First Generation Firebird
Posted By: ruffnutt need help.... with my motor - 06/22/14 03:31 AM
got my engine back from the machinse shop... took forever..

how should the mains go... from front to back

mine goes 1-2-4-3 and no number on the last rear main...

is that right?

and where do the double sided head bolts go?
Posted By: ruffnutt Re: need help.... with my motor - 06/23/14 02:51 AM
thanks banshee for pm'ing the picture..
i guess 1- 2 -3 -4 was to complicated for the machine shop.
the guy that put it together was in his 70's... he was the only one to seem to know anything about pontiacs..
'all they do now is newer motors...
Posted By: ruffnutt Re: need help.... with my motor - 06/23/14 02:52 AM
can someone find me a good put together a pontiac motor breakdown and torque guide...
Posted By: go2fast Re: need help.... with my motor - 06/25/14 05:44 AM
What did the machine shop do to the block? I'd be very concerned that the main caps were on wrong...
Posted By: ruffnutt Re: need help.... with my motor - 06/26/14 04:18 AM
they came to the house and picked it up. the mains were wrong 3 and 4 were switched..
the guy that put the motor together was in his 70's so i think he needs glasses. his son fixed the problems and should have it fixed tomarrow..
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: need help.... with my motor - 06/26/14 03:12 PM
Man it's hard to believe the caps were switched, they are registered in place with pins. There's no way mine could be switched unless the pins were removed as they are not in the same position at each saddle. The number four is also the thrust bearing, the cap is machined on the sides to fit the bearing. Were the bearings and crank in the block or just the block and caps with the caps on loose? Did the machine shop assemble the whole engine or just do the block machining?
I recheck every spec on a block when I get one from a machine shop, I'm not saying machinists aren't professional and competent but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: need help.... with my motor - 06/26/14 03:42 PM
Pic of 3&4

Attached picture Pruning 069.jpg
Attached picture Pruning 073.jpg
Attached picture Pruning 076.jpg
Posted By: bigchief Re: need help.... with my motor - 06/26/14 06:01 PM
X2
Never trust anyone.
I disassembled a short block a hack machine shop put together. Found out they must have used main caps off another block, the down pins did not line up, the bolt holes for the mains did not line up. You had to fight to just get the main bolts threaded in.
They must have had a monkey assemble this block.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: need help.... with my motor - 06/27/14 03:19 PM
The caps are torqued and align bored at factory then the thrust surface of number four is fly-cut in place. Any time a cap is replaced the main line has to be rebored.
Putting the cap in the wrong position is a major screw up. I still can't fathom how the thrust bearing would have been installed in the wrong cap or how anyone would expect the engine to live.
I don't want to spread doom and gloom but I think if the machine shop assembled the engine I would disassemble and reassemble it measuring everything along the way. If they just did the machining and did not assemble the engine measure everything twice. If you don't have the tools to measure the block and internal parts you may be able to rent them or maybe a FGF member in your area could help out.
Posted By: ruffnutt Re: need help.... with my motor - 07/09/14 06:14 AM
It's suppose to be done , I'll post pics later
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)