First Generation Firebird
Our old door handle push button rod broke off the push button (1969 Firebird Convertible). We bought a new replacement and adjusted the length per the instructions.

We were able to open and close the door successfully, but we locked it and unlocked it, but now can't open the door. The key seems to lock/unlock properly.

Anyone know how to unlock the mechanism and open the door? We have tried to hold the interior door handle up and lift the door with the exterior handle while to open the door.
We decided to remove the door handle. After removing the handle (very hard to get the bolts out, wife has small hands)and got the door to open. Then I check the length of the rod in the push button on the other door. Ground more of the rod and it worked. I measured the length of the rod and wrote it down on the instructions and put it with the other push button / rod assembly.

Sam
You must have not had the inner door panel on yet. Glad you got the door handle back off. I though you were going to have to cut through the door panel.
Yes we did A few years ago we toke the car out of winter storage. The passenger door would not open. Laying across the center console I got lucky and was able to take off the panel. That was the easy part. Using a Dremel tool I had to cut out the door latch very carefully. Found out later that the three screws that held the latch came loose enough that latch would not open the door. So here is suggestion make sure you check the those screws that hold the latch on once in awhile to make sure they are tight. Trust me you never want to cut out the latch it is not easy.

Sam
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)