First Generation Firebird
Posted By: acenho Engine placement - 02/25/19 12:03 AM
Getting closer on engine swap. Engines been in for few weeks and looked great. I just put in radiator support and looked like support was crooked. Measured from firewall and it is same measurement driver side and passenger. So with more measuring it looks like the engine sits crooked as I measured from support to front of heads and one side is a good inch difference. Is the engine normally set this way. It’s bolted to engine mounts and trans mount.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Engine placement - 02/25/19 12:41 AM
Yes. The motor is shifted to the passenger side to clear the steering gear. Chevy designed the chassis for a Chevy small block. Poncho motors and big block chevys are shifted over
Posted By: salmon38 Re: Engine placement - 02/25/19 01:54 AM
Also the cylinder heads in a V8 motor are offset fore and aft the width of one connecting rod journal. So one head always sits more forward than the other.
Posted By: acenho Re: Engine placement - 02/26/19 12:19 PM
ok just confirming left to right the engine does sit closer to the passenger side to clear steering gear.

That i see but it also sit sits closer to the firewall on one side than the other is this correct also. or as I look at i further from the radiator on one side than the other
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Engine placement - 02/26/19 06:26 PM
Correct. The engine is cocked. The transmission mount is centered on the cross member but the engine sits towards the passenger side so it is also at an angle. Note that the bulge on the fan shroud is towards the passenger side
Posted By: Bronze Bird Re: Engine placement - 02/27/19 05:14 AM
Clearing steering gear is just coincidental.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Engine placement - 02/27/19 11:54 AM
Small block chevys in camaros are centered
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Engine placement - 02/27/19 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bob S.

Thanks Bob, we can all sleep better knowing that. lol
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Engine placement - 02/27/19 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Gus68

Thanks Bob, we can all sleep better knowing that. lol

LOL
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Engine placement - 02/27/19 04:50 PM
Correct. The engine is cocked. The transmission mount is centered on the cross member but the engine sits towards the passenger side so it is also at an angle. Note that the bulge on the fan shroud is towards the passenger side

Made it hard for people in Australia when they moved steering wheel over...
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)