First Generation Firebird
Posted By: jman01 Hood.. - 12/14/21 01:43 PM
Ok. It’s been a long road but I’m down to the last few issues. Hood. It will not sit flat. The hinges are new. I’ve tried grinding out the holes. I lift up on the hood and tightened the bolts. It’s about a 1/4 off. I’m thinking about moving the fender. But isn’t the hood hinge attached to the fender?? Will that even help? Anyone??
Posted By: Ronnie S Re: Hood.. - 12/15/21 06:35 AM
You could try adding a shim between the hinge and the hood, but only at the location of the front bolt. This will make the hinge to be at a slightly lower angle when the hood is closed.
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Hood.. - 12/18/21 08:47 PM
You're SOL. I had the same problems, couldn't get it perfect and finally came across a professional classic car body work site. Found out the issue is throughout the years the hood essentially bows from opening and closing and leaves the mismatch against the fenders. There is a video of a guy straightening (de-bowing) the hood using 4x4's and a come along and it works perfectly. Don't waste your time shimming and adjusting, it does not work! Been there, done that. Like you already said, you can slightly loosen the hinges and force the hood up to adjust to the cowl, you can also fudge the rubber bumpers on the fender, but it won't make it perfect. SOL cause we both already have our hoods painted. I learned just to live with it. These cars had a lot of uneven gaps and mismatched panels from the factory, so the only way to get everything perfect is by assembling it, align, grind, weld and then finish paint.
Posted By: 1badindn Re: Hood.. - 12/19/21 10:47 PM
I don’t think original 1967 Firebird hoods bow from opening and closing. I think the people on the internet using 2x4s on their hoods are dealing with Chinese reproductions. Is your hood an original hood?
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)