First Generation Firebird
Posted By: bill v Exhaust Manifold repair - 03/19/17 10:21 PM
Broken bolts and or studs. Yup, pretty common, I get it.

The drivers side E.M. had 2 broken studs in it on both sides of the exit port(pipe Connection). I ended drilling them out with hand tools, and re tapped them. one of them goes through to the unit into the exhaust cavity.. I dont have the full depth of the threads after repair, they are a little sloppy but will probably tighten up.

Question: are these usually studs? or are they bolts? I did not do that side, the pass side had bolts that came out easy. are both sides the same with studs or bolts?

Thanks bill v

Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: Exhaust Manifold repair - 03/19/17 10:30 PM
I believe they are studs on both sides.
Posted By: bill v Re: Exhaust Manifold repair - 03/20/17 02:03 AM
Thanks Doc

like I said, the pass had 2 bolts and they were loose. in fact the flange wasn't tight.

What grade studs do I need to put in there? or can I just use a standard all thread or something?

and ofcourse, Bill V's dumb question of the day. There was no gaskets between the exhaust pipe and the manifold. seems to me that there should be . Does a gasket go there?

Attached picture 20170319_144515_HDR_resized.jpg
Posted By: cme469 Re: Exhaust Manifold repair - 03/20/17 03:12 AM
Billv, just came in from work and saw your post. Doc is correct, they are studs. I have a good right manifold from a 69 350 if you want it. Ive run mine with no gaskets (unlike chebbys) I think that's how they came. Never had a problem.
Ron
Cme469
Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: Exhaust Manifold repair - 03/20/17 02:39 PM
I'd use grade 8, as far as gaskets go...not really sure, my factory manifolds have been gone for quite some time.
Posted By: Mushroombert Re: Exhaust Manifold repair - 03/20/17 03:10 PM
Pretty common part. Any auto parts store should have them, just need to know diameter and length.
Posted By: bill v Re: Exhaust Manifold repair - 03/20/17 09:14 PM
Thanks guys,

Ron, I think im good with these Thanks.

and Ill try the local parts store for some studs

bill v
Posted By: bill v Re: Exhaust Manifold repair - 04/01/17 11:34 PM
Man, I just had to show you guys this. I used the Hirsch paint on this manifold.

Used a torch to heat it up to a high temp. then wire wheeled it, and painted. it looks like new.

bill v

Attached picture 20170401_181551_HDR_resized(1).jpg
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Exhaust Manifold repair - 04/03/17 12:04 PM
Nice! Good job.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)