First Generation Firebird
It has been a few years since I took out the transmission and motor. I went back to my baggies and found I only have three bolts and for some reason 5 nuts in the bag for the crossmember mount. I do have two washers and bolts for the center mount but I am talking about the crossmember to frame bolt up. I am trying to figure out how the heck that goes back in. I have the motor on the mounts and loosely tightened but I need to figure this out.

Looking at the crossmember it has round holes on one side and oval on the other. Which side do the oval holes need to be? Passenger or drivers?

Also, how does this thing bolt up to the sub-frame? I assume it is laid on top and then bolted on but I am trying to figure out how it is done. For example, do you use nuts and bolts to do it? Nuts on top?

I know it sounds dumb to ask and I wouldn't if I didn't have to but I have been searching everywhere for pics and can't find any and everything I read says, "remove cross member or install cross member" and no explanation or pics.

Any info or pics would really help.

SAM
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Transmission crossmember mounting question - 06/01/12 01:44 AM
Auto or std tranny?
Auto. I am soooo frustrated.

SAM
X-member mounts with the tranny flange facing to the rear (at least with the TH 400). Where it bolts to the subframe, bolts go in from the bottom, nuts and lock washers on the top.

Have fun, there is very little room in there to get an angled box wrench on the top nuts.
Not sure what the "tranny flange" is referring to.

Do you have to loosen a body bolt to get the thing up there? It would help if I new which side the oval holes go or to see a pic. I have every manual and can't seem to find one picture.

SAM
The flange is the part the transmission mount bolts to. Reread my message above. I had it backwards the 1st time.

You don't have to loosen subframe bolts and you would not want to as that could cause the subframe to shift throwing off suspension and front clip alignment.

It's tight, but do-able. You slide it in rotated off staight perpendicular a bit.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Transmission crossmember mounting question - 06/01/12 02:18 AM
Here is a pic...

4 bolts & 4 nuts for attachment to frame.

2 bolts to attach to tyranny mount

X member will only work one way. Flange pointing away from engine (see pics).

Attached picture Auto Xmember flange.JPG
Attached picture bolt to frame.JPG
Attached picture bolt to frame2.JPG
I am sorry I still don't under stand the flange statement. Mine has two oval holes in the middle that the bolts go through and no flange. Also it has an indent in the crossmember that looks like it should allow clearance for something. Not sure which side it is mounted on either. Here is a pic below.

SAM

http://www.frankspontiacparts.com/engineparts/5649c43c0.jpg
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Transmission crossmember mounting question - 06/01/12 03:01 AM
Originally Posted By off2wildblue
I am sorry I still don't under stand the flange statement. Mine has two oval holes in the middle that the bolts go through and no flange. Also it has an indent in the crossmember that looks like it should allow clearance for something. Not sure which side it is mounted on either. Here is a pic below.

SAM

http://www.frankspontiacparts.com/engineparts/5649c43c0.jpg

You have a 2sp Power-glide transmission if you have that type of x member. Installs the same on the frame. It only goes one way as you will see the slope it has for the mounting. Don't sweat it. Put the engine & tranny in and then install x member. You will have it right if the bolts line up.
Got it. Sledge hammer with a little tap, tap, tap. I still need to put the transmission lines on so I will probably have to drop it once more.

Thanks,

SAM
Glad to see you two got it figured out.

I had to go change out the plugs and wires on my truck before it got too dark.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)