First Generation Firebird
Have you guys seen this one on E-bay? Sleddog, this looks like wht you were looking for all those years.

Aegean Blue, Teal Interior, allmost all original, never been restored, 51k miles, one 87 year old owner, bird glass, gauge cluster, deluxe interior, Fold down rear seat, white original top. If I only had an extra $35k!! It looks like a great car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebird...=US_Cars_Trucks

Nice looking original bird. It would be nice to have a lot of detailed photos from that car to use as a source for a restoration.
Always interesting to read feedback.
Hi Ken:

Hope the run to Lake Geneva went well, got back a short while ago from up north and would have liked to have been there. Regarding the 68 vert, two things that kind of bother me (ok, maybe more but....) this deluxe interior doesn't look like it has comfort weave inserts which I thought was the meaning of "deluxe" as an option for interior seat upholstery. Also, what’s with all the pitting on the front end suspension and the fresh painted inspection markings?

Looks to be a nice car but kind of large money for something that is represented as untouched with very limited original documentation and photos.
Just saying,

Kevin-
Nice ride. Hope it goes to a private collection or museum. I'm not sure what drives the comfort weave. i had deluxe interior but it did not have comfort weave on it. The design was exactly the same but in vinyl.

Hope it goes high! Love that blue on blue! Too bad carpet is black.
Keven, I agree something is not right here. The car looks way to freshly done to be "original" not-restored. I think Wovenweb is on to something, and I would sy check closely before buying.

On another note - (I posted this thred so I guess I can hijack it!) we had a great cruise to Lake Geneva, 10 birds in total, and we actually had time after lunch to go on a great cruise around the lake. The weather was dry & crisp and the fall colors were beautiful. I've posted a lot of photos on the Facebook site, and I am working on the story for our website.

Ken
Another (supposed) non-paying buyer. (car relisted a third time)

Sometimes that happens when a friend of the seller is bidding up the price for them...
I believe there was another '68 owner on this site that had the same deluxe interior on his car...not the comfort weave. Cannot recall off the top of my head, but that might be correct.

Regarding the other items pointed out, I concur. For saying the car has not been touched except for some few items, I find the following to be interesting:
- engine paint sure looks brand new with no heat discoloration?
- Thought the gas tank straps were supposed to be black?
- What is it with the black rear leaf springs? That is certainly not right.
- Also not sure the front suspension finishes are correct either.
Originally Posted By Kens68Redbird
Have you guys seen this one on E-bay? Sleddog, this looks like wht you were looking for all those years.

Just saw this thread Ken, been off the site a lot lately with things happening around here.. She is a beauty, needs carpet. I love that blue. They have obviously dolled her up a bit to sell in a couple spots- but that saves the next.guy work! Yeah this is what i was looking for, hope it goes to a good home!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebird...=US_Cars_Trucks

I was VERY interested in that car, but sadly just too high of a price. Do folks on here think the final price of $43,177 is really accurate? I'd be happy with a 350, Manual, & convertible. Seems to be hard to find the right one and most are Automatic Trans. hmmm.
Well, I decided to sign up on this site as I have always loved these cars.
I guess I'll keep looking and learn as much as I can to find a gem for a decent price.

Cheers,

James
I recently saw this myself and was in love. But sadly it was priced way too high…recently sold for $43,177!!!
The seller most not have liked the $35 bid and claims the buyer fell through. hmmm.
What do people think about the price? Are they really going for that much? I guess the 400 engines are.

Well, I am looking for a 1968 Bird, Manual Transmission, convertible, and of course a good color. (black or Blue would rock)
I'd be fine with a 350 engine actually. (a little better gas mileage!)
I would ideally love to have the cluster gauge option, but I see that gauge can be purchased and was curious how difficult
it would be to hook up all the goodies. Has anyone done that? I would suspect replacement parts would be required in the engine compartment for Oil, Temp, Volts.

Well, I am new here, and trying to gather info about these cars and keep an eye out for a great find. I feel in love with these
when I was in college in the 90's and the prices were a bit more reasonable then….kicking myself for buying a british sports car! hah. An american muscle car would have been easier to get parts for and a lot easier to work on. I owned a '71 Blazer and could find parts at any auto store for cheap and easy to work on myself.

