First Generation Firebird
Posted By: csell_willys Modern radio for '68 - 06/15/20 10:56 PM
I searched around a little bit and don't see any recent discussion on this topic. My car doesn't currently have a radio in it. I'm looking for something that fits the factory hole, but has modern sound quality, blue tooth, and maybe XM radio.

It looks like there are several options out there for stock appearing radios with modern guts (Classic Car Stereo, Retro Sound, etc). Wondering if anybody has any experience with them, particularly if there is one to avoid.

I would also be open to the option of a bezel that will fit a typical modern radio into the dash without having to cut up the dash. The car is a restomod, so I'm not that concerned about original appearance.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Posted By: Dennis in Indiana Re: Modern radio for '68 - 06/20/20 02:23 PM
I put an Antique Automobile Radio in my ‘68. Fit the original dash opening well. Used the original dash plate, no modifications required. I used a Retro Sound dual cone speaker in original front location and a pair of 6x9 JBL 3-ways in the package shelf.
I would rate overall performance as fair. That said, I haven’t messed with it much. Love the way the motor sounds so I generally listen to that.
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: Modern radio for '68 - 06/20/20 03:54 PM
There are AM/FM/Bluetooth conversions out there for our stock radios. When done, they look just like the original. I could take a picture of my AM radio (converted to AM/FM), but it would look like a 1967 Firebird AM radio. From the front, you cannot tell it has been converted. Sound quality is good, not excellent.
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Modern radio for '68 - 06/20/20 11:33 PM
These look like the originals except they're bluetooth and mp3 compatible.

Attached picture Screenshot_2020-06-20-18-28-12.png
Posted By: uconn86hgiv Re: Modern radio for '68 - 06/21/20 11:34 AM
Most of the "look old" modern radios are very similar in performance. I don't know what your desire is in terms of sound but adding a simple amp will make a huge difference and installation is simple. You can find quality amp and 4 speaker packages on the Scamazon for less than $200! Also consider adding kick panel speakers, as 4 speakers sound way better than 2. You can modify a stock kick panel for a speaker fairly easy. Someone posted a template years ago. The prefab replacement kick panels made to accept speakers are reported to have terrible fitment. I would avoid the dash speaker.

If you can do some basic wiring you will have a great system for about $600. Or roll into your favorite car audio store and for about 1K they will make it sound very nice.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)