First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Mania 68 firebird - reverse/taillights not working - 06/05/19 10:10 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a 68 firebird convertible that needs some minor work here and there. I was trying to get the turn signals working (which they are now) but I noticed my reverse/taillights arent working. I checked the bulb sockets and even put new bulbs in but theyre still being difficult. Anyone have any ideas?
Probably the switch. Maybe just an adjustment required, maybe something more involved.
I can't remember if the 68 and 69 tail lights are the same but have dealt many light issues on these things i can't tell you how many times the issue was a bad ground or a bad connection. Get a wiring diagram. Cleaning things up and check for power along the way. Things just get corroded and loose.
I can't remember if the 68 and 69 tail lights are the same and where they ground but have dealt many light issues on these things i can't tell you how many times the issue was a bad ground or a bad connection. Get a wiring diagram. Cleaning things up and check for power along the way. Things just get corroded and loose. I know that's a simple answer that you already knew but it's usually the solution. Switches do go bad too.
Automatic?
My reverse lights wouldn't work because someone removed, and never replaced, my backup light switch on the trans housing (4spd manual).
And UConn is right. Good grounds are so important.
Something I found (the hard way, duh) is when you remove a ground and paint under it, then replace with new hardware, could lose ground contact. Run a wire direct to your neg battery terminal to the ground on your lights. At least you'll rule out, or confirm, a ground issue.
Originally Posted by ReverendRW
Automatic?
My reverse lights wouldn't work because someone removed, and never replaced, my backup light switch on the trans housing (4spd manual).
And UConn is right. Good grounds are so important.
Something I found (the hard way, duh) is when you remove a ground and paint under it, then replace with new hardware, could lose ground contact. Run a wire direct to your neg battery terminal to the ground on your lights. At least you'll rule out, or confirm, a ground issue.

Most of the time it's a grounding issue. 1st think I would recommend is to upgrade the lighting. The wiring for the lights on these cars suck.
I will convert mine to LED with new sockets. Your grounding issue will go away as a result of your upgrade. Make sure the mounting plate is clean when you plug in the socket.

If you intend to keep the old for now I would suggest the following:

1. Install ground terminal block. Mount somewhere in trunk and ground it to a good connection on the frame.
2. Clean your all ground contacts
3. Run grounding wire from terminal block to ground contacts

For example, on your rear tail light harness there is a ground wire that comes out of the harness and is screwed into the frame. Connect your grounding wire from the harness to the ground terminal block. Do this for anything that you feel might not be getting a good ground.

Attached picture 30 Amp Terminal Block   4 Position   WiringProducts  Ltd..png
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)