First Generation Firebird
Posted By: no1cherryman '67 400 radiator overflow tank options - 04/13/17 06:20 PM
Could someone help me with options on style and placement of an overflow bottle/tank. Pictures would be great. I've seen where you can maybe get a later model Camaro bottle and place it under the right side fender on the inner fender out of sight which is what I'd prefer. 67 FB 400

Thanks
Posted By: HaroldB Re: '67 400 radiator overflow tank options - 04/13/17 07:14 PM
Why do you need an overflow. You leave radiator fluid 3" from top when cold, so it has room to expand.

These look like they could fit anywhere.
Link1

Link2

Ames Performance has a nice one too. Part Number FP196DH
Posted By: Bob S. Re: '67 400 radiator overflow tank options - 04/13/17 07:41 PM
I use my windshield washer tank. Works perfect with no modification.. I don't squirt windshirld washer fluid all over my car so the tank was available. There really isn't a lot of spare space under the hood.
Posted By: rohrt Re: '67 400 radiator overflow tank options - 04/13/17 09:08 PM
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632522

Look at the Nova tank. pretty much a factory look and fit. I would guess it may not work for a convertible with the cocktail shakers in place.
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: '67 400 radiator overflow tank options - 04/16/17 01:57 PM
Here is a link to the topic in these forums and it also shows pics of the Nova bottle, I actually bought one of these to use on mine, but have since changed my mind since I am now doing something a little different then my original plans. https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums...tor+%2Bbottle&Search=true#Post296908
I added an over flow bottle , just to see how much I lost ,. IF it turned hot....I bought bthe bottle from Classic (not stock for Firebirds), and moved it to the spot my windshield water bottle was, then welded the bracket for the windshield bottle to it....as this way they fit better....but had both bottles next to ea other....bracket t bracket...worked out well....and I never really lost any water, it just pushed out into the bottle , if I put too much in radiator...level should be about 1 inch below rim on filler opening........but has not "originality" look...
Originally Posted by USMC_Ordy
Here is a link to the topic in these forums and it also shows pics of the Nova bottle, I actually bought one of these to use on mine, but have since changed my mine since I am now doing something a little different then my original plans. https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums...tor+%2Bbottle&Search=true#Post296908

and I just looked at that thread...where I see the same reply from me as I just gave...LOL
An overflow bottle gives the advantage of always having a full radiator, no air in the system. All coolant, no air- more efficient.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: '67 400 radiator overflow tank options - 04/18/17 11:50 PM
I always thought the air/steam pocket at the top of the radiator could accelerate corrosion
Posted By: Tntdes Re: '67 400 radiator overflow tank options - 05/19/17 08:24 PM
I picked up a small aluminum recirculating tank from Jegs.

Installed it front side of the Rad support. Totally hidden.

Attached picture Photo Nov 01, 8 08 54 PM.jpg
Attached picture Photo Nov 01, 8 09 33 PM.jpg
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)