First Generation Firebird
Posted By: bill v Subframe bushing shims - 03/18/17 05:11 PM
OK, we replaced the left side subframe bushings so far today, gonna get on the right side shortly.

I really need to know that what I did is ok for now.

The front subframe bushing stand hole is too big from deterioration. This is the one directly underneath the firewall.

I put a shim on top and on bottom of stand to cut down the hole size. I used .035" galvanized plate. I realize this is a temporary fix until I buy a welder. I tightened the bolts to 96 ft/lbs.

Q: have I done anything very dangerous??? or am I ok for now???

thanks bill v
Posted By: cme469 Re: Subframe bushing shims - 03/18/17 07:23 PM
Bill v, Left side in, cool! You've been busy. I forgot to share with you how I avoided disconnecting the
Steering rag joint. How did you end up doing it? On the spacer you installed, I don't think it would be dangerous. Can't see how it could go anywhere.
Best of luck!
Ron
Cme469
Posted By: bill v Re: Subframe bushing shims - 03/18/17 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Ron. Both sides are in now, we've been out there fussin around since about 9:30 this morning.
You know, I kinda forgot about the rag joint, Thats why we struggled with that side, with me prying and Mary setting the bushing from inside the engine compartment we had just enough room.

Unfortunately, we had more rust on the pass side. When you just look at the pass side it looked way better then the drivers side. When I got them apart , it was worse.
I now have those shims/hole repair pieces on 3 of the connection points . not all were oversized, the 2 on pass side just had a lot of rust.

I will probably take it to a welder/ fabricator to repair when we get back on the road and make it perfect. seems to be pretty important.
The pass side went together real easy. I did not do the Radiator bushings, will have the body do them when the front end comes apart or if I take it apart.

Torqued to 96 ft/lbs, shims/repair metal .035 thick galv.

Opinions???

Attached picture 20170318_153342_HDR_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20170318_153329_HDR_resized.jpg
Posted By: bill v Re: Subframe bushing shims - 03/18/17 08:23 PM
heres a pix of the pass side front with the plate on bottom. there is also a plate above the stand.

Attached picture 20170318_150057_HDR_resized.jpg
Posted By: cme469 Re: Subframe bushing shims - 03/19/17 01:02 AM
Good job billv, looks like ya cut those shims nice and tight to the perch. That should help them from moving till you get a weld on them. Like to see more pics of the build.
Mines going in to frame rack and lots of new metal April 10th. Its gonna be real hard to let her out of my sight after 41 years of nobody else touching her!!
Posted By: ped Re: Subframe bushing shims - 03/19/17 11:42 AM
Been there done that...

Attached picture WP_20140518_003.jpg
Attached picture WP_20140518_005.jpg
Posted By: bill v Re: Subframe bushing shims - 03/19/17 10:15 PM
The shims(what Im calling them for now) are pretty thin in my opinion (.035").

Does anyone know what the dia. of the subframe bushing hole should be?

One thing that puzzled me was, The outside Dia. of the top and bottom parts of the bushings were not the same. It was real noticable on the larger bushings for the spot below the firewall. any thoughts?

thanks bill v
Posted By: cme469 Re: Subframe bushing shims - 03/20/17 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by bill v

One thing that puzzled me was, The outside Dia. of the top and bottom parts of the bushings were not the same. It was real noticable on the larger bushings for the spot below the firewall. any thoughts?

thanks bill v

Billv, I remember the bushings at the 2 and 3 positions were a larger diameter on the top bushing.
The top was bigger (perhaps because it carries the weight) and has a ridge that inserts into the frame
perch. The core support bushings (no 1 position) will be smaller and go in kind of upside down compared to 2 and 3.
Keep on keeping on!
Ron
Cme469
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)