds and would like to get them sorted out.

Thanks!

Riv
Posted By: anguilla1980 Re: 1969 Coupe grounding straps - 10/10/19 05:50 AM
Subscribing to this thread to see what others have to say...
Posted By: Firebob Re: 1969 Coupe grounding straps - 10/10/19 03:48 PM
Well let's see. There is one small braided ground from the back of the pass side head to the firewall. Another just like it spanning the front subframe/firewall near the oil filter location. there are lots of grounding wires all over the car for various systems like the headlights, parking lamps, tai lights. Lots of them under the dash. There are even thin metal pieces that ground several nits together like behind the instrument cluster. Several on the body. Some ground through the body of the device itself to the engine block. I don't know where you would find a complete list of every ground for every part but if there were one it would be a long list.
Posted By: 4dabird Re: 1969 Coupe grounding straps - 10/11/19 06:45 PM
Try to locate the 69 Assembly manual. That will have all the blow up photos that show each component and how/where it installs.

Vikki's site had a copy www.thefirstgensite.com I believe.
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: 1969 Coupe grounding straps - 10/16/19 08:57 AM
This is what I had on my car when I tore it down. Pretty sure the left ground is correct from the firewall to frame but not sure the ground on the right to the motor is correct.

Attached picture P2160098.JPG
Attached picture P2160099.JPG
Posted By: Firebob Re: 1969 Coupe grounding straps - 10/16/19 06:22 PM
No, not correct but you can't have enough grounds.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)