First Generation Firebird
Posted By: kcpaul Which Rear Shocks for a Driver? - 10/04/21 03:12 PM
Spiral are not meant for a driver.

Koni adjustable were a 634 option. These are available: Koni 80 1953 for 67-69 Firebird with multileaf rear springs - Classic (Red).

Or, the much cheaper but incorrect KYB GR-2 or Gas-a-Just?

Just doing rears and leaning towards the Koni.
Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: Which Rear Shocks for a Driver? - 10/04/21 04:20 PM
How correct do you need to be, will it be the only incorrect component on the car?

I run the KYB Gas-a-just and they do a fine job.
Posted By: kcpaul Re: Which Rear Shocks for a Driver? - 10/04/21 07:24 PM
Trying to do everything original I can. Figured if the Koni were a real option, is a better product, and have a lifetime warranty this would be the way to go.

If the new Koni shocks look like or will pass for the old ones I will go them.
Posted By: kcpaul Re: Which Rear Shocks for a Driver? - 10/07/21 04:17 PM
It appears we should not be using gas shocks on our 1 gen Firebirds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o70v71Rxsyg

The Koni shocks are hydraulic.
Huh, interesting. I’m running KYB gas-a-just with Hotchkis lowering springs rear, cut coils front. Fresh, smooth pavement, beautiful. Our normal crap Indiana roads,
very harsh.
Would be interested to learn your experience with Koni’s
if you go that way.
Posted By: Bartbird Re: Which Rear Shocks for a Driver? - 10/12/21 01:16 PM
It really depends on how stuck in the head about being "original", if your is 100% original down to the dated plug wires and only driven to shows to be judged by people who know what to look for and will hit you for points on not having those things well then yeah go for the ones that came with the car, as far as what "we're supposed to be doing" ?? let's relax a little, myself I hate "restomods". I like a rake, I run air shocks in the back and gas charged in the front, I don't like the way they sit from the factory nor how they drive, if someone looks under my car and says "gee pal you're running the wrong shocks" I say I come to shows to see other cars, I don't need a $2 trophy to stroke my ego.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)