First Generation Firebird
Posted By: garlanka 1967 Firebird turn signal cancel issue - 09/28/20 01:35 PM
Ok, looking for some expertise. I have a rebuilt 67 tilt column that has been in the car since 2013. During that period of time the turn signals have worked, but the cancel mechanism has not. I have had the wheel off a couple of times, and purchased a second cancel button in hopes that would fix the problem. At this point I can confirm it is a Delco turn signal switch. Everything is completely tight, and seems to move as it should, but the cancel button does not seem to be able to put enough pressure on the red and blue pins to reset the turn signal stalk. Not sure if this matters, but the entire turn signal mechanism and surrounding parts are completely dry. Someone told me this area should be heavily greased? Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is one of the last few gremblins I am trying to resolve with this car.

Thanks in advance!
Needs a new turn signal switch, should still be able to get them from GM.
Posted By: garlanka Re: 1967 Firebird turn signal cancel issue - 10/02/20 01:37 AM
Jeff, thanks for he reply. Just curious to why you think it is the turn signal switch? The entire column was rebuilt with a brand new switch. I will gladly replace if it is a bad part, but trying to understand what signs indicate a bad turn signal switch.

Thanks
New doesn't always mean good.

Mine did the same thing and FWIW, I don't remember any grease on the old one or putting grease on the new one when I did it...been a long time.

Also, the tilt switches are different from the non-tilt switches.
does your switch have the small round springs on it? That is what turns it off as the cancelling cam turns with the wheel.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1967/pontiac/firebird/parts/sm211.html

or does your switch look like this one

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1967/pontiac/firebird/parts/sm226.html

Posted By: garlanka Re: 1967 Firebird turn signal cancel issue - 10/05/20 09:12 PM
Unfortunately in the world of replacement parts of have encountered my fair share of new parts not working. With this job I had hoped not to have to fight pulling the column apart. However, it would be nice to finally have them working as they should.

Thanks again for the feedback and help.
Posted By: garlanka Re: 1967 Firebird turn signal cancel issue - 10/05/20 09:13 PM
Mine is the Delco Switch, which I was told was the better version to have based on available of replacements.
Originally Posted by garlanka
Mine is the Delco Switch, which I was told was the better version to have based on available of replacements.

Delco is OEM and OEM is not just better for our cars, but all cars these days. You'd be surprised how many aftermarket parts are faulty right out of the box. Especially in the world of computer sensors, CKP, CMP, TPS etc...If you can get OEM you won't be doing the job twice.
Posted By: garlanka Re: 1967 Firebird turn signal cancel issue - 10/07/20 07:49 PM
By chance, would you know what the original part number is for the factory Delco switch? I have come across a few NOS, but have been able to confirm the part number for a 67 tilt column.

Thanks again for the help!
Originally Posted by garlanka
By chance, would you know what the original part number is for the factory Delco switch? I have come across a few NOS, but have been able to confirm the part number for a 67 tilt column.

Thanks again for the help!

I do not, sorry.
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: 1967 Firebird turn signal cancel issue - 10/09/20 12:40 PM
You could check group 2.895 at http://www.thefirstgensite.com/library/partscounter/number/ele/ele9.html for your application for a GM part number. I recall that when I was looking for the correct GM switch for my Bird back many years ago, the switch part numbers varied by year, AT vs man, tilt vs non-tilt, column shift vs console. I think I finally ended up with one for column shift and removed the light socket and ignored the light's wire.
Posted By: garlanka Re: 1967 Firebird turn signal cancel issue - 10/09/20 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jimc2002
You could check group 2.895 at http://www.thefirstgensite.com/library/partscounter/number/ele/ele9.html for your application for a GM part number. I recall that when I was looking for the correct GM switch for my Bird back many years ago, the switch part numbers varied by year, AT vs man, tilt vs non-tilt, column shift vs console. I think I finally ended up with one for column shift and removed the light socket and ignored the light's wire.

Jim, this was extremely helpful.

Thanks for your help!
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)