First Generation Firebird
I have a Rochester 7028264 that I might like to have professionally rebuilt, replated and tuned. Before having that done, I need to confirm its authenticity.

I am asking for a couple 7028264 owners to examine their carbs for the part numbers on the three major sub-assemblies.

The carb I bought has a layer of grime, suggesting it has been undisturbed for a long time, possibly never. The issue is that the numbers on it do not match the numbers in the parts catalog.

- The throttle body (base) is stamped 7037174 yet the GM documentation shows it should be 7035577.
- The bowl (center section) is stamped 7034973 yet the GM docs show 7036330. (This part also has the carb assembly 7028264 number, a plant code but no date code.)
- I cannot find a number on the air horn (top). GM says it should be part number 7036419.

Are other 7028264s like mine? Is the parts book wrong? Was this carb I found rebuilt decades ago with a variety of parts? Is there some other explanation?
many 68's the date code was on the base plate below the body stamp

on the edge facing the fender

might try your question over on the py forum alot of carb guys there
Thanks. Good idea to ask at PY. I don't find a date code in that location or anywhere on it. There are a few scattered single letters or numbers here and there in places on the carb but none I can find strung together as a date code. There are a few part numbers on little parts like covers and valves.
Might be easier to post some pictures. If you don't have a date code stamped on the base then there is a good possibility that you have an early 70's "service replacement" unit.
Originally Posted by ramair68
Might be easier to post some pictures. If you don't have a date code stamped on the base then there is a good possibility that you have an early 70's "service replacement" unit.

I attached a bunch of photos.

First a little story: Since May 1971 I've been using, what appears to be, a '67 GTO MT with AIR Rochester Quadrajet. It was put on when some fool (aka me) stripped the fuel inlet replacing the filter and had the car towed to a local service station for repair. Their repair choice was replacing my original 7028264 with a parts store rebuilt carb. My quest has been to replace any remaining non-original parts on my Bird with matching numbers originals. So, I want to find a very good original 7028264, rebuild it, and replace mine. The issue is, does this 7028264 that I bought and held onto several years ago qualify as fully original?

What got me wondering about it was the lack of the port on the side used with the distributor vacuum advance/retard. Perhaps Rochester stopped adding that port when Pontiac eliminated the vacuum retard function in the later '68 Technical Service Bulletin? I thought that might be because this was a late model year built carb. It also might be explained with your "service replacement" comment.

Attached picture IMG_2837b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2826b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2827b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2828b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2829b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2830b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2831b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2834b.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2836b.jpg
nice carb

looks like a julian date of 344 with a soft 3 to me

Ya know - it may be the stiff Margarita I made for myself today, but I wanted to let you know that I admire your efforts to pursue the numbers matching quest you are on. History needs to be properly documented and preserved.

Sent from a guy who ventured too far down the restomod path before he found out how rare his car was. cry
Doh! I looked at my emails way back to when I got the carb. The gentleman I got it from told me that he thought the base was probably not from the carb originally. It has been so long ago, I forgot. He suggested that I use the one on my car now or locate another. That's why the vacuum port is not on it. Also, any date possibly on it is not relevant.

Time to find a correct base. Anyone have a 7035577 throttle body they want to sell?

salmon38, The path you took is fine too. The main thing is that we enjoy the hobby. It has been fun researching and replacing stuff I had to replace on it over the years with original parts. Fortunately, the main power train (engine, trans, diff) are all the originals it was built with. I have replaced non-original parts like the alternator, master cylinder, battery, air filter element, radiator, belts, headlamps, tires, regulator, etc with parts that are NOS, restored originals or good repros.
My story is that I purchased my built for CA (smog equip) 400 about 5 years before I found the site here and found out it was one of 1500 later on.

My conscience is also tempered by the fact that my unique Quadrajet, air cleaner, and factory rear end had already been swapped out by the time I had purchased the car.
My guide from a 1985 Pontiac magazine states that a 7028264 carb was on a 1968 Firebird 400 HO, probably would have 16 heads but I'm not positive on the heads.
Update: The numbers I see in the little circles stamped on the base and float bowl may be casting numbers and not related to the parts book part numbers.

That said, I still do have the wrong base/throttle body on that 7028264 and need one from a '68 Firebird Quadrajet before I have it restored. It has to have the vacuum port on the passenger side of the base. Some may not. Anyone have one available?
Here's good source for parts like that Jim.

I've got a few things I needed here.

You can post in the parts wanted as well as check the parts for sale section.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
Thanks Jeff. I just posted a wanted ad there.
Looks like a rebuilt carb to me,, as whats that sticker on the fuel inlet..
Originally Posted by Carlbird1
Looks like a rebuilt carb to me,, as whats that sticker on the fuel inlet..

Agreed. I suspect that is how it ended up with an incorrect base. Since starting this thread I have discovered the correct casting number of the base/throttle body for the 7028264 and found a nice one to replace this one prior to getting it professionally restored.
You ever get your carb rebuilt? I noticed your old one is missing the little connecting rod/wire from the accelerator pump lever to the gizmo on the front/top that has the rectangular sheet metal cover on it. I personally never had any luck with Cliff, sent 2 emails never got a response. I like the Carb Shop out here in LA.
I have been corresponding with Cliff Ruggles and planning to have him restore it when his schedule permits. I'll have to look at pictures and diagrams to understand what that part is that you are mentioning. Do you have a photo showing that part? Thanks.
Do you stll need pics Jim?
Yeah, look at Number 18... I take it back, looked at another picture of your carb and it DOES have it! Sorry abut the confusion..

http://thefirstgensite.com/library/partscounter/illustrated/carb/carb1.html
Okay. Thanks. I did replace a couple rods since those earlier pictures. There were two different versions of those rods around '68 so when I replaced the base with a correct one, I also purchased and added the correct rods for the 7028264.
Here are some pics of my 7028264 Quadrajet carb I bought from a guy on this forum.

Attached picture CIMG6495 Part No 7028264  XE.JPG
Attached picture CIMG6490.JPG
Attached picture CIMG6491.JPG
Attached picture CIMG6492.JPG
Attached picture CIMG6493.JPG
Attached picture CIMG6495.JPG
Attached picture CIMG6496.JPG
Nice carb! Even has the stock plastic choke cam still installed!
Looks great. I hope mine can look that nice when it is done.
Originally Posted by Jimc2002
Looks great. I hope mine can look that nice when it is done.

I got lucky. It was freshly rebuilt by Cliff and runs like a top!

I have another carb that has been rebuilt and never used. Not sure what the application is. https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/325425.html#Post325425
I recently had Quadrajet Power rebuild my 7028264 carb and I gotta say he’s very responsive, did a great job and turned it around quicker than I expected. I put it on and with very little adjustment it’s running well. I’ll try to post a couple pictures later today.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)