I guess I'll keep looking at all the various sites - I doubt many for sale are posted on this site, because most members already HAVE a firebird. :-)

cheers,

james

(i posted last night, but didn't see my post come through…we'll see if this one does)
There is a guy on this site that might possibly sell his... maybe. I will send him a message and let him know you are looking.
I was the one who won this auction at $43,177. Long story short, I never purchased the car. Owner went to process the title and found it had a lien on it. I told him I was fine with waiting until he got it cleared, but he started getting a little evasive and completely stopped communicating with me. Whole thing was a little weird and I eventually stopped asking for updates.

Also FYI - They guy selling this isn't really the first owner, he's the 2nd owner that just never titled the car when he bought it.
eBay listing where it sold for $43k

Look guys, when you buy a car get it registered right away, even if you do not want to drive it for a while.

If you are successful at registering it then your state recognizes you as the owner.
Titles will be in the owner's possession providing there are no outstanding liens.
Title will be in the "lien holder" possession if lien outstanding.

What happens if you buy car and you don't register it and therefore you did not do a lien search?
And as it turns out, it actually has an outstanding lien.
10 years later you want to sell car. Owner #1 is required to clear off lien...but he died years ago.
You have to prove to DMV that you, owner#2 own the car before they release a copy of title to you to give to owner#3.
And at same time some guy is trying to steal the VIN ownership from you.

Get the picture...get your car registered to protect your investment. You don't to keep it current if you are not driving it. You just need to be the last owner on record.

Sounds like something similar is happening here. Seller is a flipper that did not want the cost to register and sully up the owner history. Now he is really f'd.

Why do the flippers get these awesome cars.
Here are the pictures from the eBay sale:

Attached picture $_57.JPG
Attached picture 2$_57.JPG
Attached picture 3$_57.JPG
Attached picture 4$_57.JPG
Attached picture 7$_57.JPG
Attached picture 8$_57.JPG
Attached picture 10$_57.JPG
Attached picture 11$_57.JPG
Attached picture 12$_57.JPG
Attached picture 13$_57.JPG
Attached picture 14$_57.JPG
Attached picture 15$_57.JPG
Attached picture 16$_57.JPG
Attached picture 17$_57.JPG
Attached picture 18$_57.JPG
Attached picture 19$_57.JPG
Attached picture 20$_57.JPG
Attached picture 22$_57.JPG
Attached picture 21$_57.JPG
Attached picture 23$_57.JPG
Attached picture 24$_57.JPG
My absolute favorite is sleeze ball sales dude that does the narration about the car. The accent and the verbiage friggin dirtbag lol
So the car is going to be posted again? After all these years, it seems really weird that there is a lien on a car this old and was owned by the original owner. Totally weird. Generally titles state clearly if a car has a lien, I guess the flipper mobster guy (hey, he is from Chicago.) didn't want to deal with it as someone else pointed out. hmmm. Super sketchy.
I suspect the original owner never applied for the lien-free registration after paying the car off or lost the 'proof of payment' that accompanies the reg. Every state does it different i am sure. Sure is a sweet car. I would love to own it.
We have that happen a lot here in Canada. We don't have title's so it's up to the seller to have the liens removed.

So if no one follows up then it get's left on record. All the seller need do is to get a letter from debtor (Bank) to indicate they no longer have an interest in this car. Bring that to the DMV and you will get you registration.

Your system is different than ours but your DMV must have a process to handle these sort of situations.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Sorry for the late, delayed response. My two cents:

Not sure on factory procedure, but if orig. paint, why is body paint on trunk/rubber seal? Was it installed after paint?
Where is lower back part of original top across lower back plastic window? Wasn't factory done that way? Not sure.
Trunk does have original splatter plaint, which is easiest to redo with can paint, but he left that original!
Shouldn't the trans. also have the vin no. on it???
I think it went low, if it is as original as he claims. But, that's why you don't sell on ebay. Its a very nice car.
I'm not knocking it, but just raising a few questions for restoration reasons. Merry Xmas all!
The rear window is correct. That is how they were from the factory.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)