First Generation Firebird
Can anyone send me or point me to a photo or schematic of the '69 auto transmission console shifter assembly? I'm starting to get the feeling that my shifter assy is not a 1969 version. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Keith
keitharose58@yahoo.com

Links

http://www.tpocr.com/68-69fbatconsoleshftipc.html

What exactly are you looking for?
If you can push the shift handle sideways, it's a '69.

Attached picture DSC_0039.jpg
I've ordered two different '69 shifter slider seals and neither will work on my shifter. So this leads me to believe I might not have a '69 shifter.

Keith
Originally Posted By Mushroombert
What exactly are you looking for?
If you can push the shift handle sideways, it's a '69.

Lee, what do you mean if you can push it sideways, it is a 69? Not quit following that!
Suppose I should clarify that. Depends on what transmission you have. The TH400 (3-speed) had a ratchet type shifter. If you put the shifter down in low, then you can push the shifter handle to the right and it will upshift only one gear at a time. If i'm remembering right (which is questionable lately) the 3-speed trannys weren't available until 69. If you got a 2-speed you're out of luck.

I'll look if I have a pic of the top of the shifter.
here's a pic of the top.

Attached picture IMG_0671s.jpg
Thanks for clarifying that Lee, but makes me wonder about mine. I have the 69 shifter and had a Th400 that the car came with but recently changed the transmission out to a 2004R, but I dont ever recall being able to push the shift handle to the right and upshifting one gear at a time....interesting, I guess i will have to check that out...lol Learn something everyday!
I am wondering if we have the same problem. My 400 tranny does not have the inset to mount the shifter seal in. My transmission guy said he has never seen one before that did not have a place to install the seal. Did any anyone ever see one of these with the seal inside the case?
Louie
3-speed Turbo-hydromatic 400's were available in '67 and '68, usually behind a 400 V8.

The ratchet shifter was somewhat unique.
Originally Posted By salmon38
3-speed Turbo-hydromatic 400's were available in '67 and '68, usually behind a 400 V8.

Yup, I was wrong on that. eek Must have been thinking something else. (I don't know the '67's & '68's as well as the '69's)
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)