First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Purple haze Cold Case Radiators - 07/02/19 04:49 PM

Hey fellas, can you tell me what you know about Cold Case Rads? Or others. My original rad is worn out and it's time to upgrade. I have an Engineered Cooling Products aluminum rad in my 69 Lemans and it works great. Unfortunately they don't make one for my 67 bird 400. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/02/19 06:41 PM
Can't help you with the Cold Case, but something other to think about...
Say your 400 miles from home in one horseville and get a stone in your rad which causes a leak. If it's a brass radiator the local garage could most likely solder it up for you, if it's an aluminium radiator chances are your stuck 400 miles from home until you get a replacement delivered.
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/02/19 07:03 PM
My recommendation is to find yourself a good 'ol radiator shop and have your Harrison rebuild. They are good radiators and a reputable old time radiator shop can clean and re-core your old one. Ask them to put in a high efficiency core, especially if it's a 4 core and you have A/C. I had mine done and am running a HD fan clutch and run 180F all day long......
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/02/19 07:31 PM
There’s hardly any radiator shops left. Radiators are disposable these days
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/02/19 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by ramair68
My recommendation is to find yourself a good 'ol radiator shop and have your Harrison rebuild. They are good radiators and a reputable old time radiator shop can clean and re-core your old one. Ask them to put in a high efficiency core, especially if it's a 4 core and you have A/C. I had mine done and am running a HD fan clutch and run 180F all day long......

I had it tested at an old timer's rad shop, or so he said. It's not leaking and he said it would be too expensive to recore ( 4 row original man trans) but it was still in decent shape.. If I felt like I trusted the dude, I might go that way. I know my Lemans runs cool with the aluminum , two 1.25 tube rad and much more efficient than copper/brass . As far as having a rock hole fixed when I'm out of town, SOL I guess.
Posted By: Dennis in Indiana Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/03/19 01:22 AM
Had mine freshened up by a shop in Valpo. Valpo Radiator maybe? Guy was cool. I asked him for a record he said no. Fixed a couple tubes for a few bucks. Was a few years ago, not sure if they are still there. Worth a phone call.
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/03/19 01:15 PM

Just want to keep my motor cool. I have a new water pump w/ cast impeller. I made sure the separator plate was gapped properly. New shroud. 7 blade clutch fan. New sender for the ralley gauge. I buried the gauge on a 90 deg day test drive. Never died or ran bad and restarted ok.
Posted By: bigchief Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/07/19 03:42 AM
Verify the temperature with an infrared heat gun or hooking up another temperature gauge
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/08/19 02:25 PM
Did that. It's hot. I'm ordering a cold case radiator today. Seems like a very nice , direct replacement unit. I will keep you updated with the results. Thanx fellas

Attached picture thumbnail.jpg
Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/08/19 03:45 PM
What's HOT? You never stated a temperature or thermostat opening temperature.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/08/19 10:33 PM
Probably all that color changing paint that did it. Not sure a new radiator is going to fix that.
Posted By: maxepr Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/08/19 10:56 PM
Put one in my 350 ac car that creeped up to at times 225-230 at higher speeds, Went in real easy held the car around 190 ish in 95 degree heat running 70-80 ish for 20 min or so fixed my problem. you cam IM me any time leave your number ill call you. I do have an extra one in basement too... Ron
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/09/19 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
What's HOT? You never stated a temperature or thermostat opening temperature.

40 min drive on a 90 deg day got me to nearly 250 on the ralley gauge. 180 stat , 9 lb rad cap. Ran ok though. Restarted and ran fine after it cooled down.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/09/19 04:06 AM
Well you can't really trust the numbers on 50 year old temp gauges but even if it's close that's too hot. I think you should be running a 13-15 pound cap but that shouldn't make that much difference. I'd of sounds like your thermostat isn't opening like it should.
Does it heat up within a short time after you start it up? Try running without it and see what happens.
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/09/19 09:11 AM
Put a cold case in my 69 FB and fits great along with a Spal dual elec fan. Have not run it yet since I am 3/4 way through my restoration.
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/17/19 01:38 PM
OK, Cold Case rad is in. Nice fit although I don't like the lower clips for shroud and it seems to be higher up compared to the old set up. I had to ditch my 19.5" clutch fan and go to a 19" flex.I drove it on another 90 deg day and it was just above half on the ralley gauge. !80 stat and new cap that came with the rad ( don't know the cap psi , it's not on the cap). I need to take it for a longer ride to be sure but so far I like it.

Attached picture coldcase.jpg
Posted By: Firebob Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/18/19 03:21 AM
How many rows and what size are the tubes? Bought where? Cost?
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/18/19 08:51 AM
Should be a 2 row with 1.25 tubes. FB central is where I got mine. You might be able to get it cheaper by looking around but they had the best price when I purchased.
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1967_1969_COLD_CASE_Aluminum_Radiator_AT_p/rad-403.htm
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/18/19 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by USMC_Ordy
Should be a 2 row with 1.25 tubes. FB central is where I got mine. You might be able to get it cheaper by looking around but they had the best price when I purchased.
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1967_1969_COLD_CASE_Aluminum_Radiator_AT_p/rad-403.htm

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rad-chc11
True, USMC Ordy. Here's the link to Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rad-chc11. $359 ,free shipping and I got it in two days
Posted By: bill v Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/19/19 12:57 AM
Cold case is owned by the original owner of Year One, he has also been a big Pontiac guy. His rads should fit pretty good..

What I did with our original Harrisson rad was, I filled it with Vinegar and let it sit for 24 hrs and then flushed it with tons of water, worked great.
it was loaded with white build up and that cleaned it out good.

bill v
Posted By: Firebob Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/19/19 01:00 PM
Now I'm wondering if I can get enough out of my original Harrison to buy the cold case. Might be a wash( money wise) . I end up with a much better rad and some Chevy guy gets a correct rad for his maro small block car. Win/win.
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Cold Case Radiators - 07/19/19 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Firebob
Now I'm wondering if I can get enough out of my original Harrison to buy the cold case. Might be a wash( money wise) . I end up with a much better rad and some Chevy guy gets a correct rad for his maro small block car. Win/win.

I think a recore on a Harrison is pretty expensive. If you're not worried about keeping your ride all original, it's a great option. New aluminum well built radiator is way more efficient . I all for it.
Posted By: Stripes Re: Cold Case Radiators - 08/15/19 03:36 PM
Cold case is the way to go. Paint it black and no one will know....
Posted By: anguilla1980 Re: Cold Case Radiators - 08/21/19 08:56 PM
I went with C&R
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)