First Generation Firebird
Posted By: willdog 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/15/20 08:21 PM
first post in forever.

Finally getting the old girl back together.

Noticed my steering wheel is seemingly melting. Its very tacky and not pleasant to touch.

Is there a way to coat or seal this as the wheel is in decent shape ? Or do I need to find a new one?
Posted By: Gus68 Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/15/20 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by willdog
first post in forever.

Finally getting the old girl back together.

Noticed my steering wheel is seemingly melting. Its very tacky and not pleasant to touch.

Is there a way to coat or seal this as the wheel is in decent shape ? Or do I need to find a new one?

If it's not cracked that bad but it's sticky best to give it to me.

It's begging for a new owner. lol

Is the car in the sun a lot? Maybe try some wax & grease remover on it. Not too much
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/15/20 08:56 PM
This was posted on PY from a similar question: (not my response, I don't know)

I've had good luck getting rid of the sticky by using hand cleaner. Joes works really good
Posted By: Bob S. Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/15/20 10:20 PM
It's useless. The plastic is breaking down after 51 years. Time for a repop wood wheel.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/15/20 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bob S.
It's useless. The plastic is breaking down after 51 years. Time for a repop wood wheel.

Easy Bob, your going to wet your depends. lol
Posted By: Bob S. Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/15/20 11:34 PM
You're lucky I'm not allowed into Canada. Those are fighting words
Posted By: Gus68 Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/16/20 12:08 AM
Well I'm truly sorry Bob, it was not my intention to cause you any stress. Can I send you some beer? I love our friends from NY.
Posted By: willdog Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/16/20 01:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Great to see the community still going strong after being away for a few years!

Aaron
Posted By: Ronnie S Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/16/20 05:58 AM
I have the same problem with the original steering wheel for my 69 Firebird. It is the three-spoke de-luxe wheel, like this one:
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1969_1976_Firebird_Deluxe_Style_Steering_Wheel_p/ste-2022.htm
It ssems to be made from some "soft" plastic that now has become sticky. So far, I haven't found any way to restore the wheel.

Right now, the car has a simulated wood wheel in it (like the one in the picture here: https://www.yearone.com/Product/196...-firebird-trans-am-parts/pj5#prettyPhoto ) but it would be nice to have the original steering in order too.

Sorry that I couldn't be of any help.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/16/20 11:25 AM
I've got one in my 69 goat. It's a little sticky. I had another 69 goat that I sold. That had a wheel that was really gooey and soft. I got a pretty nice non sticky one from a friend and replaced it. There are better and worse ones out there. They are deteriorating at different rates but they are deteriorating. My point was that if your wheel is getting sticky it is toast and there is not much to do about it. That is my experience. I'm not offended Gus. Just kidding around.
Posted By: willdog Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/16/20 08:17 PM
Seems like the wood replacement is the best option as most of these wheels are starting to break down.
Posted By: Firebob Re: 69 Steering wheel melting! - 09/17/20 01:38 AM
My wheel has been sticky and then not through the years. It comes and goes depending on the heat levels inside the car. I would try a little armor-all or some sort of cleaner/sealer with silicone. Of course you don’t want your steering wheel too slippery. That might cause other issues you don’t want.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)