First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt steering wheel restoration - 11/14/07 07:50 PM
http://www.garyssteeringwheel.com/services.htm
Posted By: ho428 Re: steering wheel restoration - 11/14/07 09:45 PM
Found the other one.

http://members.shaw.ca/stwheels/index.htm
Posted By: pedlondarite Re: steering wheel restoration - 11/15/07 01:24 AM
I can recommend the one HO428 posted. They did an amazing job on mine.
Posted By: Earlybird Re: steering wheel restoration - 01/20/08 08:03 AM
pedlon, if you don't mind, what did your's cost to have it redone?
Posted By: pedlondarite Re: steering wheel restoration - 01/23/08 01:51 AM
About $650.00 Canadian. It went in with all the usual cracks where the spokes meet the hub.

He did a great job.
Posted By: gernes Re: steering wheel restoration - 01/24/08 12:37 AM
For that money you are better off to have your wheel recasted.
Look at my old posts.There is a fabulous picture there.
Posted By: Flowjoe Re: steering wheel restoration - 01/30/08 08:04 AM
Originally Posted By Bjorn Sefeldt

Do you have personal experience with them Bjorn?

Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: steering wheel restoration - 01/30/08 04:37 PM
No, just heard from others...I think I got this from the L list (fgfs email list)
Posted By: Flowjoe Re: steering wheel restoration - 01/30/08 05:35 PM
looks like the other guy is in Canada..so it might be easier for us south of the boarder guys to use the other vender...would like a testimonial though...anyone?
Posted By: SethMast Re: steering wheel restoration - 08/22/08 04:52 AM
Anyone know of a place to restore the FORMULA 3 spoke wheels?
Posted By: tico Re: steering wheel restoration - 10/24/08 08:30 PM
Thank you for help.
Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 06/08/10 06:38 PM
Hi Guy's I have a new web site up and running now. It's about 90% complete so please check it out.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada .... eh!
web site: www.stwheelz.com
Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 11/19/10 06:47 PM
Here are a few shots of a wheel I recently completed for a customer in Calgary. I know ... it's a MOPAR wheel for a 68 Roadrunner but I wanted to show you a modification I've been doing more and more on vintage steering wheels.

The owner was complaining about how thin the rim felt so I increased the thickness by about 1/2" so it's more comfortable to grip. This is something that can be done on any wheel and doesn't take away from the original look. snapfish roadrunner wheel top view side by side with original wheel close-up of finish
Posted By: Dads68FB Re: steering wheel restoration - 01/27/11 07:44 AM
can you provide me a phone number to give you a quick call.

Thanks,

Lee
Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 01/27/11 08:46 AM
Hi Lee, here is all my contact info. You can call me pretty much any time and if I don't answer, just leave a message with your contact info and a time I can get back to you.

Thanks, Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
8449-14 ave
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada
T6K-1X3
780-450-1397
Posted By: Banshee Re: steering wheel restoration - 08/10/11 01:30 AM
I am going to try and restore my wheel myself with KBS Nu Metal. After buying the epoxy, Dremel tool and bits, wax/grease remover and after another $50 to have the wheel painted...I am in about $150.

Looks like quite a bit of time and finesse needed. Will keep you posted on the results.
Posted By: garlanka Re: steering wheel restoration - 08/29/11 02:44 AM
Any progress? If you get discouraged I have a contact that charges between $250-$400 to do a wheel.

Good luck
Posted By: Banshee Re: steering wheel restoration - 08/30/11 06:11 PM
I have decided after many sleepless nights to have the steering wheel recast at a cost of $900. It will look as new. The collar where the shaft/sleeve was really bad and would take alot of effort and skill to drill, fill and clamp/compress this area in order to get a perfect circular finish. It may have worked, but then again, it may crack during a hard turn or spirited driving and I dont want to risk property damage.

If anyone knows of someone who can proply fix this or recast this wheel for less than $900, PLEASE let me know!
I have decided after many sleepless nights to have the steering wheel recast at a cost of $900. It will look as new. The collar where the shaft/sleeve was really bad and would take alot of effort and skill to drill, fill and clamp/compress this area in order to get a perfect circular finish. It may have worked, but then again, it may crack during a hard turn or spirited driving and I dont want to risk property damage.

If anyone knows of someone who can proply fix this or recast this wheel for less than $900, PLEASE let me know!

Posted By: Gus68 Re: steering wheel restoration - 09/01/11 05:13 AM
Did you get a quote from guy here in Alberta?

https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218223

Nearly bought a 68 from BC this year. Too rusty but it had an awesome steering wheel.
Posted By: Banshee Re: steering wheel restoration - 09/01/11 08:01 AM
$900
Posted By: Gus68 Re: steering wheel restoration - 09/01/11 09:47 AM
Yes, he is a weee bit pricey...Like everything else here in Camelot.
Posted By: garlanka Re: steering wheel restoration - 09/04/11 01:32 AM
Banshee, I will get you the number of the guy I know that does a great job, and charges half of what you were quoted above.
Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 03/29/12 06:50 AM
Hi guys, I just posted a series of pictures showing the process I use from start to finish on a customers 1968 DeLuxe wheel from here on this site. You can find them on my "The Steering Wheel Guy" FaceBook page by following this link.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Steering-Wheel-Guy/200617011737

You can check through all my pictures there to see what kind of damage can be repaired and what the finished product looks like. It will also show you the amount of preperation, special materials and labor required.

You can also check out my web site at: www.stwheelz.com

Thanks, Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy

Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:17 AM
The damage from 40+ years of wear and tear... as you can see, every part of the wheel has cracked, shifted and warped. It's nice that there aren't any chunks missing or broken off but even if they were, it can all be repaired.

Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:19 AM
The repairs.

By using some heat and gently manipulating of the original but misshaped plastic, I coax the material as close to it's original shape as possible. After cooling, I fill any voids behind the plastic (along the steel core) with resin. Now the plastic can't contract anymore!

The cracks are filled to overflowing with resin and once it sets, I file and sand it smooth with the surface of the wheel.

Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:21 AM
The next step is to wrap the entire wheel with random weave carbon fiber cloth and 3 more coats of resin.

Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:27 AM
Now after a bit (okay, ALOT) of filing/sanding ... we have a smooth surface for paint. As you can see in the last picture, I cover all the openings with carbon fiber cloth including where the screws for the spoke covers go. That way I can sand and get a smother finish. The holes are cut open and detailed after the surface is sanded smooth.
Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:31 AM
I always base coat every wheel in Black so it's easy to see any low spots when sanding the surface smooth. I spray clear over the Black and then sand it smooth in preparation for the final color coat (Red in this case)

As you can see, the surface is pretty darn smooth already...

Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:34 AM
A quick White base coat for the final Red will mean less Red has to be applied to reach full color saturation.
Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:38 AM
....and now the final clear coat of acrylic urethane (RM DC8500)
leaving and incredibly shiny and durable surface that will withstand many many years and miles of even daily driving. Remember how cracked and out of shape this wheel was??? [email:https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...390935069_n.jpg]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...390935069_n.jpg[/email]
Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:40 AM
Assembled and ready to ship back to FGB member Lee.
Posted By: stwheels Re: steering wheel restoration - 04/02/12 01:48 AM
Back in the car where it will be enjoyed for many years and miles of driving and showing.

The Steering wheel is something you use EVERY time you drive your vehicle and if it has any cracks or damage it sticks out like a sore thumb, not only to you, but to anyone viewing your restored interior. If you'd like a quote to get your wheel restored please drop me a line at: stwheels@shaw.ca or give me a call at: 780-450-1397 to discuss your needs and the options available.

Thanks, Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)